Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding after the Big Snip

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Riding after the Big Snip

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 08:24 AM
Snapperhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two weeks.
Old 02-15-11, 08:32 AM
zerotopanmass

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pmt
Not sure what hack doctors you guys went to, but I had mine done in 2009 and was on the bike less than 24 hrs later for the usual morning ride. Sure, it was a little sore on the bumps, but bib tights held everything together nicely. No slowdowns or problems.
This is amazing to me, 24 hours after the surgery if I even picked up a cup of tea wrong it felt like a swift kick in the knackers. For about 3 days after I had a bad case of what I'll call "vasectomy tourettes", one false move and I'd launch into a manic rant that would make a sailor blush.
Old 02-15-11, 08:37 AM
pmt
Experienced

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zerotopanmass
This is amazing to me, 24 hours after the surgery if I even picked up a cup of tea wrong it felt like a swift kick in the knackers. For about 3 days after I had a bad case of what I'll call "vasectomy tourettes", one false move and I'd launch into a manic rant that would make a sailor blush.
Do you know what method you got? The latest and most modern is the "No Scalpel" kind, where they just use a pointy hemostat to poke a little hole, grab the tube to pull it out, then cut it and cauterize the ends and then drop it back in. The doctor can reach both sides from the one little hole, and you don't even get a stitch, just a bandaid.
Old 02-15-11, 08:45 AM
zerotopanmass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pmt
Do you know what method you got? The latest and most modern is the "No Scalpel" kind, where they just use a pointy hemostat to poke a little hole, grab the tube to pull it out, then cut it and cauterize the ends and then drop it back in. The doctor can reach both sides from the one little hole, and you don't even get a stitch, just a bandaid.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I had an NSV ( I wound up with 2 holes though, not sure why ).
Old 02-15-11, 08:59 AM
midgetmaestro 

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
youch. I guess we shouldn't ask for a ride report any time soon eh?
Old 02-15-11, 09:03 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been putting off having this done do to 'worse case' possiblities. This thread has not helped. Holy Moly, pain for six months!?! Maybe I'll just wait until I get hurt some other way, bike crash.. whatever. Then I'll get it done.
Old 02-15-11, 09:45 AM
pmt
Experienced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerOne
I've been putting off having this done do to 'worse case' possiblities. This thread has not helped. Holy Moly, pain for six months!?! Maybe I'll just wait until I get hurt some other way, bike crash.. whatever. Then I'll get it done.
Just see a competent urologist who's been doing No Scalpel for many years with zero comebacks. You'll be back on the bike the next day like I was.
Old 02-15-11, 10:08 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerOne
6 months is rare and a worst case scenario. Sounds like a lot of people in this thread have said 2 weeks before riding. that is consistent with my experience. The operation itself was no big deal. The shots to numb were the worst part - stayed numb the rest of the day. Day 2-5, it felt like the residual soreness after a good kick to the crotch. After the first week things were fine - just occasional soreness. By the end of week 2, its like nothing ever happened.

A few days of soreness were totally worth it. It beats the heck out of other methods.
Old 02-15-11, 10:41 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just had this last Thursday, for anyone interested I blogged about it here:

https://zerotopanmass.wordpress.com/

It didn't disappoint in the pain-department, I can honestly say I've never felt anything quite like it. And that's not a good thing.

Question for those fellow members of the Broken Arrow Club, how long before you got back in the saddle? ( Talking about bikes, not women. ) I'm starting to feel human again 4 days after, but don't want to go busting anything...
You would think as a doctor I would know better, but I did just about every single thing wrong you can think of. AND I KNEW BETTER THE ENTIRE TIME!!! As a result, got a mild infection, extra swelling, pain, hematoma, and prolonged recovery that could have very easily been avoided. Despite all that, I was back on the bike about 2 weeks later. Could have been a couple of days sooner, but fear (not pain) "talked me" into taking a couple of extra days.

Even if you have swelling and pain for different reasons, the position you have on the bike and the way your legs are slightly separated, it gives you no pain per say to sit and pedal. Walking, especially without any support (free balling it for those that need translation), is really what gives you the most pain if you are going to have any.

Your experiences will vary tremendously. However, I would do it again in a heart beat knowing what I know. I'll never understand the people that would rather have their wives go through a tubal ligation (and all the real potential risks involved) or worst yet risk having another unwanted pregnancy. It is beyond me, but I guess it happens.

For those in fear of the procedure, let me tell you that you should be more afraid of a car hitting you or falling off your bike at 25 MPH than you should from getting this done. Put things in perspective!!

Last edited by dgasmd; 02-15-11 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-15-11, 10:43 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22614 Post(s)
Liked 8,935 Times in 4,164 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I had an NSV ( I wound up with 2 holes though, not sure why ).
Yes 2 holes.

NSV is one hole for each side.

The only part I didn't like was the lidocaine injection - that hurt like hell for 2 seconds.
Old 02-15-11, 11:10 AM
pmt
Experienced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Yes 2 holes.

NSV is one hole for each side.

The only part I didn't like was the lidocaine injection - that hurt like hell for 2 seconds.
Not mine. I only had one little hole, and the injection was just a little pinch. I guess not all urologists are trained for the newest method.

If you haven't had it done yet, it may be worth it to you to travel to Baltimore if your local doctor does it the old way.
Old 02-15-11, 11:19 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by rkelley23
I could never imagine doing such a thing to myself
I couldn't either, but it's amazing what being in love will make you do. Seriously, if you know you don't want kids (or more kids) it's a smaller operation on you than her.
It may be an odd thing to say, considering the snip-age factor, but "Man up,"
Old 02-15-11, 12:30 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Oh shoot....I've been thinking about this for years and yeah, the horror stories have so far outweighed the desire to lay on the table. Maybe I'll just wait for my wife to hit menopause!
Old 02-15-11, 12:33 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It's selection bias. Most guys who've had no problems or soreness aren't going to run around saying "Yay! I loved my vasectomy!"
Old 02-15-11, 01:20 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
It's selection bias. Most guys who've had no problems or soreness aren't going to run around saying "Yay! I loved my vasectomy!"
so true.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-15-11, 03:08 PM
zerotopanmass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
Oh shoot....I've been thinking about this for years and yeah, the horror stories have so far outweighed the desire to lay on the table. Maybe I'll just wait for my wife to hit menopause!
I wouldn't think like that. Yeah it hurt, yeah it sucked, but I'd do it again. For me it was an hour of discomfort worse than anything I've felt before, followed by about 3 days of pretty nasty discomfort and "vasectomy tourettes". I'm on my 5th day after the surgery now and I'm almost feeling back to normal again. In the grand scheme of things it ain't that bad. I heard a lot of people get Valium before the surgery, that might have helped - I'd recommend asking for that.
Old 02-15-11, 03:31 PM
mazdatech10
master auto tech

Bikes: ,system six ss, , caad9 cross, supersix evo hm, giant omiuim

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just had this last Thursday, for anyone interested I blogged about it here:

https://zerotopanmass.wordpress.com/

It didn't disappoint in the pain-department, I can honestly say I've never felt anything quite like it. And that's not a good thing.

Question for those fellow members of the Broken Arrow Club, how long before you got back in the saddle? ( Talking about bikes, not women. ) I'm starting to feel human again 4 days after, but don't want to go busting anything...
was done on a thursday, changed a flat tire 2hrs later and did a mt. bike ride on sunday and back to work monday. and had sex on wed. don't know why some people wait so long. i think its has to do with what the doctor did down there ( or how rough he or she was )
Old 02-15-11, 06:40 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I was VERY tender for a couple of months. But I'm told that I'm a big wussy...
Old 02-15-11, 08:36 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
to the feller who wants to wait for his wife to have menopause----has your wife delivered children? Were you there?
If the answer is yes, well, then I guess I cant make you see otherwise, its all about you.
Old 02-15-11, 08:54 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just take is slowly man, the quality of life afterwards depends on the quality of your recovery now, as others have mentioned above.
Old 02-15-11, 09:15 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *breathe* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

effing ow. I guess I can imagine the pain to a degree after getting a hernia repair in the area. Worst thing about it was that I had a cold. My roommates thought my sneezes followed up by a loud scream were pretty hysterical.
Old 02-15-11, 10:00 PM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it really wasn't that big of a deal. bit of pain during the injection, which subsided almost immediately. the residual soreness was nothing. i had the old school version with an incision and stitches. nothing to worry about. i was much happier to go through this than to have my wife go through the equivalent.
Old 02-15-11, 11:37 PM
Falcon701

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was back on the bike in about 2 weeks. Slight ache in the boys for about 48 hrs, but nothing I couldn't live with. It may depend on the proceedure used and the quality of your doctor. If he comes at you with a flint rock and leecehs, he may be out of practice...just sayin.
Old 02-16-11, 08:18 AM
petiegolfer

Bikes: Orange P7, Principia Evolution(build in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its just a snip

I had the nick draw and cut with the hot knife stuff it back type of op. Friday op discomfort over the weekend probably did a bit much on the first day sore Sun and Mon better by thursday ran the next Tue.

I have three children and the Mrs had three sections and as a result of pregnancy gall stones and keyhole op for that. A permenant solution to contraception was always going to be my issue!

Took me 5 years to pluck up the courage, I never go to the doctor so, I book an appointment to discuss the proceedure and have it with a locum doctor...she only turns out to be young and good looking

With no chance of having an accidental 4th I can honestly say that our sex life has flourished since the op!

Piers
Old 02-16-11, 08:35 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by eippo1
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *breathe* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

effing ow. I guess I can imagine the pain to a degree after getting a hernia repair in the area. Worst thing about it was that I had a cold. My roommates thought my sneezes followed up by a loud scream were pretty hysterical.
This was not the most painful thing I've endured. I think for many people its just the mental thing about WHERE the pain is. The rather minor crash on my bike last summer that left me with a bruised or broken rib was a worse recovery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.