Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lun HYPER D45 vs Hunt 4454 Aerodynamicist

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-24, 06:02 PM
LowellD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade from aluminum wheels and think I've somewhat narrowed it down to these choices. Would appreciate hearing people’s opinions on them and how they compare to each other. Also would love to hear other suggestions in the $1200 usd range. Ride mostly flat to rolling areas. Thanks.
Old 03-08-24, 06:22 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Just by the numbers, the deeper front, wider internal width, lower total weight, and carbon fiber spokes tip the scales in favor of the Hypers.

I ride the rim brake version of the 46/54mm Hypers, the R45, and they’ve been excellent under my ~240lbs mass, feeling fast, stable and accurate

I’ve not ridden the Hunts, so cannot comment from a practical perspective on those.

My guess is that there’s not a whole lot, performance-wise, between the wheels.
Old 03-08-24, 09:32 PM
LowellD

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Seems like I just need to decide if the slightly better spec of the Hypers or the crash replacement/better warranty of the Hunts is more important to me.
Old 03-08-24, 11:18 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Hunt wheels are worst on the market for aerodynamics and the Winspace Lun Hyper is right on top. This is a no brainer. See the aero testing results below.

https://www.hambini.com/testing-to-f...icycle-wheels/
Old 03-09-24, 08:45 AM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
I can’t really compare, but I am very very happy with my Lún Hyper R45 wheels. FWIW.
Old 03-09-24, 11:02 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
I have the hunt aerodynamist 54/54 and I am very happy with them. Customer service is fantastic, they ship fast. Ride quality is excellent. Enjoyed them so much I bought a pair of limitless for my checkpoint. Those are also, amazing for the price.

I had narrowed my wheel search between these 2 as well. Ended up going with the hunts, due to the price and the lifetime warranty.