Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Threaded steerer uneven wall thickness

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 05:36 AM
Krov9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts

So I got this old bike, and found out the steerer I.D. is out of round!

Fearing that you're gonna tell me to scrap the fork or get a new steerer brazed in, I'm asking how likely this is to cause issues?

The wall thickness seems to even out deeper down the tube, so it might just be from removing a stuck quill stem perhaps?

There are no signs of collision, bending, fracture etc. The headset threads in just fine. The flatyou can notice in the outside diameter is filed purposefully for the French kind of lockring washer.

Unfortunately the steerer isn't long enough to just saw off the damaged portion. It's a small frame, so the quill will be inserted pretty deep, propably not wedging on the damaged portion(?)

The difference is about 0,5 mm at the brim
Old 03-03-24, 07:51 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Is there any visible distortion on the outside indicating damage from over-tightening?

Old 03-03-24, 09:17 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
And the problem is…?
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-03-24, 09:39 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
I might speculate that this fork has been service tested and has passed.

At first I thought the steerer had been squeezed (like in a vise) to ovalize the top/open end. But reading that the wall thickness is what is inconsistent makes me think a production issue when the steerer was made.

Next thought is whether the walls have been actually measured (w/ a caliper) to confirm there's a variation in wall thickness and not you're not just seeing the decreasing thread crest at the very top.

As to this fork's continuing use- if this new knowledge will bother you, you won't be able to get past the possibility of something bad happening, then you need to do something about it. Like a new fork or do find a builder who will replace the steerer. Otherwise I stand by my first comment. Andy
Old 03-03-24, 09:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Threaded steerer tube. You are seeing the change in the cross-section thickness of the tube as the helical thread's min and max diameter pass through it.

You are talking about just the thickness seen on the end cut aren't you?

Last edited by Iride01; 03-03-24 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-03-24, 01:01 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Krov9
The difference is about 0,5 mm at the brim
That would be about the same as the depth of the thread, no?
Old 03-03-24, 05:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Usually this is only an optical illusion because of the helix of the first thread.

In one place the fork ends at the crest of the thread, and exactly opposite it ends at the root, appearing thinner there.

Unless there's an actual, functional problem, accept that it's OK and move on.
Old 03-04-24, 10:42 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Is the washer also out of round? Most threaded steerers have a key slot for a tabbed washer, but some older ones had a flat milled on one side for a matching washer to prevent rotation. I don't see a key slot here, and from the photo it looks more like it is the OD that is out of round.
Old 03-04-24, 11:12 AM
Krov9

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Yes there is a flat for the washer. I took a caliper to the steerer to confirm it isn't just that, neither only the thread starting nor an optical illusion.

Measured outside the filed flat, the wall thickness varies <0,5 mm. That difference should be negligible, right?

Guess I just eventually freaked out that my steerer could split in half at any moment
Old 03-04-24, 12:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Find some other threaded somewhat thin wall tubing and cut it through the threads. I think you'll see the same thing. I say to cut it, because if the cut end was previously well dressed, then the illusion might go away. Most threaded steerer tubes I've seen never have the cut end dressed up well if any was even attempted.
Old 03-04-24, 04:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Accepting the worst case, that it really Is off that much, think.....

Steerer tubes are produced to tight tolerances of ID, OD, and concentricity. However, it's possible that the threading tool started off a bit. Cutting forces would steer it back to center, so any error would be limited to the end. Plus, we know there's plenty of strength since steerers are routinely keyed to below the root of the threads.

Moreover, the stress imposed by the stem is that caused by the wedge, which is well below the last thread. Lastly the top is buttressed by the headset's cone and locknut.

All in all, this is another example of how knowing what's in the stew can spoil enjoyment of a good meal.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.