Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's say I dropped over dead tomorrow ...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's say I dropped over dead tomorrow ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-22, 09:28 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by Bk Biker
You'll be dead, do you really care?
Yes indeed...my wife will hunt me down and really hurt me if I leave her this pile. Dead or alive.
Likes For clubman:
Old 12-22-22, 09:36 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
When the snowplow kills me today in our "blizzard", I know 1 person who may schlep over 6 hours to haul the crap out of the basement. Realistically, most bike people have their sweet spot. Most bike people do not take over collections. So expecting to find the unicorn to do as such for any collection is a desperate delusion.

Your crap is going into the bin, get over it.
This is my attitude toward all of my "stuff". Bikes, musical instruments, tube amps etc.

It also makes it easier for me to to enjoy these things while alive and able.
Old 12-22-22, 09:37 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
If you know Jesus, it wouldn't matter. I had a dream that I was in Heaven and Jesus gave me even better bikes then I had here.
I was riding one hot summer day in a downpour. I had the road to myself. Then on a slight descent there was an extremely attractive Asian woman jogging toward me. She was wearing a white t-shirt and no bra and she was soaked from the rain. Repeating that moment for eternity would be my heaven.
Old 12-22-22, 09:47 AM
gravelinmygears 

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 69 Posts
That's what C&V is for!

I'll just leave my log-in for this forum and tell my wife to give it all away. You guys do the rest.
Likes For gravelinmygears:
Old 12-22-22, 09:48 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
I'm sitting at my daughter's desk in her home and to my left is my wife's former German Christmas Nutcracker collection displayed on our daughter's childhood Yamaha.

Made in Germany Nutcrackers

This is a great example of making certain the right person receives what you consider precious.

Is there a means by which a PM can be triggered at death bequeathing my bikes to various C&V members? I'll ask Elon Musk if he can build this into his Neuralink divice.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 12-22-22, 09:53 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,967 Posts
Bikes would continue to live in the garage, because my sons would likely not be that motivated to sell the house or the bikes. They probably won’t ride or restore them.

Thats a good thing, in case tone was unclear...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 12-22-22, 09:54 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Ironically this type of question is on every forum for which I have participated. I am curious from which this question is being asked. Perhaps we have put ourselves into acquiring stuff we love, but perhaps not something our families have an interest. Or maybe we have become obsessed and are now questioning if it even matters in the total scope of a human life.
Old 12-22-22, 10:14 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
my stuff will probably be put out to the curb, so keep an eye on the central CT obits.
Old 12-22-22, 10:45 AM
GullyFoylesbike
*____*

Bikes: 1984 Gitane Grantour, 197X Serotta Club Special, 1983 Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 31 Posts
I encountered a situation like this very recently! I picked up a new-in-box tricolor RD & a new-in-box XTR rapid rise RD this year for crazy good prices from the local FB group. Talking to the woman about how she was sort of giving these away she tells me that her husband had passed a little over a year prior, and she has just started to get comfortable taking apart / moving his bike workshop out of their garage. She'd left it untouched for that long because it was just such a big memento of him. Her goal wasn't to make money off them, but just to get it all sold to people who would care for it like he did.

So now I have these emotionally charged rear derailleurs, waiting in their boxes for the right bike to come along for them.
Likes For GullyFoylesbike:
Old 12-22-22, 11:01 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
After reading this I just told my wife that if I drop dead she should call Gugie. He'll know what to do and who to contact.
Old 12-22-22, 11:05 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,126 Times in 555 Posts
This thread gives me an idea: It might be a good idea to write out a detailed “just-in-case” ad for each bike with reasonable asking price and details any prospective buyer would want to know. Save it in a shared drive and/or put printouts in a file, and tell your partner about the file. Taking away the element of not knowing and the burden of researching all the minute details we have about our bikes would probably go a long way toward making sure they don’t all get hauled away to Goodwill. Although, once the ads are written, I might be tempted to (Lord have mercy) sell a keeper.

My wife’s plan is to give my twin brother all my bike stuff. He does triathlons and has some bike knowledge. But even he doesn’t know much about vintage bikes and I know he wouldn’t want the hassle of liquidating what he doesn’t want.
Old 12-22-22, 11:10 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
This thread gives me an idea: It might be a good idea to write out a detailed “just-in-case” ad for each bike with reasonable asking price and details any prospective buyer would want to know. Save it in a shared drive and/or put printouts in a file, and tell your partner about the file. Taking away the element of not knowing and the burden of researching all the minute details we have about our bikes would probably go a long way toward making sure they don’t all get hauled away to Goodwill. Although, once the ads are written, I might be tempted to (Lord have mercy) sell a keeper.

My wife’s plan is to give my twin brother all my bike stuff. He does triathlons and has some bike knowledge. But even he doesn’t know much about vintage bikes and I know he wouldn’t want the hassle of liquidating what he doesn’t want.
Hmmm. On second thought perhaps I should tell my wife to call the very conscientious (and local) gaucho777.
Likes For davester:
Old 12-22-22, 11:11 AM
VtwinVince

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
Careful what you wish for, I hear there's a lot of that SADS (sudden adult death syndrome) going around these days......
Old 12-22-22, 11:33 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
This thread gives me an idea: It might be a good idea to write out a detailed “just-in-case” ad for each bike with reasonable asking price and details any prospective buyer would want to know.
You're kidding, right?

You actually think that the actual selling, packing, shipping would get done? If yes, imagine this. Your partner does the same for you for their collection life-sized animatronic dolls from early 20th century France. These collectables require disassembly and special packing needs. Or even better, their collection of grandfather clocks with bins and bins of parts.

Are you seriously going to deal with that **** one at a time? Are you going to put 20 ads in ebay/FB/CL/whatever? Or are you going to beg someone to get that crap from your basement?
Old 12-22-22, 11:42 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
I ride the same size, and I live in the same state. Crisis averted.
Old 12-22-22, 11:52 AM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
When the snowplow kills me today in our "blizzard", I know 1 person who may schlep over 6 hours to haul the crap out of the basement. Realistically, most bike people have their sweet spot. Most bike people do not take over collections. So expecting to find the unicorn to do as such for any collection is a desperate delusion.

I think that you made a very important and on subject point….Most-or all- of the items in a collector’s collection are in the possession of the person who values them the most. Subtract the collector from the equation when their body assumes room temperature and the the value of items in the collection from the point of perceived value to dumpster is a straight line of shorter length than the living collector could ever imagine.
Old 12-22-22, 12:00 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by iab

Dunno, as a happily married man who loves his wife and kids, I don’t want to burden them with this decision. They know how much this thing means to me, and are happy to know there’s a plan. My unicorn publicist knows what to do if and when…
Old 12-22-22, 12:12 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,126 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
You're kidding, right?

You actually think that the actual selling, packing, shipping would get done? If yes, imagine this. Your partner does the same for you for their collection life-sized animatronic dolls from early 20th century France. These collectables require disassembly and special packing needs. Or even better, their collection of grandfather clocks with bins and bins of parts.

Are you seriously going to deal with that **** one at a time? Are you going to put 20 ads in ebay/FB/CL/whatever? Or are you going to beg someone to get that crap from your basement?
You may know my wife better than I do!

Seriously though, I think it might still be beneficial. At least they will know what the bikes are. I would not expect my wife (or my brother, if it came to that) to disassemble or ship anything. Those pre-written ads could be bundled and used to sell the whole lot. Or they could be used a couple at a time to sell locally on CL or FB marketplace--or it could possibly(?) even be used for tax write-off purposes. Honestly, I've had a pretty hassle-free experience selling on CL. At least it'll give her some options: 1) just dump it/give them away, or 2) copy & paste this ad and wait for reasonable offers. For most of my bikes, I'd guess that in the $700-$1200 range per bike. Enough $ that it might be worth the trouble. I've sold about 20 bikes on CL over the years, and I almost always sell to the first person who shows up at or near my asking price, because I make sure the bikes are in great shape and priced reasonably. All of my bikes are essentially complete and ready to ride. I'm also talking about maybe ten bikes, not 20+ bikes like some hoarders serious collectors.

Last edited by gaucho777; 12-22-22 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-22-22, 12:30 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,834 Times in 830 Posts
I've told Dear Wife that should I encounter a situation where I become unexpectedly living-impaired, she & my son can keep what they want (probably not much other than their bikes) and the rest can go to the Rusty Spoke co-op. Now the Spoke is familiar with how I set up my bikes in a way that pleases me and not necessarily any other sane human being (so much chrome and retroreflective sheeting!), and so I suspect they wish me many more years of health and happiness. Although they will probably want most of my carefully-accumulated spare parts (can't have 'em all yet, though).
Old 12-22-22, 12:31 PM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 76 Masi, 77 Colin Laing, 78 Ritchey, 80 Jack Taylor, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 92? Andy Gilmour, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 133 Posts
I figure the best thing I can do is document the bikes, all details, all images needed to sell each one. Selling via C&V, CR, Ebay, CL, close, like-minded friends. Keep those details and selling instructions in an easy to find location. Sure I have some friends that will probably help her or the kids out, but that is a moving target since I may, maybe, outlive some of the close, like-minded friends! I am constantly revising, this and that. The goal is to not be a pain in ass as a legacy for my wife and family. Minimal cursing me after death...

Guy Apple
Redwood City CA
Old 12-22-22, 01:42 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
Originally Posted by GullyFoylesbike
emotionally charged rear derailleurs
That's my next band name, right there.
Old 12-22-22, 02:09 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,485 Times in 3,209 Posts
My wife’s plan is to give my twin brother all my bike stuff.
Cloning! The perfect solution to all this!
Old 12-22-22, 02:31 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
It’s a good time to consider the position you’re putting your family in. They know you love your bikes and probably know they have value but no idea how to go about selling them or deciding who to give them to.

you could spare them a lot of grief by providing some instruction on what to do. If the money is important, then maybe talk to a local shop about consignment. At minimum, you should document each bicycle in detail; maybe even create listings, they could use to sell them.

If you just want them to go to someone that appreciates them, I suspect you could find people here that would be happy to take them.

children sometimes have a lot of guilt throwing away or donating things that they know their parent cherished. You can help them a lot by providing some help now.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 12-22-22, 02:31 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelinmygears
I'll just leave my log-in for this forum and tell my wife to give it all away. You guys do the rest.
Maybe the forum should have a program, set up on a dead-man (literally) switch. If a member does not post for 45 days, it sends a message to the member's e-mail address: "Dear Mrs. Colnago53, your husband dropped off the forum and is presumed dead -- please contact us about disposition of his bike collection"

Old 12-22-22, 02:47 PM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
I’m relatively young, 45, and have kept detailed records of bikes, values, etc. They currently number 62 and I have no idea in a practical sense what would be done with them. Everyone in the family rides, but no one cares about old bikes other than me. They know I like them.

In the past year I’ve dealt with disposing of my mother’s possessions and now my grandfather’s. He has numerous large format cameras from the 50s/60s. It’s cool stuff. I have a journalism degree and learned photography in a dark room. Still, I don’t want his stuff (including his boyhood stamp collection too) and would love nothing more than to find someone passionate about such things. In short, the market does that, and listing everything for sale might place it all, but that’s a lot of work.

Back to bikes, I should really spell out what happens, understanding that no one in my family can write a for-sale listing, let alone pack a bike to ship. It’s tough to be honest about this stuff, but it’s a real service to those you leave behind.

On the flip side, there’s a business model here, disposing of collections, but my best estimate is one can’t pay more than about $0.25 on the dollar to cover transportation, storage, cleaning, cataloging, etc. And that’s not an attractive number for a seller. Best to place bikes with those who will appreciate them, if possible.

Last edited by alexihnen; 12-23-22 at 09:56 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.