Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for alternatives to baby/body wipes?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-23, 01:07 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts

I use wipes to clean up a bit (wipe off sweat, reduce body odor) after my commute to the office. I'm looking for suggestions for alternatives, however, because I feel a bit guilty generating waste every day. Admittedly it's only a few (5-6 wipes/commute now, maybe will be more in the warmer months), but it is a bit bothersome to me. If there is a practical alternative I'd like to know about it. Any suggestions?

Maybe carrying a damp towel (face towel size, or so) in a ziploc baggie (or 2)? This is possible, though in order to reduce the risk of leakage I'd have to: (a) carry it at the bottom of my pannier; and (b) be careful to squeeze out of the baggie(s) as much air as possible. And I'm not sure that going through a few plastic baggies every couple of months or so is any better than 5-6 wipes a day.

I don't have access to a shower or a private bathroom. I could risk being caught in flagrante delicto, and use the bathroom. Not a big concern to me, but people are so weird now about nudity that I'm concerned that someone might be "threatened" and complain. Heck, even locker rooms have individual shower stalls now, and you rarely see guys wandering around a locker room naked, like you did 25 - 50 years ago. At least, that's what it's like around here.
Old 04-07-23, 09:32 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I don't have access to a shower or a private bathroom. I could risk being caught in flagrante delicto, and use the bathroom. Not a big concern to me, but people are so weird now about nudity that I'm concerned that someone might be "threatened" and complain. Heck, even locker rooms have individual shower stalls now, and you rarely see guys wandering around a locker room naked, like you did 25 - 50 years ago. At least, that's what it's like around here.
Wait, you don't have access to a bathroom stall?? I used to just use a washcloth; rinse and dry, and take it home at the end of the week to wash it. A microfiber cloth would work, and dry quickly. As for carrying, you could use something like a plastic peanut butter jar; light and sturdy. HTH
Old 04-08-23, 05:48 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 88 Posts
How about starting out with dry facecloths on the way to work. Putting water to them when needed. Then using a plastic bag to get them home re-using the same bag daily. No leaking issues on the way to work. And if putting at the bottom of the panniers then no real concern on the way home either.