Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-11, 09:11 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I built up a pair of CR18's for one of my project Sports today. They build up pretty well too. One of these days I should buy a spoke tension gauge but I'm too stubborn. Probably wouldn't help much for speed anyhow and just slow me down.
Old 05-18-11, 09:23 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Initial catch o' day was a free set of Tektro 862 Cantilever brakes that were originally from a Surly Cross-check. Looks new. Basically copies of Shimano Alivio's.

Then the donor says, he had a small framed Schwinn from the 80s that would fit my wife. Asked if I'd be interested. We checked it out and it turned out to be a Schwinn Super Le Tour in 48cm. It isn't stock though as he tried to modify it to make it comfortable for his wife. She didn't like the position so she stopped riding it. He installed flat bars, SunRace grip shifter, and a Shimano Altus RD to make it index. It had some scratches, but not too bad.
Not sure what's left was stock equipment. Not even sure what year yet.
But it sported a Columbus Tenax sticker and that was a good omen. It fits my wife very well. So we offered $50 and closed the deal.
It has a Sunshine high flange front and an Atom high flange rear hub. Araya 27x1 1/4" alloy rims.
Suntour Cyclone II RD, SR Silstar Custom crank, 6 speed uniglide freewheel.
Dia Compe GX500n sidepulls, SR Custom stem and Laprade post.
Not sure if these are stock on a Super LeTour.

It does sport a top braze on for shifters on the down tube. The seller didn't keep any of the old stuff he took off.
It must have been for a Suntour Symmetric.

Update: Discovered it's a 1985. And most of the equipment isn't stock except for the brake calipers, FD, stem and seat post. Oh well.

Last edited by WNG; 05-18-11 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-18-11, 10:51 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Amesja
I built up a pair of CR18's for one of my project Sports today. They build up pretty well too. One of these days I should buy a spoke tension gauge but I'm too stubborn. Probably wouldn't help much for speed anyhow and just slow me down.
I have been building wheels for a long time... only use a gauge if the build is something out of the ordinary.

Have never had anyone come back with a wheel issue save for one occasion when they ran over their wheel with their car and another when a customer got clipped by a truck... my guarantee does not cover things like this.

I send wheels out and never see them again and can only assume that they continue to run true and don't give their owners any grief.

CR18's are nice to build... they are rather stiff rims and they pretty much build themselves, Rhyno Lites are even better.

The new Rhynolites on my P20 are virtually 0/0 wheels and on a ride the other day I had to stop and back off my V-brakes as I had them set really close and the heat of the day and some extended braking caused the pads and rim to expand just enough to make them act as a drag brake.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 05-18-11 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-19-11, 02:16 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
WNG it's funny to see a flatbar on a roadie.. i'm used to seeing it it for fixed gear/SS but not with grip shift and derailleurs haha
Old 05-19-11, 04:38 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I picked up this old Raleigh (Superbe?) last night.
It was a very good price and overall is in good condition.
It has several peculiarities that I've not seen before and I am seeking additional info on it, in the "for the love of English Three speeds" thread.

Old 05-19-11, 09:52 AM
neocaligatio

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Saved this from the dump today, but unfortunately it's heading back there once the parts have been stripped...

The wheels are is very good condition, the mudguards and chainguard are definitely salvageable, the bars are good and the the chap even gave me a brand new 20" tyre too. The problem is the frame - rusted right through in two places so it's only being held together with cable/zip ties. Luckily I'm fixing up an old BSA shopper for my other half so the parts will be given a new lease of life!
Old 05-19-11, 10:14 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
WNG - that Super LeTour has loads of potential, great score even with the frankenbike factor!

Auchen - very superb Superbe - great patina and I love the 3-pin crank & wingnuts.
Old 05-19-11, 12:13 PM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
A buddy of mine passed this on to me, I have no idea what to do with it.

It's too big for me (58cm tt where as I fit a 55 perfectly), so I should sell it, right? Weeeeeell...

It was crashed though and there's some damage (flaking paint) just behind the head tube lugs on the bottom of the top tube and the top of the down tube. I'm willing to ride it, but I don't exactly feel right about selling it off. Hmmmmmm.

It came to me with a grey original Flite, which I promptly put on my mountain bike, and a different set of bars and stem which I swapped for a Dura-Ace stem and 64's to get the fit closer to right.
Old 05-19-11, 12:45 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'll take her off your hands... ^^^^
Old 05-19-11, 01:19 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Originally Posted by realestvin7
I'll take her off your hands... ^^^^

nice Ironman tashi.. very popular bikes around this forum too bad it's too small for you.. it's just my size
Old 05-19-11, 02:03 PM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got this Diamondback for free on CL yesterday. It needs work, but a great bike for the price.

Old 05-19-11, 02:45 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

^ nice bike and great price. wish i could find a cheap good quality mtb as a donor bike for my Diamondback Apex frame
Old 05-19-11, 02:52 PM
YoKev
hi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My mom literally pulled this out of a dumpster a few weeks back, and I was finally able to check it out in person! It's a really nice Sears bike, made in France. Lugged headtube only. I love the color, the fenders, the fork blades, and the rear rack. Plus, it doesn't have drop bars!! The shifting is a little finicky but the Huret drivetrain is working well enough and the tires are even still good. This bike has had very little use

Old 05-19-11, 03:08 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by YoKev
My mom literally pulled this out of a dumpster a few weeks back...
You have one extremely cool mom!
Old 05-19-11, 03:21 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterpile
I got this Diamondback for free on CL yesterday. It needs work, but a great bike for the price.
You might want to check to see if those are recalled Shimano cranks. If so, Shimano will replace the cranks, front derailleur, bottom bracket and chain for free.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-19-11, 03:23 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
1964 Triumph speed I was given a few weeks ago and just gave to my friend... my catch is now his catch and will leave him to do the polishing and cleaning of those fenders.

Old 05-19-11, 03:40 PM
monsterpile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
You might want to check to see if those are recalled Shimano cranks. If so, Shimano will replace the cranks, front derailleur, bottom bracket and chain for free.
That Diamondback was safe, but I never did check all my mtb frames sitting around and after doing so I found this little beast (catch of the day from CL over a year ago) has those cranks. What do I do now? How does this process work? Should I throw a wheelset on this frame for the recall work?

Old 05-19-11, 05:42 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

RECALL:
I went through this last winter. All you need to do is remove the cranks and take them to an authorized Shimano dealer. This is the important part, otherwise they can't do anything for you. They will contact corporate in CA, and they are supposed to send out a refit kit. Consists of a new low end Tourney triple crank, matching UN26 cartridge BB, a new steel Tourney FD, and a new HG50 chain.
I returned two of the recalled cranks, corporate rep tried to give me only one complete kit and a drive side crankarm. I said "REALLY??"
2 weeks later the 2nd kit came into the LBS. Not really the LBS's fault. But make sure they work for you. The recall is still valid.
Old 05-19-11, 06:14 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Had a nice afternoon with an older bike enthusiast friend of mine. He suffered a double stroke recently and is recovering. He was down about no longer able to bike or even wrench on bikes. We were having an unseasonably nice day in the 70s. So, I took him along with me today on a parts hunt. The seller was a cool former racer now coach. The three of us got to talk 'bike' and I got to check out some nice hardware. My friend had a blast and I bought 3 NOS frames (modern Al, not C&V) for my kids and myself. The C&V catch were 3 sets of Bulls-eye pulleys! And Dura Ace 7401 Look pedals, Dura Ace 10 speed bar-ends, a new Tektro rear DP caliper, a Shimano SG 53t chainring (that I needed to refurb a DA 7400 crank), and a pair of bull horn brake levers.
A good day indeed.

Old 05-19-11, 07:24 PM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
nice day indeed.

My thrifty brother snagged these on local trash pickup day for me. A Fuji Sports 10 (in my size) and an older Cro-Mo Mongoose Threshold that was made in Taiwan. Unfortunately this time around theres no joke about it... The fork IS bent. I think I have one I can swap out, but it'll have a mismached brake. I'm going to have to check with a friends junk pile before I do that.

Did I mention the Fuji is in my size?

Also, check this out. I finally own something that says 'Paramount' on it ;p

Last edited by BigPolishJimmy; 05-19-11 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-19-11, 07:26 PM
SteveSGP

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1976 Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Speaking of awesome moms, mine picked up this beautiful little Fuji at a garage sale today for $10.00!!

And, one of the guys I work with brought me this one yesterday, a 1979 Record Ace in really pretty nice shape.

Old 05-19-11, 08:12 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
WNG - that Super LeTour has loads of potential, great score even with the frankenbike factor!
Yeah, it's a cool little frame. I have parts and wheels off an 86 Prelude that I can raid. It'll be a drop bar bike again!
Old 05-19-11, 09:38 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by WNG
RECALL:
I went through this last winter. All you need to do is remove the cranks and take them to an authorized Shimano dealer. This is the important part, otherwise they can't do anything for you. They will contact corporate in CA, and they are supposed to send out a refit kit. Consists of a new low end Tourney triple crank, matching UN26 cartridge BB, a new steel Tourney FD, and a new HG50 chain.
I returned two of the recalled cranks, corporate rep tried to give me only one complete kit and a drive side crankarm. I said "REALLY??"
2 weeks later the 2nd kit came into the LBS. Not really the LBS's fault. But make sure they work for you. The recall is still valid.
Just look at the codes on them. You don't have to take them off the bike, just show the bike shop and they can order the recall parts from Shimano. You don't have to do any work.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-19-11, 10:57 PM
monsterpile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WNG
RECALL:
Thanks this is more simple than I expected.
Old 05-20-11, 07:03 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I just changed one of these cranks out at work. Not for breakage, but something equally as dangerous. The ramps on the chainrings formed barbs over time, which grabbed the chain and pulled it up into the BB. I filed them down, but he was still having trouble with it. Sounds like it was just a horrible crankset all the way around(no pun intended, lol!),,,,BD

On a side note. I think I have a set of those transplanted onto my old Marin Team. They will be trashed before the next ride!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.