Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is this due to bad rim tape on my old tube?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-22, 07:51 AM
Ev0lutionz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

My 2 year old tube just had a puncture suddenly. I swapped out to a newer tube and ran it almost 500km with no issues.. do I need a change of rim tape or?

Old 05-24-22, 07:55 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Sure looks like it to me, based on that pic. What's your rim tape? Post a pic of the same area on your rim?
Old 05-24-22, 07:55 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 821 Posts
I think seeing the rim tape would tell more. From the picture posted, cannot tell for sure, but it could be. If in doubt, change the tape.
Old 05-24-22, 07:59 AM
Ev0lutionz

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Sure looks like it to me, based on that pic. What's your rim tape? Post a pic of the same area on your rim?
I doubt I’ll be taking my wheel out today, but I do remember was that my rim tape easily moves about.. is it because it went through rain and stuff ?

my new inner tube which I’ve replaced seems to be doing fine so far ! Already went through 500km
Old 05-24-22, 08:24 AM
FBOATSB

Originally Posted by Ev0lutionz
I doubt I’ll be taking my wheel out today, but I do remember was that my rim tape easily moves about.. is it because it went through rain and stuff ?

my new inner tube which I’ve replaced seems to be doing fine so far ! Already went through 500km
The bolded text is not good. You're relying on air pressure alone to hold it in place which is why that old school rubber rim tape as famous for squirming about, causing your tube to be pushed into spoke holes or abrading on sharp edges. An old man told once told me "Be your own judge". I'm sure the pros will chime in.
Old 05-24-22, 08:28 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 821 Posts

You answered your own question, tape should not be sliding around.
Old 05-24-22, 08:49 AM
Ev0lutionz

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
The bolded text is not good. You're relying on air pressure alone to hold it in place which is why that old school rubber rim tape as famous for squirming about, causing your tube to be pushed into spoke holes or abrading on sharp edges. An old man told once told me "Be your own judge". I'm sure the pros will chime in.
Another thing I do remember, I deflated my tyre and left it with minimal pressure for a couple of days before inflating it again, reckon that moved the rim tape about with low pressure ?
Old 05-24-22, 10:02 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4814 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,566 Posts

Do take that tire off and look before you ride it again. Postponing this means the odds are you'll see the issue again out on the road if it is rim strip related. (If you do need new rim tape, I strongly recommend the Velox cloth stuff in a width to just span the width of the spoke channel. The stuff isn't fancy but it simply works. (And can be pulled up and re-stuck repeatedly. You can replace a nipple out on the road 5-10 years from now, get home and ride that rim tape the next few years - no problem. I've re-rimmed wheels and re-used the tape.

If you cannot find the right width, you can buy a roll of wider and slice it with a very sharp knife. (I love old, classic kitchen knives and the new diamond whetstones. I believe every home should have at least one. But I was brought up on boy scouts, knives as tools ... I've had to leave pocket knives with courthouse security more than once because that knife was of course, in my pocket with my keys.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-24-22, 10:04 AM
FBOATSB

Another thing I do remember, I deflated my tyre and left it with minimal pressure for a couple of days before inflating it again, reckon that moved the rim tape about with low pressure ?
Yes. I would glue down what you have or better yet, replace with self adhesive tape of the proper width and thickness to support your tubes in luxurious comfort so they'll just get flatted from the road side. What kind of tape to use is just like a chain lube thread.
Old 05-24-22, 10:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6228 Post(s)
Liked 4,835 Times in 3,334 Posts
Did your tube puncture on the rim side, the road side or the sidewall side?

Regardless, if your rim tape is loose, it should be replaced. Don't just copy what you see though, it might have been wrong in the first place.

Are the two little dimples by your thumb what you are asking about in the pic? Yes those might be from the tube going down into a spoke hole. The two so close together makes me wonder whats up with that. Maybe your tube shifts position. Do you ride it sometimes with too low a air pressure?

Is that the puncture on the lower left side of the upper dimple?

Last edited by Iride01; 05-24-22 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-24-22, 10:20 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 1,052 Posts
I have been using this tape for some time now and it is working really well. It also comes in 20mm widths. It has also been proven for use on Mountain Bike rims that have been in mud. I run at least two layers over the nipples and on a Mountain Bike maybe four. It also removes easy for replacement and does not leave a mess like plastic black tape. I have found over the years that Rim Tape and Rim Strips do not last as long as my tubes.

You can inspect your Rim Tape or Strips by deflating your tire then squeezing laterally not only to ensure the tube is placed right but to also inspect the condition of the Tape/Strip. Of course you know this...