Old 09-17-10, 08:52 PM
century0fakers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PNW affordable rain gear

Hi guys,

I was wondering what advice you have for winter/spring rain gear. I've a jacket from performance, but was wondering where I would get the best use of my dollar. For instance, goretex socks? shoe covers? leggins? Scotchguard? Do you have any inexpensive ideas?

In the spring, when I first started riding I got caught in the rain and my wool socks turned to sponges. It was pretty awful. But not as awful as doing Tour de Blast in the rain in this past June. I stuck with the biking so some good rain gear would be a nice reward.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-10, 09:31 PM
Cyclist00976

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How often will you ride in the rain?
When you do ride in the rain, how long will the ride be?
What is your total budget?

There are a number of great options depending on the answers to those questions.
Old 09-19-10, 12:05 AM
FlowerBlossom
My tank takes chocolate.

Bikes: Trek 600 series touring bike, Trek 800 hybrid, Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ I agree; specifics would be useful. Plus, I am of the type to spend extra on the rain gear and forego beer/coffee/etc in exchange. Shoot, my first serious commuting jacket cost me less than $20/year. I still have it, I use it as back up now.

Fenders will rock your world; more so than rain pants.

I commute to work in a Showers Pass rain jacket, layers underneath depending on temp; tights; and neoprene booties but not rain pants unless it is raining buckets and I'm on my way to work. On the way home from work, meh, I don't bother so much because I know I'm going home where I have all the comforts I need to recover. Besides, there's that part of me that gets a kick out of being caught in a rainstorm.
Old 09-19-10, 09:33 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
As noted above, would be helpful to know where you are starting out.

I'd say the single most important thing is fenders -- because even when it's not raining here, the roads are wet all fall and winter, and your feet will get soaked if you don't have fenders.

For me, I am pretty comfortable riding if I can keep my head, hands, upper body and feet dry:
- Head: rain cover over helmet
- Hands: waterproof gloves, like ski gloves
- Upper body: Showers Pass jackets are the best, IMHO, but other jackets will do
- Feet: shoe covers or even water proof shoes/boots

I don't focus so much on keeping my legs dry; they don't seem to get that wet. In summer rain, I just wear shorts; in the fall I have non-insulated tights; as it gets colder I put on layers to stay warm. I do have some waterproof "rain pants," but I don't really like riding in them. I save them for riding in real downpours.
Old 09-19-10, 01:29 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Novara rain pants = $45
Showers Pass touring jacket = $150
Gore booties = $75
REI rain shell mountaineering gloves = $25
Helmet cover = $20

The jacket and the booties are on the pricey side, but don't skimp out on either one or you'll pay for it in the long run. The SP Touring jacket will more than pay for itself over the life of the garment. I've used mine for commuting and randonneuring; I've slept on sidewalks and gravel in this jacket and it doesn't look any worse for wear.
The booties are the same way; aramid fiber woven into the soles for wear resistance. Excellent stitching. Great wind/waterproofing.
Old 09-19-10, 02:15 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are some inexpensive solutions, but I would't use them myself. I've seen people use plastic baggies over their socks and they were happy with the waterproof capabilities of this setup. Like others, I use a showers pass jacket, but use Winter boots (specialized Defrosters) instead of shoe covers. They are more expensive, but I like them more than covers. For pants, I use some REI Novara wind proof pants. They aren't water proof, but block the wind and keep my legs warm. I also use their Novara wind proof gloves. I don't use a helmet cover but opted for the Showers Pass detachable hood. Works pretty well.

Check out the Winter cycling forums for more ideas to help find inexpensive solutions.
Old 09-19-10, 08:31 PM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Novara rain pants = $45
Showers Pass touring jacket = $150
Gore booties = $75
REI rain shell mountaineering gloves = $25
Helmet cover = $20
I use the Showers Pass booties which are about $40. Not as fancy, but they've worked well.
For gloves I just use a thin polyester liner with wool gloves over when it's cold. I just keep a second pair of wool gloves at work and switch for the ride home.
Instead of the helmet cover I use the Showers Pass hood. It's $20 also and covers the back of your neck.
Old 09-19-10, 08:43 PM
jgadamski

Bikes: e-bike and a steel framed roadie

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rain poncho from Campmor $29
a pair of lightly insulated warm up pants from Salvation Army, sprayed with water repel. $10 total.
Shoe covers I haven't found the perfect ones, but the showers pass ones are the best so far. Its hard to find real shoe covers other than specifically looking for bike ones, and as noted, plastic bags dont really cut it.
Gloves, mittens.. I would rather buy many pairs of cheap polar fleeces liners with an uninsulated mitten for really inclement weather. I dont find gloves provide much benefit in a severe rainstorm as they quickly soak and become worthless. Light ski mittens seem the best for me, ones with no or little insulation. You can then add as many layers of gloves as needed to keep them fingers warm. I have never had any problem shifting/braking,etc.
by all means, good fenders.
making a pair of 'dog ears' for your helmet helps too. ( insulated fabric panels kept in place on the helmet straps that create a triangle over your ears) using velcro to affix them in place.
Old 09-19-10, 10:57 PM
Forza
Con forza e velocità

Bikes: Spesh S-Works - Tarmac SL4, Spesh S-Works Venge, BMC Team Machine SLR01, Spesh Allez - FrankenForza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm not a heavy commuter...only once/twice per week.

My gear...mostly performance/sport oriented.

Castelli Goccia jacket: $100 (I'll layer under when needed)
Castelli pioggia shoe covers: $65
Gloves: Assos Early Winter Gloves: $104
For my head, I just wear a Halo under the lid: $20
Old 09-20-10, 08:15 AM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I buy whatever is on sale; right now it is a Novara coat and pants. No booties they are expensive and as an everyday year round commuter I have never had them last longer than a season. I have 3 solutions for the feet first fenders. Second Smart wool or merlino wool socks they keep your feet warm if they get wet and they are not as soggy as other wool socks and for those heavy winter days Sealskins waterproof socks. As far as layers that does depend on how far or how long you are in it. I prefer leg warmers more that tights since around here it can be cold in the AM and warm in the PM.
Old 09-24-10, 07:33 AM
ChrisO
of Clan Nrubso

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Surly LHT,Motobecane Le Champion Ti, Novara Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the hands, thin wool or microfleece glove liners and rubber dishwashing gloves. Keeps out the wind and rain 100%. It's ghetto, but I use this combo and it works great; cheap too!
Old 09-24-10, 07:54 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Full fenders + home made mudflaps + a rain poncho have kept me drier than I thought possible in the rain. I like ponchos because they seem to give me a bit of air circulation, but that's becoming less of a concern as winter approaches.
Old 09-24-10, 10:57 PM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 127 Posts
I'm a 1 - 3 hour rider usually. I can handle rain for that long if I have on tights or knickers, t-shirt, wool jersey (long or short depending on temp), rain jacket or vest(again depending on temp), cap, fleece gloves, adidas sambas milleniums (thick socks if cold),and fenders (always). I ride all year long and it works for me but if you are an all day rider you'll want to make some changes.
Old 09-27-10, 05:51 PM
Diolopez

Bikes: Bianchi Ducati 900 XR. 14.72 pounds as it sits.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used these before on a 20 mile ride when my wife was running. I also use them at work and on the motorcycle. They breath and are 100% waterproof. I bought mine at cycle gear. I work outside most the time and these things are the best light weight jacket/pant combo. Very strong and reliable so far.
https://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...T1032-013X4X_G
Old 10-01-10, 06:42 PM
LoCPC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fenders are almost a must in this area. I have some Planet Bike ones on this Giant TCX that stay on year round.

Also, gear from Bike Gore Wear keeps me dry from head to toe:

Alp X II Gore-tex Paclite shell
Windstopper gloves (XL, L was too tight)
Race Power Gore-tex shoe covers
Gore-tex helmet cover

During the colder months of December - March, I wear Nashbar's Winter Gloves. Kept my fingers toasty warm and dry, for the most part. I use the Windstopper gloves for temps above 40 degrees.
Old 10-01-10, 07:43 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
For sport/training rides last year, I covered my cycling shoes with duct tape over a layer of bubble wrap. When it rained, I would just put plastic bags over my socks. My feet stayed warm and reasonably dry all fall and winter. I left the bubble wrap on when I rode to CA in March. I cut it off when I reached the Napa Valley since it had finally warmed up.

I had pretty good luck with neoprene diving gloves. (Until I ripped a seam. Now I need to learn to repair them.) They keep the fingers working down to about 38F. Below that, I cover them with a waterproof mitten. If it gets into the teens, I put a chemical handwarmer in each glove. For commuting I use a cheap ($55) Chinese-made ANSI class 3 gore-tex flagging jacket that I picked up at an industrial safety store. It's a bit heavy and thick for high output rides, but is great for tootling around town when temps are in the low forties or lower.

Like others have said, good, long fenders are a must. Most roadways are not designed to keep the right-hand portion (where we are mostly riding) drained, so you will be riding on one-half to two inches of water much of the time. Without fenders and a mud flap of some sort you will inevitably hit a puddle that will fill your shoes as though you had a hose running in them. I also think you are more visible without the rooster tail shooting off the back wheel.