Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Handlebar Suspension stems for Folding Bikes....

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-24, 09:25 PM
Southside979

Bikes: Tern Verge P10, Dahon MU P27 folding bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi! I'm new here. I am looking at some handlebar suspension stems from Kinekt, Redshift, Shockstop, etc. Has anyone successfully install these on their folding bikes? Is there a handlebar suspension system dedicated for folding bikes??? I want to install one on my Tern Verge P10, but noticed the top of the stem is "T" shaped. Thnx for your input...
Old 02-23-24, 04:14 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by Southside979
Hi! I'm new here. I am looking at some handlebar suspension stems from Kinekt, Redshift, Shockstop, etc. Has anyone successfully install these on their folding bikes? Is there a handlebar suspension system dedicated for folding bikes??? I want to install one on my Tern Verge P10, but noticed the top of the stem is "T" shaped. Thnx for your input...
Yeah this is a big challenge on most folders. On a Bike Friday, less so, because they use a skinny long stem tube, parallel with the seat tube, and then topped with a conventional stem, I can't recall if old-style quill or new style outer clamp, but I've seen a pic with a 'Friday with a suspension stem. The problems with this system (to me) is a) the long skinny stem is more laterally flexible than the much fatter, tapered long stems on most folding bikes, and b) because the stem is parallel with the seat tube, it's more likely to be hit by your knees near the top when climbing out of the saddle (standing on pedals).

Most folding bikes have the long stem NOT parallel with the seat tube, more near vertical, so plenty of knee clearance, and, the advantage is, as the seat and handlebars (if a telescoping stem) are adjusted up, the effective top tube length increases, which is why many folders can accommodate riders 4'8" to 6'3" height. The downside of this is that most of those stems have the handlebar clamp integral with the stem vertical, so you cannot fit any alternate stem top, much less a suspension one. I have thought about perhaps on mine, if the stem diameter is correct size near the top, perhaps I might cut off the handlebar clamp and fit a suspension stem. But I just wondered now if anyone online sells a stem like that? I prefer a tall, one-piece stem because it is more laterally rigid, and I like my handlebars at that height (typically equal to the max adjustment height on telescoping stems). I don't see one on amazon, a tall stem without handlebar clamp.

Also in any search, be aware that some handlebars fold to the right, and some fold to the left, depending on whether you want the handlebars to be between the frame folds or outside them. Most folders fold to the left, and I have seen those with handbars both inside and outside the fold, when folded. Brompton frames (after swinging in the rear triangle/wheel) fold to the right, to sandwich the drivetrain between the folds, and then the stem and handlebar fold down outside the frame fold (I can't recall if keeping the fork pointed forward, or turning in backward facing).

My recommendation, is research the suspension stem that you want, and what size stem clamp it comes in, then see if you can find an aftermarket stem (or use your current one) if it has a tube diameter the same size, then cut off the integral clamp from the stem and put on the suspension one. Keep in mind that the stem was not designed for clamp loads if it has an integral welded or forged clamp, so this is all at your own risk.

EDIT: Here's a folding bike stem with conventional top section to accept a clamped stem:

https://www.amazon.com/Handlebar-Alu...dp/B07JPYR75V/

Last edited by Duragrouch; 03-02-24 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-23-24, 05:21 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 73 Posts
It doesn't help the OP, but I can confirm mounting a Redshift Shockstop stem is no problem on a Bike Friday:

It's worthwhile to do this. It really makes up for the bump absorption lost by with the small diameter wheel. It doesn't dive like the old school Allsop linkage stems, which I ran back in the day.
Old 02-23-24, 09:24 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Dahon telescoping part of the stem is around 28.4mm
Cut off the clamp and add a star nut and suspension stem.

I cut off one set of the 6 petals on the star nut for proper fit in the indentation on the telescoping stem.
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 02-23-24, 10:50 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
You would need a folding stem that allow a regular 1 1/8" stem to be mounted:
Both would add significant weight to the bike.

Old 02-24-24, 12:48 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
I guess my post above is TL: DR.