Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10, 01:04 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
So So Nice

Old 05-15-10, 02:17 PM
mazr

Bikes: Schwinn Frontier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicagoan
Yeah if I were in Chicago, this was downstate in Peoria Il, I was hoping for like $10-15

That's right up the street from my house. I stop in there every week to see what's available. I looked at that exact bike. passed up an old Puch about a month ago.
Old 05-15-10, 05:29 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well done dgodave.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 05-15-10, 05:38 PM
metehan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saved a Nishiki Continental! I don't know how "vintage" these are but definitely a fun project bike.

Some pics tonight
Old 05-15-10, 08:30 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I came home and this was leaning against my shed when I got home. I think my bike bud dropped it off, with abit of cleaning it would look brand new, it has mint condition 28" tires and rims
Old 05-15-10, 08:40 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Scored some Peugeot fenders for my UO8 project today... and the aluminium with black stripes are what a copper coloured bike would have come fitted with.

Will need to track down those damn Peugeot fittings now.

But free fenders are free fenders.

Now... to find one of these Huret suicide shifters.

Image taken from https://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/20...-shifters.html

Old 05-15-10, 08:48 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicagoan
Overpaid, but picked up this tiny Schwinn Sprint from the Salvation army for my little sister. $35 its really clean, 1970's i believe and shifts through all gears, tires held air. Brakes are fine. I towed it home tonight after traffic died down with my track bike with no brakes a ****load of heavy groceries in my bag and BMX Platform pedals. Going downhill was interesting to say the least, and towing uphill was sloooowww. I Love it. It has 24" tires on it.
Mid 80s, based on the decals. That was the lowest end of the range for Schwinn at the time. I had one pass through my hands. A very sturdy bike.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-16-10, 07:23 AM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Despite having far too many irons in the fire, i picked these up over the last week or so.

first, a schwinn cruiser w/ a MTB fork and red stripe coaster brake hub...for parts for a cruiser build..

a Bianchi from its original owner....made in Italy, well-worn Suntour Cyclone group with replacement Shimano 7 speed freewheel.. (which is slightly taller than I usually ride, but tolerable...though i would be interested in trading for a 55/56cm if anyone here is game)

and "Columbus Formula Two" tubing...what's that?

A Raleigh Sprite. Seat and bars are in a funky configuration, but with adjusting should be a cool ride

And, for my son, a Raleigh Space Rider, 3 speed 24" wheel bike with coaster brake...

and, a pair of front/rear Jim Blackburn racks...can anyone ID what these are and how they're used? (i assume the tubing is a special pannier mount deal??)

Last edited by fiataccompli; 05-16-10 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-16-10, 07:41 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by fiataccompli
...and, a pair of front/rear Jim Blackburn racks...can anyone ID what these are and how they're used? (i assume the tubing is a special pannier mount deal??)
They look like standard Blackburn racks. I've got three or four of the rear ones, never used a front one. The brackets look familiar. They might have been the mounting hardware for a particular set of panniers; the name Eclipse comes to mind.
Old 05-16-10, 09:09 AM
TireLever-07

Bikes: 2009 Masi, 2014 Specialized Crossroads 1975 Schwinn Unicycle

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, Eclipse had that slotted ,,dovetail pannier mounting. Possibly Kirkland used something similar.They were rather high end bags. Chris
Old 05-16-10, 09:11 AM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
any hopes of finding the bags made for these racks? or am I dreaming...
Old 05-16-10, 10:39 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave
I bought this 1983 Trek 620 this morning at a yard sale down the road for $50
Came with the handlebar bag, pump, rack, panniers.... and.... Trek owners manual.
(No seat though, I added that just to take it for a quick spin as soon as I got home.)

So. Freaking. Jealous.

(AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!)
Old 05-16-10, 10:57 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by fiataccompli
any hopes of finding the bags made for these racks? or am I dreaming...
Hmmmmmmmm, I may have a set hiding someplace. Emphasis on hiding.
Old 05-16-10, 12:39 PM
auchencrow

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Good deals seem to be falling from the sky lately ... a Trek 614, a Miyata Nimbus, a Miyata 610, and this afternoon - this Fuji Special Racer c. 1975...

It has a Suntour V-GT-Luxe and a Compe-5 Derailleur, Nitto stem and bars, Ukai alloy rims, forged chromed double eyelet dropouts, etc, etc. -But beyond the quality of the components, there is something about this HIGH TEN frame that speaks to me.

Last edited by auchencrow; 05-16-10 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-16-10, 01:00 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
The neighborhood we live in has an annual community-wide garage sale, has had it for years. In fact that's how we first found the neighborhood 21 years ago and decided we wanted to look for a house here. We have both bought and sold things at the sales over the years, but today was the first time I went out specifically looking for bikes.

To keep it quick I rode my son's Specialized Hardrock. I did not find a vintage lightweight for myself, but for $30 found another HardRock, which will get cleaned up and either go to the neighbor's 14 y o son, or get flipped on CL. I sold a similar one for $100, so this could finally put some money into the Bike Fund.

HardRock1..jpg

Having finished the neighborhood I stopped to talk with a guy who was loading a couple of bikes into a pickup truck. He was a flipper and had found a Raleigh LTD-3 which he offered to me for $50 (meaning he probably paid $10). I said no thanks, reflecting that if he had not scored a Mercian for $50 then no one had.

I took one more turn down an alley I'd already checked, and in a small garage, under a blanket, something dark metallic green caught my eye:

Raleigh1..jpg

Raleigh Sports, Ladies, with a cracked but I think usable Brooks, one replaced pedal. At $15 I could hardly say no, could I? Seller was the original owner, who had bought it through the American Youth Hostel Association through some deal they had years ago. I should have asked her if she still had anything like an owners' manual or pump, though I doubt it.

My wife and teen kids were off at an Ultimate Frisbee match, and they just now came home. As I expected, it was love at first sight for daughter and Raleigh. She likes anything old and funky, and I knew a Sports would be right up her alley.

All in all a very satisfying morning!

Now...maybe a nice long ride for myself?

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 05-16-10 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-16-10, 01:02 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I finally caught my out of control hops crop! Whew, I knew I was saving wheels for a reason

Old 05-16-10, 01:53 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Fuji Special Racer c. 1975...

It has Suntour V-GT-Luxe and a Compe-5 Derailleurs, Nitto stem and bars, Ukai alloy rims, forged chromed double eyelet dropouts, etc, etc. -But beyond the quality of the components, there is something about this HIGH TEN frame that speaks to me.

I just picked one up myself in the same exact color as the one I had as a kid. The crankset looks a little less "awesome" than it did back then, but these bikes are pretty nice...my personal choice over a Super Course any day.
Old 05-16-10, 03:13 PM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really like that crankset...i'd say it's not "awesome" but it looks very cool on the upright/townie type bike i put it on..
Old 05-16-10, 03:32 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by cycleheimer
.... these bikes are pretty nice...my personal choice over a Super Course any day.
Heretic !

(I do agree these are pretty nice bikes - but a Super Course? Really?)
Old 05-16-10, 05:22 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Heretic !

(I do agree these are pretty nice bikes - but a Super Course? Really?)
Cottered steel crank set? Straight gauge Reynolds 531 probably tops the Hi-Ten, though.

IMHO, the Ukai rims and Sunshine hubs are excellent for that range of bike.

Funny thing is, Eugene Sloane in The New Complete Book of Bicycles (1974

edition) mentions both bikes in his listing of "Moderate-Cost, Good Quality Derailleur

Bicycles". Sounds like coin tossing time to me.
Old 05-16-10, 06:08 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Cottered steel crank set? Straight gauge Reynolds 531 probably tops the Hi-Ten, though.

IMHO, the Ukai rims and Sunshine hubs are excellent for that range of bike.

Funny thing is, Eugene Sloane in The New Complete Book of Bicycles (1974

edition) mentions both bikes in his listing of "Moderate-Cost, Good Quality Derailleur

Bicycles". Sounds like coin tossing time to me.
Yeah, but
"These (Super Courses) are quite nice bikes, often suitable for upgrading to modern parts." - Sheldon Brown.

To his point, mine have all been upgraded to varying extents.
I must confess though, that the best shifting one happens to have the same DR as this Fuji Special Racer, and (like my SC's), the Fuji seems to have a special character of its own.

I am worried that I will not want to sell this Fuji when I get done with it... It's getting really hard to decide how to thin the herd these days, because (despite my extreme frugality), I'm getting stuck with too many nice bikes.
Old 05-16-10, 06:16 PM
cycleheimer

I am worried that I will not want to sell this Fuji when I get done with it...

I also have an 18-speed S-12-S (S-18-S, right?), and I put about 40 to 50 miles on it today. Rides nicely.
Old 05-16-10, 06:31 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I picked this up today. I noticed it was repainted. looks like it was blue before the paintjob/ the question is what is this? it's very light and the rear rim is a glue on type. the headset is campy and dropouts are suntour.
Heres some pics. I love the crank is hased! why would then put that crappy derailer on it? the frame mount is hidden behind it

Old 05-16-10, 06:44 PM
divineAndbright

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HSean: Looks like someone was in the process of doing some horrible hack job on it and eventually gave up. Not sure what it is, I smell french though (probably due to the crankset and the centerpull).. looks like a worthy save!
Old 05-16-10, 07:35 PM
HSean

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The guy said he removed parts and used it on a trainer, WHY! why did he put craptastic parts and throw the rest out?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.