Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Attacked by dog today

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Attacked by dog today

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-09, 10:26 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by martialman.45
I just read the back of the can. It says its a federal offense to use in a manner other than the intended use. I dont know what to do now. Maybe just order some pepper spray. Its going to get expensive to use though with the number of dogs I encounter.
Easy, I saw the wasp on the dogs nose.

Old 10-01-09, 10:27 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by ScarcelyAware
OP,

Why did you stop to "confront" the animal?

I would have dropped the dog and gotten it over with.
Better be sure you can drop it. The only thing worse than being taken down by a dog is being taken down at 30 mph by a dog.
Old 10-01-09, 11:21 PM
martialman.45

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) dog was at first in front of me due to ambushing guy on quad from trees 2) German shepherd top speed is 30-35mph, mine is 30 if im lucky
https://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ad/328520.html
Old 10-01-09, 11:38 PM
Kerian
Internet!

Bikes: Nashbar Road Mk II, Trek Soho S, Kestrel Talon SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abIz1KZOOzg
Old 10-02-09, 07:11 AM
NickDavid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can understand not out-sprinting a greyhound, but we're talking German Shepherd. I guess it would depend on the situation, but I would assume most roadies could out-sprint a dog.

Regardless, it's good to hear that you suffered no injury. I have a very large German Shepherd and can't imagine how one would look if it were to attack.
Old 10-02-09, 07:14 AM
gabdy

Bikes: Trek, Giant, PoS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So do Glocks. I would not want to face this dog again with nothing but a pump.
What's with you yanks and wanting to shoot everything?
Old 10-02-09, 07:35 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only time I've ever been afraid of a dog while riding is when one darted out in front of me while I was going 25+ mph.

Dogs can sense your fear, and will take advantage of that in order to dominate you; especially German Shepherds.

GSDs have been bred to... herd. They do that very well and instinctively do it all the time. Chances are that this particualr dog was attempting that with the quad, then you. They nip at your heels, so chances are that it was not going to bite hard, if at all.

I'm guessing the dog was startled because it was doing its 'job' and you gave an unexpected reaction. Then, you let your fear of dogs take advantage of you, letting the dog become the dominent one. Thrusting the bike at the dog, without the dog actually attacking the bike, shows its intent was not to attack. It also shows that the dog was not in fear of you, nor the bike.
Old 10-02-09, 07:39 AM
Quel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A handgun just won't do the trick. Just build a mount for a shotgun on your top tube. Sure, mounting things to your bike is a bit fredly, but I don't think anyone will have the guts to tell you that to your face.
Old 10-02-09, 07:48 AM
cyclewolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NickDavid
I can understand not out-sprinting a greyhound, but we're talking German Shepherd. I guess it would depend on the situation, but I would assume most roadies could out-sprint a dog.
The thing I find with a lot of dogs is they really know their angles. Riding by a house with a dog that notices you from their porch - they aim to cut you off and have a knack for knowing at what point they will meet you at. At least for the dogs that aim to really give chase.

Then there are the dogs that really have no intention of leaving their yard and just want to bark and come out into the yard a bit to make sure you aren't stopping by. They give a half-hearted chase and are easy to out-sprint, but they never really had an intention to actually chase you down.

With the dogs I encounter I usually keep a reasonable speed and they stop at the edge of their yard. For the ones that come on to the road more aggressively I generally come to a stop, put my bike between me and them and then proceed to yell at the dog. If they continue I take the handy Zefal frame pump and prepare to yield it like a club. (I've tried air horns, water bottles, ammonia, etc and I've had the best luck with this procedure). In some cases I tend to be very confrontational with the dog and will actually at times take steps towards it while yielding the frame pump (I imagine this looks quite comical to folks seeing this). To date every dog I have done this with has hesitated and thought twice of coming closer.

Really though, this happens rarely - most of the dogs I encounter quickly lose interest when they see you aren't coming into their yard and just riding by.
Old 10-02-09, 08:05 AM
dhale50

Bikes: Ridley Damocles, CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just ride with this guy:

Old 10-02-09, 08:36 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by gabdy
What's with you yanks and wanting to shoot everything?
I keep wondering this, honestly. I mean, guns are cool and all, but there are a lot of people who seem to be searching for any excuse to be "forced" to shoot something, or even be "forced" to spray poison on something. You know, just maybe some of the dogs are sensing the latent aggression in you. The worst thing to happen to me when I come across a dog - including unleashed ones - is needing to slow down until I'm past them. I could never live with myself if I shot a dog unless I was certain it was rabid or actually trying to kill me, not just run at me and bark.
Old 10-02-09, 08:48 AM
Flash
Are you with me

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
man those are some tough ride conditions. 5-15 dogs per ride? Sounds like you are experienced and this helped. I rarely see dogs on my rides and this likely contributed to my slow reaction when I was attacked a couple of summers ago. I have the permanent scar to remind me:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...&highlight=dog
Old 10-02-09, 08:49 AM
Flash
Are you with me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dhale50
Just ride with this guy:

the dog that bit me was owned by a dog trainer
Old 10-02-09, 09:00 AM
unbelievablyred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually just break into a sprint when I see a dog charging and they give up, although I've had some close calls.

I've caused a dog to get hit by a car before too (not intentionally of course). This guy's yard was surrounded by thick woods on both sides adjacent to the road, and his dog just went blindly charging across the road at me, only to be hit by a car coming from the opposite direction. Can't say I was sorry, that little mutt always viciously chased me.
Old 10-02-09, 09:48 AM
SendMoreChris
Ego is my PED

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a dog that didn't try to chase me a couple days ago. It stood there and watched, didn't bark or anything. WEIRD

1)They should always be on leashes, sure, but they're not.

2)Dogs chase things, it's what they do. Add in the fact that cyclist are perfect dog-chase size, moving at perfect dog-chase speed and their "Throw the ball, throw the ball" instinct goes crazy.

3)Not every dog that chases you wants to chew on your calf, sure there are bad ones, but shooting poison at every dog that jumps on the chase is irresponsible.
Old 10-02-09, 09:53 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by unbelievablyred
Can't say I was sorry, that little mutt always viciously chased me.
Unless you know (and you can't) that it was actually going to hurt you, I don't think I'm allowed to post what this makes me think of you.
Old 10-02-09, 09:56 AM
Quel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Unless you know (and you can't) that it was actually going to hurt you, I don't think I'm allowed to post what this makes me think of you.
The dog got ran over trying to chase him in the street. Not the riders fault there. That's the dog owners fault.
Old 10-02-09, 10:00 AM
Flash
Are you with me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SendMoreChris
3)Not every dog that chases you wants to chew on your calf, sure there are bad ones, but shooting poison at every dog that jumps on the chase is irresponsible.
Have you ever been attacked and bit by a dog while riding your bike?

While I understand that much of the problem lies with dog owners, if a dog is charging me and looking like it means business and he is closing, out comes the mace.
Old 10-02-09, 10:13 AM
SendMoreChris
Ego is my PED

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All dogs "look like he means business" when they're running. I've been chased by a lab and a rottweiler (that one was a little scary) No, I've never been bitten because I can out-sprint a dog. You could too if you were not fiddling around for your weapon of choice. They can't, or don't, hold speed for very long.
Old 10-02-09, 10:23 AM
cofgrn
Neighbor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of the time I've had real dangerous situations with dogs is when I'm riding uphill and can't turn around due to the route, so there's no sprinting around the dog. To the dog owners / "lovers" representing here: Please keep your dog leashed unless you want it pepper sprayed or shot by someone not wanting to be bit by it.
Old 10-02-09, 10:25 AM
hopsing08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The spray I bought shoots up to 25'. I'll try it out on the small chase dogs next ride.
the only thing that sucks is you really have to aim with those. so your gonna be looking at the dog, spray it, crash, and then the dog is gonna be PISSED OFF. good luck with that.
Old 10-02-09, 11:00 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RichinPeoria
that was an interesting read, thanks
I learned that the type of people who use Wasp Spray as a weapon are the type who think mugging Amish folk on buggies will be lucrative.
Old 10-02-09, 11:19 AM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a dog that bites on a hill near here. Going up hill sucks and I've had to kick the crap out of him once. Down is easy to outrun him. Big ole black lab with an attitude.

A well placed kick with a hard soled cycling shoe does the trick for me.
Old 10-02-09, 11:26 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I usually encounter from 5-15 dogs on my ride but they just chase, never try to bite. Today a very large German Shepherd came up from the right side trying to make a meal of my calf. I saw the dog comming as he first went after a guy on a quad that sped away. I came to a stop to confront the animal, unclipped and kicked as he/she was going for a bite all at the same time. This move startled the dog enuff to give me time to dismount and get my bike between us. After making some thrusting type strikes with my bike the dog stoped the attack that lasted maybe 2-4 seconds. Just went to the store and picked up some wasp spray that should reach 25' in preperation for next time. I also intend to renew my handgun license asap in case an emergency happens. Given the chance I would have shot the dog, a bit of a scary situation that left me fearing for my safty.
I'm a bit confused by this report.

You appear to have some experience with dogs, so this is definitely an unusual ride. However, stopping and preparing for a confrontation is the best way to guarantee you'll get one. Then you get attacked, but there's enough time to dismount?

Most of the rest of it makes sense but you fear for your safety from one dog? I totally understand not wanting to be bitten, but even a Shep represents more of a threat of pain than actual danger. In the case at hand, you would have shot a dog that sounds like didn't even get you. If a dog is serious about attacking you, it's really hard to get away without any bites at all.

BTW, watch out for the cars and trucks when you ride. A dog killing a cyclist is a truly rare thing. In a normal year, 700-800 cyclists a year get killed by motorists
Old 10-02-09, 11:28 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by banerjek
BTW, watch out for the cars and trucks when you ride. A dog killing a cyclist is a truly rare thing. In a normal year, 700-800 cyclists a year get killed by motorists
I bring my wasp-spray to deal with cars and trucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.