Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

‘Swinging’ 90 degree stem for Dahon Espresso

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-24, 03:55 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts

Morning all.

I have bought a replacement Espresso for my previous bike (the frame snapped).

one of the minor inconveniences about it was having to loosen off the 5mm allen bolts at the stem when folding the bike, to turn the handlebar 90 degrees.

is there an aftermarket stem with a quick release to obviate this problem?

thanks in advance.

here’s a photo of the replacement bike, because every thread needs photos:
Old 02-25-24, 04:33 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Hmm. Interesting. I don't *know* the answer, but will take a stab at it.

So as you describe, you loosen the current stem to turn 90 degrees to fold. Typical folding bike stems have the hinge at 45 degrees to the long axis of the bike, so fold both downward, and turn the handlebars sideways. Hard to see, but I think your stem setup may be compatible with this, in that I think your current stem clamps around the outside of the fork steer tube. (Although I have seen aftermarket folding stems that also clamp to the inside of the steer tube, "old-school". But I think yours is outside clamp.) I have not seen folding stems that short, they are usually very long, for 20" and 16" wheel bikes. Assuming you can find one that short, if it folds down to the left, it will be between both halves of the folded frame (because Dahons fold to the left). If the stem folds down to the right, it will be outside the frame fold, and this will probably fit better, allowing your frame to fold like it is currently. So you need a stem that is a) short, and b) right hinge. Both right and left hinge are available, but I see no folding stems on Amazon that are short.

The second option is to leave your current stem, but modify it to replace the (2?) allen screws with threaded quick releases like the seatpost clamp. Either the quick release is same size threads, so can screw in and use the lever on the screw "cap" sides, or the QR threads are smaller and can go through the threaded holes on the stem and have two nuts (locked against each other) on the exposed threads, with the lever on the cap sides. So you would still need to swivel the stem, but it should be quicker and easier with quick releases and not needing to use an allen wrench.

Let me know your thoughts on the above.
Old 02-25-24, 09:40 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
Let us see a couple pics of the current stem.
Old 02-25-24, 10:40 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

It’s a standard stem. I mean, with its predecessor I would just slacken off the two clamping bolts with a 5mm allen key, I can do this with the new bike; just wondered if there was a QR stem
out there that I didn’t know about.
Old 02-25-24, 12:57 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
Have a search for a Satori ET3.
https://www.satoribike.com/product_detail/ET3/
Likes For Reddleman:
Old 02-25-24, 11:59 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Reddleman
Have a search for a Satori ET3.
https://www.satoribike.com/product_detail/ET3/
Right there. A production version of what I suggested. Just couldn't find it online myself. I think that's exactly what the OP needs.

EDIT: Seems they made an earlier version called the ET2, closer to what I suggested, with standard quick-release lever. The ET3 is I'm sure improved, but if you can't find one, you might find a used ET2 for sale on ebay or such. Or make your own like I suggested.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 02-26-24 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-26-24, 05:00 PM
Barchettaman

I have found a Dutch stockist but they only sell wholesale.

hopefully fietsonderdelenvoordelig will send it to me in Germany!

in any case, I will of course report back. Thanks all.
Old 02-26-24, 09:45 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Barchettaman
I have found a Dutch stockist but they only sell wholesale.

hopefully fietsonderdelenvoordelig will send it to me in Germany!

in any case, I will of course report back. Thanks all.
Is there anything special of equal value that is available in Germany but not in their country? Money is fungible, but goods not always, and sometimes that is an advantage.

My first business trip to Germany, they said, "Bring a cordless (home) telephone, I'll pay you for it." I get there, something similar was 10X the price locally. People from the parent company, coming to the USA to work for one or two years, always bought a car here to use and return with.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 02-26-24 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-27-24, 02:28 AM
Barchettaman

I have no idea.

On the drop-down menu for ordering the part, NL and BE were options for shipping but not DE.

I have written to them directly and will see what they say.

in any case there is another option, a stem called

Moustache Bikes Quick-Park 100mm

Old 02-27-24, 04:08 AM
Duragrouch

I have no idea.

On the drop-down menu for ordering the part, NL and BE were options for shipping but not DE.

I have written to them directly and will see what they say.

in any case there is another option, a stem called

Moustache Bikes Quick-Park 100mm

I looked, looks great.

Notably, some of their other accessories look sketchy, these racks that appear to have no front stays, appearing to rely on the bolt friction at the bottom:

Old 02-28-24, 02:43 AM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Notably, some of their other accessories look sketchy, these racks that appear to have no front stays, appearing to rely on the bolt friction at the bottom:
It’s an ebike thing, they usually have invisible mountings using the mudguard/fender to fix back to the seatstays.
Old 02-28-24, 04:24 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 176 Posts
Morning all.

I have bought a replacement Espresso for my previous bike (the frame snapped).

one of the minor inconveniences about it was having to loosen off the 5mm allen bolts at the stem when folding the bike, to turn the handlebar 90 degrees.

is there an aftermarket stem with a quick release to obviate this problem?
thanks in advance.

here’s a photo of the replacement bike, because every thread needs photos:
Do you mean this: https://foldingbike.biz/epages/7665e...AHHANSTEMESP05

If you have a "modern steerer" 1"1/8 (28.6mm) dia, you can try this
https://foldingbike.biz/epages/7665e...STROTATESTEM26
Old 02-28-24, 04:34 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Reddleman
It’s an ebike thing, they usually have invisible mountings using the mudguard/fender to fix back to the seatstays.
I had thought about that but said naw, but looking now, I think you might be right. Trouble is, just like people with rack stays that are in a gentle curve between the rack and seatstay braze-ons, that allows the rack to minutely swing forward and back, which loosens the lower bolts. My rack stays are dead-straight, and due to my folding bike frame's very low seatstays (requiring super-extra-long stays), I attached them to the rack lower than designed, to get a better angle to resist swinging fore/aft.
Old 03-03-24, 02:52 PM
Barchettaman

I have a plan.

rather than drop 80€ on a rotating stem, I’m going to get a locking spacer for €10 (so I don’t constantly have to reset the headset preload) and just use the stem I already have.

The bike is in decent shape and fits me much better than its predecessor (large frame vs. Small/medium)

The bike only cost Ł149 and I will hopefully claw some of the purchase price back if I can sell on the 3x7 groupware and wheelset locally.

I have the 2x10 groupset and wheels from the old bike cleaned and ready to fit. Exciting times!
Old 03-04-24, 12:26 AM
Duragrouch

I have a plan.

rather than drop 80€ on a rotating stem, I’m going to get a locking spacer for €10 (so I don’t constantly have to reset the headset preload) and just use the stem I already have.
Interesting. At first I thought, well, how will you preload the locking spacer? But of course; You install the locker (loose) in place of a normal spacer under the current stem, preload it, lock the spacer, then clamp the stem for use, or remove at will. Smart.

But don't forget, I think you can easily turn your (allen) clamped stem into a quick release with simple additions of QR levers and spindles, a la the ET2 stem.
Old 03-04-24, 03:53 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 176 Posts
I have a plan.

The bike is in decent shape and fits me much better than its predecessor (large frame vs. Small/medium)

The bike only cost Ł149 and I will hopefully claw some of the purchase price back if I can sell on the 3x7 groupware and wheelset locally.

I have the 2x10 groupset and wheels from the old bike cleaned and ready to fit. Exciting times!

I thought if you feel brave, I mean god like brave, you could try that:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295312155...RoC_D8QAvD_BwE
Old 03-04-24, 04:07 AM
Duragrouch

(above) Well it's better than this setup:

Old 03-18-24, 05:08 AM
Barchettaman

This project is now complete.

I went with the locking spacer as shown below, under the stem:

Old 03-21-24, 12:02 AM
Duragrouch

Nice upgrades. If your bike serves you for a lot of utility like shopping, or any touring, I'd recommend at least a rear rack to hold panniers, and one that has a lower-tier for them, which makes the top platform easier to use.
Old 03-22-24, 05:37 PM
Barchettaman

I have a nice Blackburn rear rack from the donor bike, it’s really solid and I may very well put it on this one!

that rack and the FSA crankset are actually off another donor frame set, a Planet X Kaffenback that I got in Bristol years ago…despite many thousands of KMs the chainrings refuse to wear out!

Likes For Barchettaman:
Old 03-22-24, 11:38 PM
Duragrouch

(above) Yeah I like the lower tier on that rack. With the dovetail channel on top, I suspect it is made by Topeak. I also have a Blackburn rear rack on my Dahon, it was one of the few that positioned the panniers completely behind the axle, for good heel clearance on my folder. Alas, they no longer make that style.
Old 03-23-24, 08:40 AM
Barchettaman

Good eye! I just checked and it’s a Topeak Super Tourist DX.

In other news, I just picked this HON up locally yesterday, bike plus spare rear wheel and 7-speed cassette, and a saddle that I really like, for €75:

it’s a LOT rougher than it looks but there are a few good things:

It’s the bigger frame (52cm I think)
No dings, dents or cracks in the frame
new tyres and tubes
A brand new Shimano 8-speed cassette (!)
It folds really easily (many of these Espressi are bloody stiff at the hinge)
The drivetrain was rusty but has come up nicely with an ultrasonic clean and elbow grease with the wire brush. No discernible stretch in the chain either.

bad bits:

Frame is really rough and oxidised BUT it’s coming round nicely with wet and dry sandpaper

Front fork is knackered but I have the rigid fork from the Dahon above to go on. It’ll have v brake front and a disc rear, no problem. The headset seems ok.

Rear wheel was sold as ‘seized’ but it completely isn’t, I repacked it last night and whilst it’s not buttery smooth it’ll do.

That terrible 27.2mm suspension seatpost and saddle will go but I have replacements.

So here’s the plan:

the 7-speed shifters and rear derailleur from this one are going on it today, plus the spare rear wheel has a decent 7-speed cassette so that’ll be used with a spacer:

and it should be finished later. It will have a 3x7 drivetrain. What I will do with it then is another question, but I couldn’t pass up on the deal.