Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

A question on spoke tension

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-23, 11:59 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts

A friend recently obtained this bike and rebuilt a taco-ed rear wheel but wants me to true it. What spoke tension should I be looking at, drive and non drive side according to my Park Tool spoke tensionometer. As always, thank you for your input.

Old 10-16-23, 01:18 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Thread moved from Appraisals to Mechanics.

Old 10-16-23, 01:34 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Your tensiometer has a guide card. Use the lower end of the tension range for the spoke diameter you're using.

Or just make them reasonably tight and even in tone when plucked. This is not the kind of wheel where the tension is critical
Old 10-16-23, 01:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Was the rim bent with the taco? If so, was it bent back? If you have to true a bent rim to be straight, throw the book on spoke tension out the window. You are now just trying to salvage a botched birthday cake that fell in the open. (And that truing job will not be permanent if the bike is actually ridden much.)

At the shop I worked in mid-70s, we had a mechanic who was a master at slamming wheels to remove bends. He'd study the wheel. loosen the spokes around the bend, the slam the wheel on a concrete step. Re-tighten. a little final truing and 4 hours later hand the wheel back to the customer. (Four hours so there was zero chance of the customer seeing the process!) Mechanic fully "got" that a bent wheel had to be bent back to have any chance of being a "happy" wheel later. And bending steel and aluminum isn't a pretty process. Wheels were never perfect after the second bend. The metal would work harden at the beginning and end of the damaged area and resist the bend back. So they would never be "gems" but many went miles and years after the "treatment".

Caution - this approach worked really well for steel and 1970s aluminum rims. In the '80s, aluminum changed to a much stronger but far less forgiving of bends alloy. I only do this on the old stuff.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-16-23, 03:11 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,432 Posts
The RANGE of proper tension is a function of spoke gauge. Assuming these are 16g spokes, that would be anywhere from 60-110kgf.

I'd shoot for mid-range, or 80-90kgf both front and rear. If you want to be fancy, go 70 in front and 90 rear.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-16-23, 03:13 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Was the rim bent with the taco? If so, was it bent back? If you have to true a bent rim to be straight, throw the book on spoke tension out the window. You are now just trying to salvage a botched birthday cake that fell in the open. (And that truing job will not be permanent if the bike is actually ridden much.)

At the shop I worked in mid-70s, we had a mechanic who was a master at slamming wheels to remove bends. He'd study the wheel. loosen the spokes around the bend, the slam the wheel on a concrete step. Re-tighten. a little final truing and 4 hours later hand the wheel back to the customer. (Four hours so there was zero chance of the customer seeing the process!) Mechanic fully "got" that a bent wheel had to be bent back to have any chance of being a "happy" wheel later. And bending steel and aluminum isn't a pretty process. Wheels were never perfect after the second bend. The metal would work harden at the beginning and end of the damaged area and resist the bend back. So they would never be "gems" but many went miles and years after the "treatment".

Caution - this approach worked really well for steel and 1970s aluminum rims. In the '80s, aluminum changed to a much stronger but far less forgiving of bends alloy. I only do this on the old stuff.
The rim was replaced.
Old 10-16-23, 04:41 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I'm with FBinNY 65-80 kGf or until a nice uniform "**ping**" is acheived.

/markp
Old 10-16-23, 05:23 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
The spokes are 14 gauge, 2mm. I asked the owner to bring me the front wheel for comparison and those spokes don't even register 0 on the Park Tensionoometer, Ha. Loose as a goose. I'm getting it trued up but the replacement old used beat up rim is a real treat to work on....not.
Old 10-16-23, 06:35 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,519 Times in 2,861 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
I'm with FBinNY 65-80 kGf or until a nice uniform "**ping**" is acheived.

/markp
Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 10-17-23, 11:13 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Assuming the rim is the same type (single wall?), I'd aim for about 90 for the high range.
Old 10-17-23, 11:56 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 373 Posts
Ya'll just made my day, I'm about to show everyone in the shop...