Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

i just want to complain for a minute

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 08:53 PM
bigboyd937

Bikes: I've had a few road bikes, but now i ride a Diamondback Podium 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today, my friend Michael and i biked over to his daughters daycare and picked her up in his bike carrier. Everything was going fine, we were enjoying this nice sunny day and even his daughter was. We got back into the neighborhoods where we normally bike around, we saw a car approaching from behind so we formed a single file line on the right side of the road near the curb. We ALWAYS do this..and never have any problems with cars passing. SO this car is coming up, and i extend my arm and wave to him saying to go ahead and pass, we know you're there kind of thing. This guy in his zippy little G8 comes within inches of Michael and his carrier, rolls his window down and says "this ain't gonna cut it boys" then accelerates and gets next to me, again within inches and says "you boys need to get off the road, you're in the way" while angrily pointing to the curb, then he gives me the finger and zooms away down the road. I don't think we did anything wrong at all..i was just dumbfounded that he got so close to someone with a baby carrier while we were riding. But anyways, tell me if we were riding wrong..or something, or do nothing. i just wanted to vent about how obnoxious i feel he was.
Old 05-09-11, 09:12 PM
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very much recommend reporting it. Let them know he obviously purposefully pulled close to you in what was a threatening manner (mentioning you felt a child was endangered couldn't hurt). As has been said a million times before, the cops may or may not do anything (depends a lot on your region), but your report could make a very big difference if this idiot does something more extreme down the road. If he pulls the same crap to someone else and ends up hurting them (on purpose or by "accident" due to his unsafe behavior), a report on file of previous bad behavior can go a very long way to building a case against them.
Old 05-09-11, 09:15 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Report it and make sure you mention the kid in the carrier, maybe the cops will care a little more.
Old 05-09-11, 09:18 PM
bigboyd937

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do you think its too late? it happened today at like 430, its now close to midnight. can it wait until tomorrow? OH and one of the things that shocked me most about it that i forgot to mention was that he was an adult, like at least in his 40s. i can understand kids driving around yelling at people, that happens all the time but it doesn't bother me. this just really got to me.
Old 05-09-11, 09:19 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked 1,253 Times in 629 Posts
Go to the police station and file a report.

Old 05-09-11, 09:50 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bhop
Report it and make sure you mention the kid in the carrier, maybe the cops will care a little more.
Also, That the motorist's behavior was menacing.
Old 05-09-11, 10:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 2,593 Posts
I'm not going to tell you what I would have done because I don't want to lose my reputation for being exceptionally easy-going. However, anyone that pulls up beside me with the window down gets told to leave or I'm calling the cops. Driver seriously needs to have a re-education.
Old 05-09-11, 10:22 PM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm not going to tell you what I would have done because I don't want to lose my reputation for being exceptionally easy-going. However, anyone that pulls up beside me with the window down gets told to leave or I'm calling the cops. Driver seriously needs to have a re-education.
I'll second that...
Old 05-09-11, 11:17 PM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, I do sense a little reckless endangerment there, especially given the fact that you were pulling a child as well. This guy is a jacka$$ and deserves to be served before he kills someone.

I can't believe people can be so senseless. But he feels that he pays taxes for his sports car and should not be subject to someone enjoying a nice day with his little girl on a bike ride.

Kudos for dad spending time with his daughter!

I would report him too.
Old 05-09-11, 11:22 PM
teaboy1748

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That guy got road rage issue!
Did you get the driver license plate number?
Invest in helmet cameras.
Old 05-10-11, 01:35 AM
kjmillig

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teaboy1748
+1 for both!
Old 05-10-11, 06:39 AM
bigboyd937

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teaboy1748
That guy got road rage issue!
i didn't get his license plate number :\ he was next to us and i couldn't see it, then he was ahead of us zooming away and i was too caught off guard to even think about trying to get his plates. i think today if i have a little time before golf i'm gonna go report it at the police station, even if they don't catch him maybe they'll at least be more watchful or something. thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 05-10-11, 06:58 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Yet another a$$hat behind the wheel... no surprise at all.
Old 05-10-11, 08:09 AM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep your eyes peeled for this joker...
Old 05-10-11, 08:58 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 838 Posts
Originally Posted by bigboyd937
Today, my friend Michael and i biked over to his daughters daycare and picked her up in his bike carrier. Everything was going fine, we were enjoying this nice sunny day and even his daughter was. We got back into the neighborhoods where we normally bike around, we saw a car approaching from behind so we formed a single file line on the right side of the road near the curb. We ALWAYS do this..and never have any problems with cars passing. SO this car is coming up, and i extend my arm and wave to him saying to go ahead and pass, we know you're there kind of thing. This guy in his zippy little G8 comes within inches of Michael and his carrier, rolls his window down and says "this ain't gonna cut it boys" then accelerates and gets next to me, again within inches and says "you boys need to get off the road, you're in the way" while angrily pointing to the curb, then he gives me the finger and zooms away down the road. I don't think we did anything wrong at all..i was just dumbfounded that he got so close to someone with a baby carrier while we were riding. But anyways, tell me if we were riding wrong..or something, or do nothing. i just wanted to vent about how obnoxious i feel he was.
I would have invited that person to step out of the car to discuss matters.
Old 05-10-11, 10:50 AM
adablduya

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I would have invited that person to step out of the car to discuss matters.
i couldn't say it any better.

i generally try to be non-confrontational, but not in situations like this. i would have done/said whatever it took for this d-bag to stop and exit his car. would be a bad ending to his day, for sure. actions like that are aggressive, in my opinion, and thus put me right into self-defense mode. all bets are off then.
Old 05-10-11, 10:57 AM
skye

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sudo bike
Very much recommend reporting it. Let them know he obviously purposefully pulled close to you in what was a threatening manner (mentioning you felt a child was endangered couldn't hurt).
In all likelihood, the cops will look up the buddy with the kid and flap child endangerment warnings in his face.

Don't ever confuse what goes on in a cop's mind with intelligence. It's mostly a mixture of hormones and flatulence.
Old 05-10-11, 11:19 AM
bigboyd937

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adablduya
i couldn't say it any better.

i generally try to be non-confrontational, but not in situations like this. i would have done/said whatever it took for this d-bag to stop and exit his car. would be a bad ending to his day, for sure. actions like that are aggressive, in my opinion, and thus put me right into self-defense mode. all bets are off then.
i would have loved to had done something like that..but i'm a pretty scrawny kid, and not much of a fighter at all. and i doubt Michael would have wanted to fight or even argue with the guy in front of his daughter. the dude was pretty "large" too, maybe he just looked more intimidating than he actually is. I replied to him with a loud "alright bro" in a sarcastic manner then gave him a big smile. Kill him with kindness as my mother says haha
Old 05-10-11, 11:49 AM
ScottStr

Bikes: Windsor Wellington 3.0

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If I managed to keep my adrenaline in check and get the plate number, I would call the police with it and email one of my police contacts: the sargeant over the bicycle-mounted patrol in the department. I know it would get attention here without that, but I also know he'd like to know about the incident.
Old 05-10-11, 11:56 AM
____asdfghjkl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if that was me in that situation and put my kid in any kind of danger (or anyone's kid) I would kick their a$$.

Don't know if reporting is going to do anything. Cops suck for the most part. I remember getting into an accident the cops said "I commute by bike too, I ride on the sidewalk instead of the street" :/
Old 05-10-11, 01:44 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sudo bike
Very much recommend reporting it. Let them know he obviously purposefully pulled close to you in what was a threatening manner (mentioning you felt a child was endangered couldn't hurt). As has been said a million times before, the cops may or may not do anything (depends a lot on your region), but your report could make a very big difference if this idiot does something more extreme down the road. If he pulls the same crap to someone else and ends up hurting them (on purpose or by "accident" due to his unsafe behavior), a report on file of previous bad behavior can go a very long way to building a case against them.
Yep, report it, if memory serves me correctly, that is part of why the charges were so severe against that "good doctor" out in LA. It was because he had a record of engaging in such behavior. It also didn't hurt that he said not just once, but twice that he was "trying to teach them a lesson."
Old 05-10-11, 01:52 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skye
In all likelihood, the cops will look up the buddy with the kid and flap child endangerment warnings in his face.

Don't ever confuse what goes on in a cop's mind with intelligence. It's mostly a mixture of hormones and flatulence.
So what, because a father or mother was riding a bike with their child in a bike seat is engaging in "child endangerment?" Than I guess that a mother or father who is likewise walking down the street with their child either in hand or in a stroller is likewise engaging in child endangerment?

The father in this incident was NOT engaging in any kind of child endangerment. The motorist was the one who was endangering the safety of not only the child but the two cyclists.
Old 05-10-11, 03:38 PM
chrisb71

Bikes: 09 Jamis Aurora, 4 Giant ATX 870, 64 Schwin Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if the cop sounds like he doesn't want to cooperate, just tell him to go scare the guy a little, he may be willing to do that especially considering there was a little kid involved. I would keep mentioning the kid and how he swerved over closer to you menacing you. also that you were in a single file line
Old 05-10-11, 04:19 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Are you competing for the arrogant ignorance award?
Old 05-10-11, 05:11 PM
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Color me skeptical.

Mindless stereotyping aside, cops usually still serve some semblance of usefulness, at least in many places. Filing a report usually isn't a big deal, and if there's two people both independently wanting to file a report on the same person, it's much more likely to get notice. They may not care, but they also don't want to be faced with trouble, be it from their superiors or elsewhere. If you are unfortunate enough to get a cop who refuses to file a report, you move up the ladder - but you may be surprised how often it's a non-issue.

Look at the reports that helped put the Doc away - obviously some cops must be filing reports from cyclists without issue. You're overreacting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.