Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Cracks in new Big Apple 20x2.0

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-18, 09:27 AM
wesgreen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts

I've been using Schwalbe tires forever for their reliability. That's why I was so shocked when a brand new Big Apple 20x2.0 (after being securely stored for 5 years in an airtight trash bag), developed long cracks in three spots, right along the center line of the tread, after being inflated correctly and ridden for the first time. It looks as if the rubber casing couldn't cope with the tire pressure. You can see the yellow protective layer through the cracks.
Has this ever happened to anyone else? Hate to throw away a $35 tire, but I guess I have to take it off to avoid a flat, at some point sooner rather than later.
Old 09-22-18, 11:25 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Contact Schwalbe ... take a picture of the production numbers on the inside of the tire and send with explanation.. I've received warranty Schwalbe tires in the past.
Old 09-24-18, 01:31 PM
wesgreen

Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 09-24-18, 01:43 PM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wesgreen
Thanks, I'll try that.
Honestly? At this age
after being securely stored for 5 years
it may be not a desireable situation but I would personally by no means ask for warranty after such a long time.
Old 09-24-18, 01:57 PM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by berlinonaut
Honestly? At this age it may be not a desireable situation but I would personally by no means ask for warranty after such a long time.
I didn't say ask for a warranty.. I said take a picture of the production data on the inside of the tire and send with an explanation of what transpired.. Schwalbe can evaluate.. Perhaps there were production issues in the batch. If nothing else it is data for Schwalbe to log..
Old 09-24-18, 08:21 PM
wesgreen

Filled out a warranty claim on their website today, with photos. It seems like a long shot, but we'll see. First time this happened to me, and I've often bought a few tires at a time. This one was from a different batch, I recall. I don't have a receipt anymore and don't recall where I bought it, but it looks like a clear case of product failure. I hope their quality isn't slipping! I read somewhere that Schwalbe stated their tires could be stored up to 5 years before use.
Old 09-25-18, 02:22 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
I had some Schwalbe Marathon's or possibly City Jets but can't remember which. They were gumwall/skinwall and so found the sidewalls aged/wore badly compared to even cheap tyres because I'm a heavy rider. I think adding silicon and carbon black to rubber not only makes the tyres harder wearing but adds UV resistance too. The cheap tyres seem to continue using the same thicker tread material for the their thicker, heavier sidewalls with the same rubber/silicon/carbon black compound. If you want heavy duty long life tyres look at the bicycles of Africa which have basic tyres nothing fancy, if you want light weight performance tyres with a shorter shelf life then Schwalbe provide such tyres. Some Schwalbes are probably ideal for people who put in high miles in a short amount of time so the tread is worn out before anything else fails. I don't like thin sidewalls (skinwalls) or gumwalls (natural rubber without or less of the silicon and carbon black). I just think like most things in cycling when you are making something lighter for performance there is often a sacrifice unless you throw so much money at it you can make something actually lighter and stronger and more long lasting. The big apples don't look like they have a gum wall but the description reads as quite light weight so wouldn't surprise me if they have effectively a skinwall sidewall as I think that is common to many Schwalbe tyres. I think I've read some forum posts where Schwalbe customer service has been excellent and replaced such tyres but it wouldn't surprise me if the cracking is perfectly normally for those tyres stored like that. Other tyres in the same circumstances may not have had a problem.
Old 09-26-18, 02:55 PM
wesgreen

Schwalbe got back to me within three business days. Their warranty rep wrote:
" I’m wondering if the duration of storage had dried the tire a bit causing this split. In any case, it’s not normal or something we see often."
He sent me a coupon for a free tire, with free shipping.
I store my spare tubes and tires in closed plastic bags to slow the drying - out process (in an apt., so no climate extremes). It's worked for me until now. Having been kept in a closed plastic bag, the rubber doesn't look dried out to me, but rather brand new. But I'm wondering if some chemical reaction could happen, in an airtight enclosure, that would affect the rubber negatively. Anyway, I'm impressed with how this was handled by Schwalbe.
Thanks for the great idea, Bruce!
Old 09-26-18, 05:22 PM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'm more into NewOldStock finds than anything as young as 5yrs... but am finding if old unused tyres have been stored stacked like a pile of pancakes, yeah they crack at the crease once put into service.

Wire beads not foldables, tried hanging but the hook/peg leaves a kink after a while too.
These days I'm storing tyres lying flat with an inner tube inside them inflated enough to keep tyres shape.
Hopefully these won't crack come time it's ready to mount on completed restoration.
Old 09-27-18, 07:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,602 Times in 2,356 Posts
you don't get what you don't ask for. well done
Old 09-27-18, 08:04 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 599 Posts
Originally Posted by wesgreen
Schwalbe got back to me within three business days. Their warranty rep wrote:
" I’m wondering if the duration of storage had dried the tire a bit causing this split. In any case, it’s not normal or something we see often."
He sent me a coupon for a free tire, with free shipping.
I store my spare tubes and tires in closed plastic bags to slow the drying - out process (in an apt., so no climate extremes). It's worked for me until now. Having been kept in a closed plastic bag, the rubber doesn't look dried out to me, but rather brand new. But I'm wondering if some chemical reaction could happen, in an airtight enclosure, that would affect the rubber negatively. Anyway, I'm impressed with how this was handled by Schwalbe.
Thanks for the great idea, Bruce!
I'm so glad you took Bruce's advice. And I'm also glad Schwalbe took care of the problem.