Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Why are you a randonneur?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-12, 09:51 AM
Commodus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like randonneuring because the guys in the club know so many more nice roads than I do. I mean it would take a lifetime to figure out all these great routes. Joining the club and going on these rides gives me instant access to decades of this accumulated route knowledge.

It's also nice for the safety aspect. Sure I can go on long rides by myself - and I often do - but I appreciate the safety aspect of having a large group of folks who know where you're going and approximately when you're going to get there. If something catastrophic happens, I have that bailout option of calling the route organizer and getting a ride somewhere - or if something really bad happens, at least I know there will be people looking for me who can find me.

And the people are great! Frankly, I rarely meet people who I am interested in talking to, in daily life. On rando rides, I almost always do! These nuts are just really interesting people, with interesting lives and interesting views on stuff. What better way to get to know someone than a 10 hour bike ride?

Another nice thing, it represents a good balance between just riding along, and a more sporting aspect. I don't always want to flog myself around a track for 45 minutes sweating blood and turning myself inside out, nor do I always want to wander along smelling the flowers. Randonneuring is a good middle ground that suits me very nicely.
Old 08-14-12, 11:20 AM
surreycrv 

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skiffrun
"You keep your own score in golf"
Not really. The only time you keep your own score in golf is when it is equivalent to a bicycle JRA. As soon as it becomes a real competition, your opponent or a judge is keeping your score, or keeping a duplicate score, and if you sign your score-card with a wrong stroke count on it, you are disqualified.
see that's just wrong on all counts. I played with a guy once who used the excuse, "We're not on the Tour, so I am not going to ruin my club or take a stroke" for the root he moved his ball away from. So if you need the crutch, then you have no right to ever compare scores, or in the rando world, time you completed, let alone if you actually did complete the course.

yes there are many scorekeepers on the PGA, but the only card that matters is the one carried by the player himself, which he signs then another person countersigns. Same thing in the rando world, lose your card, you dnf'd. Doesn't matter if the club kept a log of all the control points of your arrival and departure. Why, because that's the way brevets work.
Old 08-14-12, 11:28 AM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Back in the late 70's when I first started, nobody else was doing it in Canada - probably even in North America. It was interesting and fun riding all night in the rain with a small group, or by myself. It's probably the utlimate experience for the non-racing cyclist. I was racing at the time, so it was bad for my training to be doing 600-km rides, so four of the guys I rode with went to Paris to ride PBP and I stayed home and kept racing. It wasn't until about 2007 or 8 when I stopped racing that I drifted back into being a randonneur, although I pretty much do the minimum necessary to qualify for awards and, in 2011, for PBP.

So I guess I do this mostly for the challenge. If I were younger I might have gone all out to try to finish with the fastest guys in PBP, but at my age (61), it's enough just to finish the ride on a fixed gear! I like the accomplishment, I like knowing that I am officially an "ancien" of PBP, and having ridden it on fixed, I feel a kinship with the hard men who actually raced it back in the 30's and before, when they rode it on fixed gears, and on rough, unpaved roads.

Of course, stopping every now and then at some gas station and asking the attendant to sign your route card is an inconvenience, but it's an accepted part of the game. Usually, most controles at organized brevets are manned by volunteers, so there's no awkwardness about havng to get somebody to sign/timestamp your card, but nobody has ever refused. Back in the 70's, we had no volunteers, so it was pretty much all permanents ridden in a group, and not being an outgoing person, I much prefer stopping at a real controle. But then the route cards are collected and sent to France for verification, so there's an entire layer of verification and attendant recognition involved. The club gives out a pin for the first completion of each distance each year, and if you do the series, you get the medal from ACP. I don't do the series each year, and I've only done PBP once, unlike some people in our club (BC Randonneurs) who go every four years. And if I could get my act together and ride a fleche next year, I could even qualify for an ACP Randonneur 5000 medal, but it's not high on my list.

There are other challenges that don't require being a randonneur. This year's challenge for me is a California Triple Crown, even more of a challenge since I don't live in California and will need to fly down the last weekend of September to do my third ride. And next year's challenge is London-Edinburgh-London, which has no qualification requirements, other than being one of the first 750 or so to register when they open the registrations. And after that, I'll likely do the ride where you climb Mt. Ventoux over all three routes within 24 hours; I understand they have a punch clock at the top for that purpose! And all of the above on the fixie! (Yes, I know Ventoux has been done on a fixie over all FOUR (the 4th is the gravel road) routes!)

So I guess a lot of why I'm a randonneur has to do with just finding and overcoming challenges, and making the challenges a little harder. If it isn't hard, it isn't worth doing! (Yes, I know I could do it on a heavy Dutch commuter bike, but I like the fixie because it handles like a good racing bike. It just doesn't have the gears, so it's 80% me, 20% bike. With gears, it's 80% gears, 20% me.)

Luis
Old 08-14-12, 11:44 AM
BenHud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started randonneuring last year. I've met some wonderful people, and ridden farther than I ever thought I would be able to. The longer rides lead to a sense of adventure that I really enjoy. Riding across the countryside through the night is awesome. I love the nervous feelings before a 400 or 600, and the feeling of accomplishment after finishing is incredible.
Old 08-14-12, 04:56 PM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
Do I do that???? I try to be nice. Now I'm sad...
Don't be sad. Sardonic responses can be quite amusing sometimes.
Old 08-15-12, 03:25 AM
Wesley36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
I like randonneuring because the guys in the club know so many more nice roads than I do. I mean it would take a lifetime to figure out all these great routes. Joining the club and going on these rides gives me instant access to decades of this accumulated route knowledge.

It's also nice for the safety aspect. Sure I can go on long rides by myself - and I often do - but I appreciate the safety aspect of having a large group of folks who know where you're going and approximately when you're going to get there. If something catastrophic happens, I have that bailout option of calling the route organizer and getting a ride somewhere - or if something really bad happens, at least I know there will be people looking for me who can find me.

And the people are great! Frankly, I rarely meet people who I am interested in talking to, in daily life. On rando rides, I almost always do! These nuts are just really interesting people, with interesting lives and interesting views on stuff. What better way to get to know someone than a 10 hour bike ride?

Another nice thing, it represents a good balance between just riding along, and a more sporting aspect. I don't always want to flog myself around a track for 45 minutes sweating blood and turning myself inside out, nor do I always want to wander along smelling the flowers. Randonneuring is a good middle ground that suits me very nicely.
A big +1 on this post.
Old 08-15-12, 08:10 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
callipygian
Great word! I'm committing it to memory for future use.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-15-12, 01:49 PM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like to ride a lot and randonnees are an excuse to ride, a lot!
Old 08-16-12, 02:48 PM
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BenHud
I just started randonneuring last year. I've met some wonderful people, and ridden farther than I ever thought I would be able to. The longer rides lead to a sense of adventure that I really enjoy. Riding across the countryside through the night is awesome. I love the nervous feelings before a 400 or 600, and the feeling of accomplishment after finishing is incredible.
Great post - I started last year also with a Sept 200k in northern AZ which resulted in a DNF. I can't believe the progress I've made since that faithful ride.

Originally Posted by LWaB
I like to ride a lot and randonnees are an excuse to ride, a lot!
And, to eat a lot also.
Old 08-16-12, 06:31 PM
ILClyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why? I'm not sure yet. I'll let everyone know after my first ones next spring . . .

(longtime lurker, just registered -- I'm sure you all will hear a lot of q's from me in the coming months)
Old 08-18-12, 10:26 AM
Cyclotic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6. The women with great butts and skins suits are not randonneurs.

Ha. As a female randonneur with an admittedly great butt I take exception to is remark. However, based on my observation you'd be hard pressed to find even a Victoria's Secret model whose assets are flattered by bike shorts. They don't do the female form justice.

That said, cycling shirts don't look so great on my many middle-aged male rando buddies who employ their beer guts as a Lon distance nutritional strategy.

But I don't let it get in the way of my enjoyment of the sport or the wonderful and interesting people I meet while doing brevets.
Old 08-19-12, 10:23 PM
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cyclotic

Ha. As a female randonneur with an admittedly great butt I take exception to is remark. However, based on my observation you'd be hard pressed to find even a Victoria's Secret model whose assets are flattered by bike shorts. They don't do the female form justice.

That said, cycling shirts don't look so great on my many middle-aged male rando buddies who employ their beer guts as a Lon distance nutritional strategy.

But I don't let it get in the way of my enjoyment of the sport or the wonderful and interesting people I meet while doing brevets.
When I was in the service a million years ago, we used to say that if a woman looked good in fatigues, she'll look good in anything.

I suppose the same holds true for cycling garb.

Welcome to our little corner of the forum also!
Old 08-20-12, 04:43 AM
Jamesw2

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am not a Rando ear yet . . It may take years for me to stop laughing at this thread. And about rules: Yes we need them or Hells Angles would show up at the World Cup making them play with an american football
Old 08-20-12, 10:39 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclotic

Well I'm ashamed. It was obviously an insensitive generalization, and I am probably trying to make up for the fact I have never been slapped by a woman for an inappropriate comment - something I regret as I stagger toward my '60s. Although, I have sparred against a woman in Taekwondo and took a nasty kidney shot; warning to you guys out there, if you spar with a woman don't let them get inside, they are like ferrets.

So, I revise my top ten list and eliminate the 'no great butts' line, I'll keep my eyes open from now on. I'll offer to replace it with "Randonneurs have no sense of humor.".
Old 08-20-12, 11:45 AM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Well I'm ashamed. It was obviously an insensitive generalization, and I am probably trying to make up for the fact I have never been slapped by a woman for an inappropriate comment - something I regret as I stagger toward my '60s. Although, I have sparred against a woman in Taekwondo and took a nasty kidney shot; warning to you guys out there, if you spar with a woman don't let them get inside, they are like ferrets.

So, I revise my top ten list and eliminate the 'no great butts' line, I'll keep my eyes open from now on. I'll offer to replace it with "Randonneurs have no sense of humor.".
Randos with a good sense of humour are certainly highly sought after. If you're going to spend 15 hours riding beside someone, it is an important attribute!

Fortunately, it's not very rare among this crowd. For most, I would say it's nearly a necessity. Again, because of that whole 15 hours of riding thing!
Old 08-20-12, 12:02 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
Randos with a good sense of humour are certainly highly sought after. If you're going to spend 15 hours riding beside someone, it is an important attribute!

Fortunately, it's not very rare among this crowd. For most, I would say it's nearly a necessity. Again, because of that whole 15 hours of riding thing!
15hrs? you should see what it's like around 85-90hrs...
Old 08-20-12, 12:27 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I haven't been there yet, but I look forward to the experience! I think.
Old 08-20-12, 01:55 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
after 85 hours, I'm a joy to ride with. It's some of the intervening hours that are not as much fun
Old 08-20-12, 02:15 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

or, 'Most randonneurs don't appreciate typical sexists comments...' that would work too.

I don't think looking to score on a 27, 40, or 90 hour ride is a good plan of action, as the work / reward ratio would seem pretty slim.
YMMV, but if you're not getting it from your guy or gal at home, perhaps some readjustments are necessary.
Old 08-20-12, 02:33 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
No kidding.

If you aren't laughing at it all, you'd probably be crying. Well, OK ... maybe there's a bit of both. Sometimes all at once. And we wonder why people think we're crazy.
Old 08-20-12, 02:46 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Well, I think randonneuring is sort of cool, they have my respect, but if you were really looking for some balance:

3. Don't these people have something better to do with their time/lives?
We decided to take something of a break from Randonneuring this year in order to spend 7 months travelling (and cycling) around the world. However, there's a chance we might participate in a Randonneuring event if we happen across one along the way, and we'll likely do some more next year.

Is that the sort of thing you mean when you indicate that Randonneurs need something better to do with their time/lives?

Or do you think that staying home and doing things like ... say, mowing the lawn or watching TV, might be a better, more balanced choice?

Last edited by Machka; 08-20-12 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-17-24, 03:50 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
I'm bringing this zombie thread back to life because I think the question is still relevant today. A post on the topic that I made several years ago on my blog is suddenly getting more views so I think people are questioning themselves.

https://utahrandonneur.wordpress.com...randonneuring/
Old 01-17-24, 06:53 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I have had a series of health setbacks that make me wonder if I'm ever going to do the full randonneuring experience again. I still feel like I'm a randonneur though. I really enjoy 1200k, particularly PBP, but it's going to be a struggle getting back to that point.

Tbh though, I think going to full electronic proof of passage would be good for RUSA. I think that people plan routes worrying far too much about shortcutting. If you have to record your ride, that means that route planners can use nicer roads, that might be able to be shortcut. I always took a lot of satisfaction in designing a nice route that couldn't be shortcut, but others just route people down roads that nobody in their right mind rides on. Your blog post seems to argue both sides on this issue.
Old 01-17-24, 07:02 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
I'm bringing this zombie thread back to life because I think the question is still relevant today. A post on the topic that I made several years ago on my blog is suddenly getting more views so I think people are questioning themselves.

Thanks! I enjoyed reading the words of folks I admire and who have left this site so I don't get to talk to them anymore. Homeyba left us with a lot of quotable scripture. Me, I randoed because it was hard. I like to learn and do things which are difficult. Gives one a chance to inspect one's inner workings. And yes, one always needs a long hard climb somewhere near the end. Gotta see if anyone was stupid earlier. Our club does call rando "The Dark Side of cycling." And yes, there are some very followable butts out there, lifts the spirits you know, and no, I never had a bar bag. Questioning oneself is a good sign. Let's go out there and see what we got.
Old 01-19-24, 05:13 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead

That was a good read, thanks.

I wonder if it may be getting more views because of a recent surge in interest of randonneuring. “Gravel” may have hit a plateau and some people are always chasing something new, or N+1. And wasn’t there a GCN video on PBP (before GCN + closed down?).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.