Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Purchase a new pair of carbon sole SIDI road shoes but now I'm getting a

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 09:24 AM
MulliganAl

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tarmac with Mavic ES wheels, 2009 Specialized Hardrock, 2014 Rivendell Sam Hillborne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

numbing feeling on the outside of both feet. I like my SIDIs a lot, even more than the Specialized shoes I had, but I just can't figure out why my foot is getting numb. Any suggestions?
Old 08-03-11, 09:51 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try moving the cleat around. If that doesn't help, then you are going to have to return the shoes. I had to return some Shimano shoes for the same reason.

On another note, road pedals and shoes are more comfortable for riding, although they suck for walking. Mountain bike shoes are decent for walking, but often not ideal for riding longer distances.
Old 08-03-11, 04:33 PM
tanguy frame

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah - I had that same problem with carbon soled shimano road shoes. I returned them. the carbon footbed didn't break in and mold to my foot, so if it wasn't a perfect fit to begin with, it was trouble. for me, they were slightly too narrow in the toe box. no amount of cleat adjustment could compensate for that.
Old 08-03-11, 10:01 PM
igknighted

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sidi shoes are much narrower that Specialized, sounds like your foot may just be too wide. Did you get the Mega version? Any chance you could exchange for the Mega version (essentially their wide width)?

If you're stuck with them, try repositioning the cleat as suggested above. Sometimes the cleat position can cause issues like this.
Old 08-04-11, 12:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
upgrade the insole..
Old 08-04-11, 03:19 PM
MulliganAl

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tarmac with Mavic ES wheels, 2009 Specialized Hardrock, 2014 Rivendell Sam Hillborne

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by igknighted
Sidi shoes are much narrower that Specialized, sounds like your foot may just be too wide. Did you get the Mega version? Any chance you could exchange for the Mega version (essentially their wide width)?

If you're stuck with them, try repositioning the cleat as suggested above. Sometimes the cleat position can cause issues like this.
Fortunately I did purchase the Mega shoes. I loosened the straps and the buckle a bit yesterday and it was a bit better. Now I'll begin to adjust the cleat to see if that helps any.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
upgrade the insole..
Do most folks purchase better/different insoles for their cycling shoes or do most folks just stick with the stock insole? Are there some that are recommended for cycling?
Old 08-04-11, 05:11 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MulliganAl
Do most folks purchase better/different insoles for their cycling shoes or do most folks just stick with the stock insole? Are there some that are recommended for cycling?
Depends on the insole the shoe came with. I replaced the insole in 2 of my 3 pairs of cycling shoes. There are some really nice, high-priced, cycling-specific insoles out there but I just use some from the drug store. They just seem to fit my feet well. I use the same brand in my hiking boots as well.
Old 08-04-11, 05:27 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am going through the same thing. Bought new shoes a little bigger then my last. Still same issue. Working on using the metatorsal buttons as well as an orthatic. Will try bigger pedals in the future.