Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Death of The Derailleur? Honda’s Incredible Bicycle Gearboxes (All 3 Generations)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Death of The Derailleur? Honda’s Incredible Bicycle Gearboxes (All 3 Generations)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-23, 02:58 PM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

Old 02-19-23, 05:23 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Thankfully, no.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 02-19-23, 06:43 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
They're not for me, but than ebikes aren't either and just look at the interest in them.
Old 02-19-23, 08:05 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
They're not for me, but than ebikes aren't either and just look at the interest in them.
Seems like ebike plus this transmission would be the best use of it. No way I’d want it on a glycogen fueled vehicle.
Old 02-19-23, 08:32 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8284 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Pinion has a 12 speed gearbox which I've seen tests of. It adds quite a bit of weight to the bike but it's supposed to be good for bashing around the back country. Probably not going to catch on.
Old 02-20-23, 09:54 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by elcyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUB-_-BM7gg
With all of the internal gearing systems invented over the past 130 years or so, there has never been one that is as efficient as chain drive (and thus derailleur shifting). As long as humans are providing the power, other shifting systems will have to demonstrate efficiency very close to chain drive in order to be competitive in the market.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 02-22-23, 07:49 PM
kommisar

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
I heard that shimano's next electronic grupo does away with the chain and derailleurs completely. They just have a magnetic resistance on the bottom bracket and then a simulation drives the rear hub motor according to the virtual bottom bracket torque and rpm. The really neat feature is that multiple drive inputs can be enabled so that a fraction of a team's domestique output can additionally increase the power of the team leader's motor. Apparently there will be a new top end grupo "Virtuna" that will sit above dura ace in the product stack.

Last edited by kommisar; 02-22-23 at 07:57 PM.
Likes For kommisar:
Old 02-28-23, 07:51 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Nope, derailleurs and chains will always be because they simply work. I derailleur from the 60's is as usable today as it ever was. Hey, I like freewheels and threaded hubs for my bikes, be it 1 or 7 cogs. There's a better selection of 6 and 7 speed FW's than 7 speed cassettes. Ain't that the kicker ? While I get the intention of the cassette version, it's "solution" was to a "problem" that the industry created themselves. That's the big lie, they tell a narrative of flaw/trouble in order to sell some suckers what they're selling as "new and improved". They create a problem and then sell you on the solution to the their problem. Con art 101.
Meanwhile threaded hubs and freewheels still work as good as ever. Cassettes and (overpriced) freehubs, if you can get one you actually want and not one you don't, would also endure.

Those gear box thingies will come and go faster than I can say BOO ! Meanwhile Dinosaurs like me and other will be riding our antique chain driven beauties forever and a day.
Likes For Garthr:
Old 02-28-23, 08:50 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
Nope, derailleurs and chains will always be because they simply work. I derailleur from the 60's is as usable today as it ever was. Hey, I like freewheels and threaded hubs for my bikes, be it 1 or 7 cogs. There's a better selection of 6 and 7 speed FW's than 7 speed cassettes. Ain't that the kicker ? While I get the intention of the cassette version, it's "solution" was to a "problem" that the industry created themselves. That's the big lie, they tell a narrative of flaw/trouble in order to sell some suckers what they're selling as "new and improved". They create a problem and then sell you on the solution to the their problem. Con art 101.
Meanwhile threaded hubs and freewheels still work as good as ever. Cassettes and (overpriced) freehubs, if you can get one you actually want and not one you don't, would also endure.

Those gear box thingies will come and go faster than I can say BOO ! Meanwhile Dinosaurs like me and other will be riding our antique chain driven beauties forever and a day.

Conspiracy theory hey.
Old 03-01-23, 09:13 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Yeah right.
Where can I buy it?
The Unobtanium Store?

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-01-23 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-02-23, 05:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Clickbait headline on a dead letter. Great gearing system if all you do is go downhill. The cost alone is reason enough it won't get anywhere unless it actually gets better than derailleur hanging.

Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-02-23, 08:40 AM
Lkrav3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Had no idea...
Old 03-03-23, 11:12 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Want to get rid of a front derailleur? Without downsides of 1X?
Here is a real product. New overhaul to rear hub gear performance for the racing set.
Shimano (and many others) upgrading rear hub capabilities. Look at this area for further innovation and hardware in the near future. Rear hub motors get attention, too

Hub gears in the WorldTour: Campenaerts to race on Classified Powershift hub | Cyclist
Go Victor!

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-03-23 at 11:22 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 03-03-23, 11:23 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,519 Times in 2,861 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Here is a real product. New overhaul to rear hub gear performance for the racing set.
Shimano (and many others) upgrading rear hub capabilities. Look at this area for further innovation and hardware in the near future. Rear hub motors get attention, too

Hub gears in the WorldTour: Campenaerts to race on Classified Powershift hub | Cyclist
Go Victor!
Finally! Something new in drivetrains!
Thanks for the link!
Old 03-03-23, 11:31 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bleeding edge technology, bleeds my bicycle budget to death. Life preferable.
Butt,...someone please start buying so the future trickle down comes sooner!

Call me retrogrouch, I stopped at Di2.

edit: Makes me wonder if the newly announced Shimano consolidation of low end groups - Cues - might be compatible with rear hubbed multi-gear products. Wow, that would be a leap forward in gearing options.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-03-23 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-03-23, 11:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Go Victor!

Now that looks interesting!

Is there much efficiency loss with the planetary gears?
Old 03-03-23, 11:54 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Now that looks interesting!

Is there much efficiency loss with the planetary gears?
I know nothing of planetary gear efficiency, but a world hour record holding cyclist would not be riding it if any efficiency loss wasn't overcome by other factors. A 62tooth chainring was mentioned for some of the Classics races.

I think it was stated he has been testing the system for a year. Probably some mods over a year of development. Especially with 3D printing.
Old 03-03-23, 12:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

a world hour record holding cyclist would not be riding it if any efficiency loss wasn't overcome by other factors..
I usually don't like to draw lessons from pros, but that's a good point. That may be the event that punishes inefficiency most thoroughly.

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around what riding this setup would feel like.
Old 03-03-23, 12:20 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I am having a hard time wrapping my head around what riding this setup would feel like.
Performance innovations of bikes (not e-bikes) have almost always been tested under the saddles of pro riders. (Maybe ebikes, too? )

As to how it would feel, there are BF posters - call them ultimate gear heads - who have 'cobbled' multispeed rear hubs with rear derailleurs. Overlapping gear combos is guaranteed, but low gear inches was the goal, if my memory serves - never a good bet. The new system, at the pro level, may be more about higher gear inches with a huge chainring. Victor is a multiple hour record holder.

edit: I ride like a pro - in my wildest of dreams!

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-03-23 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-03-23, 12:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Performance innovations of bikes (not e-bikes) have almost always been tested under the saddles of pro riders.

As to how it would feel, there are BF posters - call them ultimate gear heads who have 'cobbled' multispeed rear hubs with rear derailleurs. Overlapping gear combos is guaranteed, but low gear inches was the goal, if my memory serves - never a good bet. The new system, at the pro lever, may be more about higher gear inches with a huge chainring.

I like to ride big gear inches, so this interests me.

My aversion to drawing lessons from pros stems from the fact that I am not remotely built like a pro, and I'm 30-40 years older than them. So when people say "this is what pros use", it's usually not likely to translate to me.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-03-23, 12:33 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Don't worry. Only one pro is using it - so far. No guaranteed new lessons to be learned yet.
At least it is an innovation that passed UCI regs! Who wants to bet they quash it for use in the future - unless, or until Shimano introduces a similar product?
Who really runs the equipment regs?
Old 03-03-23, 12:33 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by elcyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUB-_-BM7gg
I wouldnt bet money on that.
Old 03-03-23, 12:44 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
this is interesting. Thank you to the OP. I learnt something today.
Old 03-03-23, 01:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rydabent
I wouldnt bet money on that.

Why would you? Honda didn't.
Old 03-03-23, 09:13 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts

Go Victor!
So, what's the difference between this and using something like a Patterson, Schlumpf, or Efneo at the front? Nothing 'new' about those ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.