Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

diet help and stop pooping on rides

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 12:45 AM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am training again for 100 mile mt bike race - lutsen 99er
last year about 3hours in i had to do few emergency poop breaks into the bush. not a good thing to do
i am still struggling with diet almost
i eat healthy, but seems too much fiber or something

as everything just goes through me.

when doing on the bike fueling, i do consume gels, which are still reacting to myself and having the need to do the number "2"s

these are some of things i been eating, oatmeal, toast,dried fruit, gels,
for energy drink - Nuun or Hammer nutrition. sometimes gatorade.

what strategies do some of you do and what can you suggest on this.

would eating more slowly help?
Old 05-18-16, 07:17 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a common problem. Some runners resort to pre-race Imodium.

Best thing I've found is a really strong cup of coffee about an hour before I need to leave. Empty out ahead of time.

Second best thing is avoiding sugar on my ride. I try to fuel with real food as much as possible.

Even then, I've found myself in a woods or making a mad dash to a restroom if I'm lucky enough to have a convenience store nearby. My IBS really doesn't help that, though.
Old 05-18-16, 07:57 AM
GravelMN

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are several things that can contribute to a problem like yours:

- exercise induced peristalsis (increased contractions of the GI tract as your gut tries to empty itself during times of physical stress). Once the gut is empty, the blood is shunted toward the heart, lungs and working muscles.
- excessive fluid intake, especially if you are gulping large amounts at infrequent intervals. Sip frequently, never guzzle.
- excessively concentrated electrolyte/sugar solutions. These can temporarily pull fluid into the gut to dilute the high concentrations. Most sports drinks or electrolyte mixes can be diluted 50:50 with water and remain effective.
- irritable GI tract, stress induced irritable bowel.
- high volume/high bulk diet at inappropriate times. Try to stick to nutrient dense but low residue foods for the meal before and nutrition during the ride. Don't go crazy the other way either, you don't want constipation just a lower load on your gut.

The sports nutrition industry has us so afraid of "bonking" that many people go overboard thinking they have to load up on carbs and electrolytes. Yes, you need fuel and appropriate electrolyte concentrations and balance, but more is not better. I'm also an advocate of real food rather than sports gels, candies, blocks and drinks/drink additives.

My recommendations (try these on a training ride, never make big changes on the day of a major event):

- Stick to real food like granola bars or oatmeal raisin cookies which will supply both carbs and electrolytes with only moderate amounts of fiber.
- Refuel with small snacks of 100-200 kCal not mini-meals of 500+ kCal.
- If you think you need additional electrolytes, dilute your sports/electrolyte drink by half and sip small amounts frequently.
- Make your pre-ride meal small and nutritionally dense with limited amounts of fiber. Avoid dairy, except for yogurt, pre-ride.
- Avoid concentrated sports gels, candies and the like.
- Don't overdo fresh fruit like oranges, apples, etc. and don't drink more than a few ounces of fruit juice.
- Limit the volume you are consuming to what you actually need.
- Learn the difference between muscle fatigue, dehydration and actual hypoglycemia (bonking). Too many people instantly assume that any decrease in performance or feeling bad is the result of low blood sugar when this is often not the case.

Last edited by GravelMN; 05-18-16 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-18-16, 08:52 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,111 Times in 1,492 Posts
No oatmeal, no fruit. Try Hammer's Perpetuem for your on-bike fueling. One bottle Perpetuem, one bottle plain water. You couldn't do better than having 300 cal. of Perpetuem for breakfast, too. Get rid of the stuff that's bothering you, including most of the fiber. No fiber, no poop. Eat fiber the day after. Never had that problem once I started fueling this way.
Old 05-18-16, 12:11 PM
CanadianBiker32

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hi i was using Hammer's Perpetuem but it was causing me problems , such as emergency bath room breaks as well
Old 05-23-16, 09:06 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,111 Times in 1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
hi i was using Hammer's Perpetuem but it was causing me problems , such as emergency bath room breaks as well
That's probably the soy. I can't handle it either, though most people have no problem. I mix up my own stuff, 6:1 maltodextrin:flavored whey protein. Same idea, different protein. Has worked like a charm for me for 15 years. I buy the malto from a homebrew supplier by the 50# bag and use Optimum Nutrition whey protein by the 10# bag.
Old 05-23-16, 09:09 AM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
everything you list is fiber and sugar . . . eat some food dude. fat and protein, peanut butter for example. make sure you eat normally the day before (whenever I load up it gives me issues the next day). try fewer stimulants, and in place of goo or synthetic gels, I like to just swig some light agave nectar.
Old 05-23-16, 06:20 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Liked 89 Times in 68 Posts
Depends on age too. Early morning coffee will usually do the trick. But then there's the residual that wants to be eliminated later.
Old 05-23-16, 06:27 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
A friend of mine is working on Ironman events. That's an issue on the running, too, not just the biking. Solution for her is limit what she eats the evening of and the morning of the race. Very light food then, and specifically for those kinds of reasons. So that is known problem, and people have worked out their different solutions for it.

For me, it helps if I've been up a couple of hours before riding, more chance of getting rid of stuff before I take off. May help to drink more in that time, too, coffee or not. But still no guarantees, fortunately, I'm not racing, and can usually make it to a bathroom if needed. (I do carry TP on the bike, tho!)
Old 05-24-16, 06:19 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You know what does it to me...Whey protein.

Since the age of 17 through probably my late 20's I lifted periodically and always consumed whey protein. So I spent at least 10+ years thinking I had IBS. Road trips were especially bad because I never had time to eat so I'd always down protein shakes because I thought that was a good idea. Turns out when I eat whey protein, any time between 5 hours and up to a day later, I will feel an explosive rumble near my sphincter with an immediate need to empty that rumble.

So anyway, maybe take it back to the basics to do some investigating.

Start with the ABSOLUTE basics...like seriously start with just gluten-free, non-processed foods only, I would have to guess oatmeal or gluten free oatmeal bread and natural jam. You'll probably be a bit hungry your first day or two, but as you start adding things in day by day, you might just find out what's bothering your stomach. Of course it could just be your stomach, but it could be something you're totally unaware of.
Old 06-05-16, 06:43 PM
CanadianBiker32

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
as someone mentioned take some Imodium
before a race.
would this cause cramps though?

Also should i avoid coffee , as it does help to clean out the colon i noticed, lol, but would not drinking any prevent from emergency poop breaks on a race? suggestions please on these 2?