Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Charlotte NC area riders

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Charlotte NC area riders

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-07, 07:20 AM
VegaVixen

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfpack
good grief could you twist my arm just a little more, how 'bout it???

guess i could see if the hubby & kid would like to go to charleston for the weekend...crits...that's really racin' ain't it?? well, you've got the rest of today to twist my arm so i have time to break this on them....
*TWIST* You will need to get a women's Cat 4 license for that race. This is perhaps the only crit I will do this season. Reason: nearly all crits involve very tight cornering and pack skills. This one is a bit different on several grounds: it's fairly flat, and it has wide sweeping corners, making it a perfect first crit for Cat 5 men and Cat 4 women without prior crit experience. I just want to know what it's like, and to see what I can learn. This one is part of the Cheerwine Women's Cat 4 Series, BTW. */TWIST*
Old 04-16-07, 07:26 AM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
can you get a one day license for this event?

nevermind, you can. read the flyer dummy
Old 04-16-07, 07:53 AM
VegaVixen

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
But you may as well get it for the year: $60 (compare to the one-day license). If you do plan to do another couple of races, the one-year license is worth it. Plus, you'll be just a bit more committed to making it happen.

And, yes, CM, just try one TT. Just like ridin' in circles at HMS, only your adrenaline goes up a bit, and you find yourself thinkin', "Yeah, gonna do my personal best time tonight!" and on that last mile, ya hammer, well-tucked and head down, 'til ya see those double lines 'neath your wheels. Whew!

Anyone got a cigarette?
Old 04-16-07, 07:56 AM
CycleMagic
Crazy Like a Daisy

Bikes: Giant OCR-3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds pretty exciting, vega. got me thinking. I probably won't get into this season, but will certainly keep it in mind for the next one. I really did get a kick out of the HMS riding. that was a blast!

....and why am I in this handbasket?
Old 04-16-07, 08:12 AM
VegaVixen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleMagic
sounds pretty exciting, vega. got me thinking. I probably won't get into this season, but will certainly keep it in mind for the next one. I really did get a kick out of the HMS riding. that was a blast!
Too bad. You are faster than I, and could really do well in our age category. I think it's great to have some new blood coming in to challenge those gals who've been sittin' at the top of it.

*twist* Hope you'll reconsider, and do at least one this season, just to know what it's like. */twist*

We could all wear BF or Foo jerseys, and become like a dynasty there.
Old 04-16-07, 08:21 AM
CycleMagic
Crazy Like a Daisy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe....

Old 04-16-07, 01:10 PM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know if the Gashouse Cyclists are riding in the wind tonight?
Old 04-16-07, 03:49 PM
VegaVixen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If they are, they won't see me! I can't afford to crash before I do TT tomrorow night!

Yeah, CM, that's right, girlfriend. Think about it. All the fun we can have huddlin' there, intimidatin' the other gals in our age group, then kickin' some butt. We could be 1-2-3 in the age category, and just switch off. Heh. That would be so cool! Team Foo. :roflamo: This is toooo sweet to pass up. We need to establish Foo dominance.
Old 04-16-07, 04:06 PM
polara426sh
Displaced Southerner

Bikes: 1967 Peugeot UO-8, 1984 Torpado Beta, 1985 Trek 300, 1989 Dave Moulton Fuso FRX, '90s Hardrock x2, '90s Norco Pinnacle, Focus MB-350 IRO SSFGGB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be going if it weren't for my job. I actually almost quit last night. I hate this place.
Old 04-16-07, 04:27 PM
CycleMagic
Crazy Like a Daisy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegaVixen
If they are, they won't see me! I can't afford to crash before I do TT tomrorow night!

Yeah, CM, that's right, girlfriend. Think about it. All the fun we can have huddlin' there, intimidatin' the other gals in our age group, then kickin' some butt. We could be 1-2-3 in the age category, and just switch off. Heh. That would be so cool! Team Foo. :roflamo: This is toooo sweet to pass up. We need to establish Foo dominance.
we'd have to avg. 25 MPH to do that my dear. I've got lots of miles to get in before I can do that for any lenght of time without drafting behind some clydesdale!

Old 04-16-07, 04:36 PM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
25mph ok, no, i won't be able to participate in that group! let's just go show em what us wimmens are made of.
Old 04-16-07, 05:31 PM
VegaVixen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleMagic
we'd have to avg. 25 MPH to do that my dear. I've got lots of miles to get in before I can do that for any lenght of time without drafting behind some clydesdale!
Shhhhh! You're not supposed to say that. That gal is at the top of the category, and only hit 25mph for the first time last season. The other gals are catchable. And, this chickie is movin' to the next age category for next season. Which means we'll have two or three seasons to get our crap together and then take her down!

Yaaayyyyy! Let's hear it for Foo wimmins!

Y'all don't get freaky on me now. We can do this.

polara426sh, baybuh. So sorry you can't make it tomorrow night. Hopefully you'll make the May 2 TT here.
Old 04-16-07, 09:03 PM
thomspins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My race report from the Rock Hill races this past weekend:

The crit Saturday wasn’t too bad, our race (Cat 4) was about 40 minutes long and we averaged about 25-26mph. I had a pack finish ~23rd or so. It was just fast the whole time and I didn’t have enough juice to do much other than hang on in the middle of the pack. The course was excellent and really required good handling skills. I noticed many riders wasting energy due to poor cornering.

The RR Sunday was a completely different world. We raced about 2 hrs. and averaged around 24-25mph for the 45 miles (very hilly miles) ha in the rain. We had a solo break go off the front about 15 miles into the race and the field just let it go and go and the gap get bigger and bigger… so I decided to bridge up to the guy to see if we could work together and stay out. We held out together for about 5 miles and got caught. Fiddled around in the pack for another 20 miles or so and tried to get into a break w/ about 3 other guys on a climb but nothing really stuck. We ended up having a field sprint and I got ~15th or 20th. I figure if I had not have tried the several breakaways I could have had a better sprint. Oh well, maybe next time the break will work.

Charleston is next!!!
Old 04-16-07, 09:30 PM
VegaVixen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey, Thomspins, baybuh! <wavin'>

Nice race report! And nice ridin'! I could learn a lot from you, and am curious about the energy loss on cornering. Is that due to braking, and then having to accelerate again?

Yay! Charleston! Both days, Thomspins? Who else is going, for one or both days?

*raises hand* I'm going to race in the Sunday crit, though I may go down the day before to see the route and get a good night's sleep.
Old 04-17-07, 04:40 AM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hey, Thomspins, baybuh! <wavin'>

Nice race report! And nice ridin'! I could learn a lot from you, and am curious about the energy loss on cornering. Is that due to braking, and then having to accelerate again?

Yay! Charleston! Both days, Thomspins? Who else is going, for one or both days?

*raises hand* I'm going to race in the Sunday crit, though I may go down the day before to see the route and get a good night's sleep.
*half raising hand and looking around to make sure no one sees*

i might try to drive down saturday as that's way to early to get up to drive sunday! it's about 4hr+ from my house and i can't get up that early! i'm still not sure about this one...
Old 04-17-07, 09:02 AM
VegaVixen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfpack
*half raising hand and looking around to make sure no one sees*

i might try to drive down saturday as that's way to early to get up to drive sunday! it's about 4hr+ from my house and i can't get up that early! i'm still not sure about this one...
It's at least four hours for me and Thomspins, too, though I used to be able to drive to Savannah in four hours from Charlotte's center.

Really hope you can make it.

Anyone else? <lookin' around>
Old 04-17-07, 12:01 PM
polara426sh
Displaced Southerner

Bikes: 1967 Peugeot UO-8, 1984 Torpado Beta, 1985 Trek 300, 1989 Dave Moulton Fuso FRX, '90s Hardrock x2, '90s Norco Pinnacle, Focus MB-350 IRO SSFGGB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm off to work. Ride fast tonight, if you don't there will be punishment!
Old 04-17-07, 05:32 PM
VegaVixen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Since I wasn't able to go, I didn't ride, which means I didn't ride fast.

<slinkin' quickly away to hide>
Old 04-17-07, 06:57 PM
warrenl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Did not ride <20 lashes with a wet noodle and no pie for you > .... knee still bothering you? We had a good 18 Mile ride on the roller coaster hills of N Gaston county.
Old 04-17-07, 08:02 PM
3MTA3
★ ★ ★

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you should hide! i drove all the way there & was there lookin' for you!

Old 04-17-07, 08:02 PM
thomspins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's at least four hours for me and Thomspins, too, though I used to be able to drive to Savannah in four hours from Charlotte's center.

Really hope you can make it.

Anyone else? <lookin' around>

Depends on how you drive

You can make it in a hair over 3 hrs. if you drive around 75-80.

Let me know if you go down the day before; i'll prob. be over towards the course Sat. afternoon and would be glad to preride it with anyone and/or give vega a cornering clinic. Just let me know.
Old 04-17-07, 10:56 PM
VegaVixen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by warrenl
Did not ride <20 lashes with a wet noodle and no pie for you > .... knee still bothering you? We had a good 18 Mile ride on the roller coaster hills of N Gaston county.
Right knee feels better, but the left knee has been bothering me a bit today. Probably from kickin' tax documents around the kitchen!

I'm gonna get back out there. I promise! But I wants me some pie.

Originally Posted by 3ATM3
you should hide! i drove all the way there & was there lookin' for you!

<slinkin' away in guilt-riddled shame>

Originally Posted by thomspins
Depends on how you drive

You can make it in a hair over 3 hrs. if you drive around 75-80.

Let me know if you go down the day before; i'll prob. be over towards the course Sat. afternoon and would be glad to preride it with anyone and/or give vega a cornering clinic. Just let me know.
So it is closer than Savannah! I've only been there once, and wasn't driving, so it seemed to take forever.

I'm really thinkin' now that I'm gonna go on Saturday. I could use a cornering clinic, and any other useful strategy/knowledge I can pick up. Thanks, thomspins!
Old 04-18-07, 04:57 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vega,
What's going on girl? You ain't making it out much. I'm worried about you.

Is it really the knees or is it something you aren't telling us - your friends - friends who will listen - friends who will support you - friends who will talk about you behind your back

Hang in there. See you one Monday night.
Old 04-18-07, 09:51 AM
rha600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone. I just needed to poke my head in here and ask a quick question. I am currently in Florida (flattest land ever) and might be moving up there to Charlotte at the end of the year. one thing I was wondering is if I should swap out my double and put a triple on my bike for the "mountains". I've been trying to read up on when I'd need a triple and so far it seems that I won't but I'm still pretty much a n00b so I wanted to get your opinions.

Oh, and just recreational riding. no racing.
Old 04-18-07, 11:07 AM
CycleMagic
Crazy Like a Daisy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey, rha...the "real" charlotte riders should correct me if I'm wrong here, but you will probably survive on the double once you get used to the terrain. The further north, north-west you go, then the steeper the climbs and the more you will want that granny gear. hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.