Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam - Prague by bike

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-08, 06:18 AM
Lidewij020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi!
Me and my boyfriend live in Amsterdam. Last summer we cycled from Amsterdam to Prague. This was our first bike vacation using a GPS instead of paper maps. You can see our route and pictures on https://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=39932
If you would like more GPS information on this trip for instance B&B, cheap hotels, supermarkets and camping places along the track. Send me a private message with your emailadress so i can mail it to you!
Next year we want to cycle from Venice to Amsterdam. Has anyone here done that before? Do you have useful information?
greetz!
Old 11-18-08, 03:10 PM
Gotte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks a great route. Nice pictures. I notice you steered clear of any big cities. Were you following a major radweg (or series of radweggen)? Did you plan it that way, or was that just the quickest route?
Old 11-19-08, 07:28 AM
nvn

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice, very nice.. this is one of 3 routes that might happen next summer, other 2 are prague-paris and prague-berlin ..
Old 11-19-08, 09:27 AM
Lidewij020

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gotte
That looks a great route. Nice pictures. I notice you steered clear of any big cities. Were you following a major radweg (or series of radweggen)? Did you plan it that way, or was that just the quickest route?
Thanks! It is a very nice route. It is a biking route from a dutch booklet called 'fietsen naar praag' It follows different rivers in germany usually with existing biking routes along them like Werra Radweg, Meine Radweg etcetera. Most of the time we were on radwegen or roads with little traffic, mostly paved, and sometimes unpaved, but it was ideal. There were some pretty heavy climbs, but never too steep or too long.
The route from the book starts from Nijmegen, but we planned our own route from amsterdam to the starting point. The Dutch and the German part of this route is really beautiful. We were less happy with the Czechian(?) part. We didn't like the country nor the people. Prague was ok.
Old 11-19-08, 09:31 AM
Lidewij020

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can recommend this route to anyone. Germany and Holland are very good cycling countries. Many Biking paths and many villages were you can stop for a snack or a drink. The countryside of Czech seems to be empty...
The complete stories of our bikingvacations are on www.evil.demon.nl (in Dutch, but google can translate it for you)

Last edited by Lidewij020; 11-19-08 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-19-08, 01:30 PM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easy route to pick. Ride the Danube to the Rhine, then the Rhine up home.
Old 11-21-08, 04:53 PM
Gotte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh, the Rhine...
Old 11-21-08, 04:57 PM
Gotte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nvn
nice, very nice.. this is one of 3 routes that might happen next summer, other 2 are prague-paris and prague-berlin ..
My friend and I went from Berlin to The Czech border via Potsdam, Lutherstadt Wittenburg, Torgau and Dresden, most of it on the Elbe.
I would highly recommend it, Dresden especially. It's not the most beautiful of routes in some places, no big mountains or waterfalls, but the old East is something to see, and there's still a real sense of it hiding in those small towns.
I loved it.
Old 06-08-13, 09:19 AM
fatherson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trip from amsterdam to prague

Originally Posted by Lidewij020
Hi!
Me and my boyfriend live in Amsterdam. Last summer we cycled from Amsterdam to Prague. This was our first bike vacation using a GPS instead of paper maps. You can see our route and pictures on https://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=39932
If you would like more GPS information on this trip for instance B&B, cheap hotels, supermarkets and camping places along the track. Send me a private message with your emailadress so i can mail it to you!
Next year we want to cycle from Venice to Amsterdam. Has anyone here done that before? Do you have useful information?
greetz!
Hi,

My 15 year old son and I are biking from Amsterdam to Prague (via Frankfurt) and then to Berlin. I have three questions:

1. Can you recommend a place for us to buy road bikes in Amsterdam? I'm hoping to spend approximately $700-$1500 USD per bike.
2. How hilly was the cycling in the Czech Republic?
3. What types of routes (bike paths, country roads, highways, etc.) did you travel on in the Czech Republic? In general, was it safe?

Thanks, in advance. Any other advice would be much appreciated. Our trip starts on June 17.

Mark
Old 06-08-13, 12:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
i made a loop trip , eastern part of the trip was DK to PL, on a Ferry .. then riding due south
to CZ is possible , I took a side trip to Warsaw. and back to just above the SW border of PL CZ.

I got a PL map from a Student on the Ferry from CPH. [this was '91]
Old 06-08-13, 12:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Duplicate answer ..

I purchased a Koga Bike , they have a great line of bikes and they sell a fully outfitted Bike

for touring ..

.. and a 26" wheel type is BTO through their Signature line , then Shipped to the dealers ..

see Dealer list at https://koga.com/koga_uk/,, some are very close to AMS Shiphol Airport ,

for a Fly in and Ride away, pre set up, Arrangement..

But they wont meet the price point question..
I'm hoping to spend approximately $700-$1500 USD per bike.
maybe a city/cross-bike with a rear rack . and a triple crank will do.

European VAT may be refunded, once you Mail the paperwork back from Outside the EU/UK.
so get the papers stamped at the airport on the way Home.

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-08-13 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-10-13, 12:34 PM
Lidewij020

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fatherson
Hi,

My 15 year old son and I are biking from Amsterdam to Prague (via Frankfurt) and then to Berlin. I have three questions:

1. Can you recommend a place for us to buy road bikes in Amsterdam? I'm hoping to spend approximately $700-$1500 USD per bike.
2. How hilly was the cycling in the Czech Republic?
3. What types of routes (bike paths, country roads, highways, etc.) did you travel on in the Czech Republic? In general, was it safe?

Thanks, in advance. Any other advice would be much appreciated. Our trip starts on June 17.

Mark
1. Go to "De Vakantiefietser" (www.vakantiefietser.nl) in the Westerstraat. They are specialized in travelling bikes. The people who work there all have hands on experience. Even if you do not buy anything, the place is worth a visit for a cup of coffee and a talk. Ask if you may see the travelling guide "Fietsen naar Praag".

2. Especially around Marianske Lazne it is quite hilly. Some hairpin turns are included.

3. Mostly country roads. Near Prague we ended up on the wrong side of the Moldau (missed a bridge) and that road was quite busy. The czechian car drivers slow down to pass you, but once they have they step on the gas and leave you in a grey cloud

Good luck on your trip!

Edit: If you want to buy a cheaper bike, check out www.marktplaats.nl and look for second hand travelling bikes (search on brand for instance) or https://www.wereldfietser.nl/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=11.

Last edited by Lidewij020; 06-10-13 at 12:47 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-03-14, 06:37 AM
zrzavyorm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello

can you please direct me to any information regarding biking from amsterdam to prague?

i would like to bike the opposite direction - from Cheb - Czech Republic to Amsterdam (about 850km)
i would like to take the safest trail - with as little traffic as possible
can you recommend any websites/forums where i can learn about the trails or download GPS information?
i would like to use my android phone for navigation
Old 05-31-16, 05:05 AM
Rose 77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi i would love more gps info on the route from holland to prague. In english its hard to find...I am specifically looking for campgrounds along the route. Any info would be very much appreciated! Rtieges@ hotmail.com thanks!
Old 05-31-16, 08:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Danube has a nice river levee road with lots of campgrounds along the way... turn north @ Linz?
Old 05-31-16, 11:44 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The accordions in Chezovokia are made well. And many good players.
Old 05-31-16, 11:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I have a Czech made Mandolin, in the american Gibson style ..
Old 12-31-17, 07:18 PM
2terry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Terry

Can you send me details of your bike ride from Amsterdam to Prague to -------------------- I cycled from Venice to Amsterdam 16 years ago and I’ll try to find the route I used regards Terry

Last edited by cb400bill; 12-31-17 at 09:17 PM. Reason: email removed for internet safety
Old 12-31-17, 09:53 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I have a Czech made Mandolin, in the american Gibson style ..
Bemusingly enough, I do too, although mine is the more traditional teardrop style. Bought it in Prague as a student, cause i was bored...

That said, this is one helluva zombie. I'd personally go the other way, its downhill and Schipol stocks bike boxes...
Old 12-31-17, 10:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

AMS into Belgium . Calais Dover. thru Britain,, Newcastle Ferry to Norway another one to DK CPH to Poland Baltic Ferry..

I got off an overnight train from Warsaw to Jelena Gora Poland , rode south , thru Prague in 91, to Linz Austria then Bavaria

Alsace into Belgium again then back to as you say Shiphol ..

Old 01-02-18, 03:18 AM
2terry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would be interested in your route to Prague could you contact me on.
terryandersson@hotmail.com
Old 02-08-23, 08:25 AM
Satyagra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I am coming across your post about your Amsterdam-Prague trip, but I am unable to open the links. Are you able to send them to me directly, at kelda.mcgurk@gmail.com, or re-post them here, please?

Or perhaps just tell me if you followed the route exactly from the book that you referenced? Perhaps I can find that book, for the routes. I would be traveling with my 15-year old daughter, so want to be sure that the safety and topography is doable for her.

Thank you,
Kelda
Old 02-14-23, 05:58 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Satyagra
....coming across your post about your Amsterdam-Prague trip, but I am unable to open the links...
the post you referenced was from 2008.
any links probably dead by now.
try crazy guy trip reports for more recent tour details.

crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: A place for bicycle tourists and their journals
Old 02-20-23, 12:34 AM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Lidewij020
I can recommend this route to anyone. Germany and Holland are very good cycling countries. Many Biking paths and many villages were you can stop for a snack or a drink. The countryside of Czech seems to be empty...
The complete stories of our bikingvacations are on www.evil.demon.nl (in Dutch, but google can translate it for you)
This was our experience in Czech, too. A lot of the small villages seemed almost “closed” when we rode through. We toured after Labor Day and during the week. Maybe that was part of the reason.