Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

1UP racks

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-22, 06:59 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
Looks very nice but boy are all these racks pricey. $1,000 for two bikes. The e-bike ramps looks nice, too.
Seems like everyone is doing ramps now. The Kuat NV 2.0 has a ramp accessory available, as does 1UP. Definitely would help some folks in getting their 50-60# ebike up on the rack.

Originally Posted by Kapusta
The only thing that the Quikr has that would make a real difference to ME is the tool-less adjustment of the crossbars, and that they are fat compatible to start with. But these are two things that actually won’t make a difference for most people
I can see how the tool-less adjustment could be handy for some people, though I wonder how many people really ever move the crossbar after initial setup. I'm sure some do, of course, and tool-less adjustment would be more convenient than carrying a box-end wrench. Still, the capability would be wasted on me since I've never moved the crossbars on my rack & addon, and moved one crossbar one time setting up my wife's rack for her bike.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 03-09-22, 07:33 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
Seems like everyone is doing ramps now. The Kuat NV 2.0 has a ramp accessory available, as does 1UP. Definitely would help some folks in getting their 50-60# ebike up on the rack.

I can see how the tool-less adjustment could be handy for some people, though I wonder how many people really ever move the crossbar after initial setup. I'm sure some do, of course, and tool-less adjustment would be more convenient than carrying a box-end wrench. Still, the capability would be wasted on me since I've never moved the crossbars on my rack & addon, and moved one crossbar one time setting up my wife's rack for her bike.
I guess if someone rides different style bikes regularly and they have different geometry it could prove handy. I've got the Sherpa and while these other options appear really nice, I think the Sherpa will serve me since when I went to Costco recently, they had a Colgate coupon and I thought to myself, these 5 (or was it 6) tubes could last the rest of my life. As I jokingly added afterward, I think that I will outlive a few more rotisserie chickens!
Likes For kahn:
Old 03-09-22, 08:15 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
No wheel locks are needed unless you have short wheel base bikes.
I'm not understanding this comment.

The wheel locks are to lock up your bike to prevent theft.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-09-22, 08:24 AM
prj71

I guess if I wantes all that stuff then I might be more interested. But I have not needed (or wanted) any of those locks (I use hardened chain), and most people don’t need a fat bike spacer kit. And with 1 or 2 trays the lowering mech is not a problem (for me at least, though I can see it could be an issue for some).

The only thing that the Quikr has that would make a real difference to ME is the tool-less adjustment of the crossbars, and that they are fat compatible to start with. But these are two things that actually won’t make a difference for most people.

I would wait to see what the longer term reports are on these before dropping that much money. The design of these is far more mechanically complex than the 1UP… or any rack
I can think of.

I would also want to see that this company actually stays afloat for a few years. The launch of this rack was a long drawn out process that was painful to watch. And I am not so sure how much of a market there is for a rack that expensive.

I’ll be interested to see how these are doing in a few years
I get what you are saying. Not everyone needs what I need in a rack. In my household we have 2 road bikes, 2 fat bikes, 2 mountain bikes and 1 fitness bike. So I needed the fat bike spacer kit.

After I installed the fat bike spacer I tried it with the mountain bike and road bike and it works fine. Then I thought to myself..."Why didn't 1up just make it with this spacer as Standard"

The QuickR is also tool-less for the anti-wobble mechanism.

To be honest with 2 trays, that lowering mechanism is my biggest gripe. I find it hard to get it and it doesn't release easily. As a temporary solution I tied some rope to the bar and threaded it through the 2 empty holes on the front of the rack. I'm probably going to fabricate something myself out of aluminum. I also have my own more robust stainless steel locking hitch pin that I use with my trailer and a previous bike rack I owned. I was surprised that it wouldn't work with the 1up rack. They had to make the hitch pin hole smaller to accommodate the anti-wobble mechanism, which forced me to buy their hitch pin lock which is chintzy.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-09-22, 08:27 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Quikr is a new company... Looks a lot like a copy of the 1up rack? Maybe they improved on whatever they didn't like about the 1up.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 03-09-22, 08:38 AM
gpburdell

Originally Posted by kahn
I guess if someone rides different style bikes regularly and they have different geometry it could prove handy. I've got the Sherpa and while these other options appear really nice, I think the Sherpa will serve me since when I went to Costco recently, they had a Colgate coupon and I thought to myself, these 5 (or was it 6) tubes could last the rest of my life. As I jokingly added afterward, I think that I will outlive a few more rotisserie chickens!
Yep, particularly with the 2nd bike spot where you might alternate between carrying a spouse's bike and a kid's bike. In some instances I suspect one could find a middle-ground crossbar spot that worked for both, and in other instances perhaps not. Certainly something to consider even though moving a crossbar on the 1UP isn't exactly difficult.

The QuikR stuff is nice - just seems like they've engineered it into serving a variety of niche needs that may not apply to all buyers -- and you pay a pretty penny for that. I hope they do well, as innovation is a good thing.

Your mention of the Sherpa serving you well - good bike racks generally will last until the person's needs change to something the rack won't do. I had a Yakima hanger style rack that was great, but when I bought a carbon bike I decided to err on the side of caution and switched to the 1UP. Sold the rack on FB marketplace to someone who will likely get many more years of use out of it.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 03-09-22, 08:40 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I get what you are saying. Not everyone needs what I need in a rack. In my household we have 2 road bikes, 2 fat bikes, 2 mountain bikes and 1 fitness bike. So I needed the fat bike spacer kit.

After I installed the fat bike spacer I tried it with the mountain bike and road bike and it works fine. Then I thought to myself..."Why didn't 1up just make it with this spacer as Standard"

The QuickR is also tool-less for the anti-wobble mechanism.

To be honest with 2 trays, that lowering mechanism is my biggest gripe. I find it hard to get it and it doesn't release easily. As a temporary solution I tied some rope to the bar and threaded it through the 2 empty holes on the front of the rack. I'm probably going to fabricate something myself out of aluminum. I also have my own more robust stainless steel locking hitch pin that I use with my trailer and a previous bike rack I owned. I was surprised that it wouldn't work with the 1up rack. They had to make the hitch pin hole smaller to accommodate the anti-wobble mechanism, which forced me to buy their hitch pin lock which is chintzy.
Yeah, why they don’t just make the crossbars fat-compatible to start with is a puzzle to me.

I was not crazy about the way the fat tire crossbar held my road bike, so I rigged up something myself a few years ago. It turned out to be very similar to the design QuikrStuff uses. Seemed like a no-brainer to me, and 1Up should have done it this way from day 1.

Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-09-22, 08:41 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Quikr is a new company... Looks a lot like a copy of the 1up rack? Maybe they improved on whatever they didn't like about the 1up.
I think they did copy it, but improved it.

If QuickR lowered their price about $100 or so for a 2 rack system, I think they would give 1up a run for their money.

Not sure if the price diffrence is because of materials or certain design elements or if it's of where it's made...Wisconsin vs. Colorado.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-09-22, 08:48 AM
Reflector Guy

Not sure if the price diffrence is because of materials or certain design elements or if it's of where it's made...Wisconsin vs. Colorado.
The cynic in me suggests the workforce in Wisconsin is probably a lot more efficient, thanks to a lot less of a certain green herb in their lungs. My brother lives in Boulder, and based on the stories he tells about hiring workers (or trying to hire), I might not be too far off the mark.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 03-09-22, 08:50 AM
Reflector Guy

Yeah, why they don’t just make the crossbars fat-compatible to start with is a puzzle to me.
Were fatbikes even a "thing" when 1up designed their racks? It is probably tough to foresee what will become popular in five or ten years time.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 03-09-22, 08:53 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Were fatbikes even a "thing" when 1up designed their racks? It is probably tough to foresee what will become popular in five or ten years time.
Good point, I don't remember when 1UP started.

But Fat has been a thing for many years, now. They have had plenty of time to address this.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-09-22, 08:57 AM
gpburdell

I was not crazy about the way the fat tire crossbar held my road bike, so I rigged up something myself a few years ago. It turned out to be very similar to the design QuikrStuff uses. Seemed like a no-brainer to me, and 1Up should have done it this way from day 1.

Personally I'm happy with the narrower standard crossbar setup - I'd be concerned with slop with the wider crossbars. Guess that's another personal-preference matter.

BTW -- while you've already solved this for your needs, 1UP added an accessory that may help others -- Wheel Saver - clips onto the crossbar spool. Also works with the regular non-fatbike spools.

Likes For gpburdell:
Old 03-09-22, 10:15 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The cynic in me suggests the workforce in Wisconsin is probably a lot more efficient, thanks to a lot less of a certain green herb in their lungs.
Um, people in Wisconsin smoke weed, too. The price difference likely has more to do with Quikr being a start-up, with a much smaller production scale and capacity.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-09-22, 10:51 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Rolla
The price difference likely has more to do with Quikr being a start-up, with a much smaller production scale and capacity.
And the design being more complex.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-09-22, 10:59 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by gpburdell
Personally I'm happy with the narrower standard crossbar setup - I'd be concerned with slop with the wider crossbars. Guess that's another personal-preference matter.

BTW -- while you've already solved this for your needs, 1UP added an accessory that may help others -- Wheel Saver - clips onto the crossbar spool. Also works with the regular non-fatbike spools.

Or they could just change the design of the fat tire crossbar and you would not need that extra plastic thing.

BTW, the crossbar I set up (and what Quickrstuff uses) grabs a non-fat tire exactly the same way as the crossbar on the standard (non-fat) 1UP crossbar does. Why would there be more slop? . In fact, the one I set up is made from the standard 1UP crossbar.

Here is the Quikrstuff. Notice how (like mine) the center is more deeply notched to hold smaller tires. Fat tires don't need that as they are so soft they conform to the shape of the crosspiece. Their design is - unsurprisingly - a bit better than my hack.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-09-22 at 11:08 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-09-22, 11:16 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

This may already be common knowledge, but the lead designer for the Quickrstuff rack was one of the designers for the original 1UP. He and the rest of the company apparently split on bad terms. From what I have seen since, I am guessing he was the design genius, but not much of a business guy. He floundered around trying to launch this Mach2 for a long time and then disappeared. I assume Quickrstuff formed when he teamed up with some folks with business and/or production expertise.

I wish this company well. I just hope they can make the business work. Like prj71 points out, it really does address every possible shortcoming of the 1UP, and (assuming it holds up over time) is hands down the best rack on the market.... by a long shot, IMO.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-09-22, 11:35 AM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I wish this company well. I just hope they can make the business work.
Same. It's a good illustration of the challenges of entrepreneurship, but good on 'em for building a better mousetrap.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-09-22, 01:22 PM
prj71

I like this idea. I may copy it for the road bikes.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-09-22, 01:24 PM
prj71

The cynic in me suggests the workforce in Wisconsin is probably a lot more efficient, thanks to a lot less of a certain green herb in their lungs. My brother lives in Boulder, and based on the stories he tells about hiring workers (or trying to hire), I might not be too far off the mark.
As a Wisconsin resident my first thought is maybe 1up pays lower wages than QuickR.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-09-22, 02:16 PM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
I have used Rocky Mount, Thule, and 1Up. I had issues with RM and Thule over time. 1Up has been an absolute dream to own. Looks good and works perfectly.
Likes For dmanders:
Old 03-09-22, 02:23 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
1 UP is a simple high quality rack that shouldn't disappoint
Old 03-09-22, 02:26 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I'm not understanding this comment.

The wheel locks are to lock up your bike to prevent theft.
Sorry, my bad, I got this confused with the wheel stabilizer.
Old 03-09-22, 02:28 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
As a Wisconsin resident my first thought is maybe 1up pays lower wages than QuickR.
I think 1 Up was started or designed by the guy(s) now running QR .................. you might search the GCD threads for 1 Up or QR posts
Old 03-09-22, 02:31 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
this thread has been awesome, I learned a ton about racks and all the little things they have. I am grateful for the knowledge base on here.

I am going 1up....I doubt I will regret it.

thanks all!
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 03-09-22, 02:36 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
The other weird thing about One-up is that the two engineers behind it split and started two rival companies. (This happened about the time I was looking.) How did that get resolved?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.