Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

How long does an HRM last?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-23, 01:19 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts

My heart rate monitor died last week. Apparently I rode 23 miles without my heart beating -- how are the keto advocates going to top that?!

Ahem, back on topic. This HRM was 2-3 years old, and I had one to replace it at home. Wahoo head wouldn't work on either the old strap or one used once and then replaced with extra-long strap. I've had similar lifetimes with Garmin straps. Either one or two new batteries, and roughly one year intervals, and the unit dies. So I'm curious; is my experience typical, or do my HRM last significantly longer or shorter than yours?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-18-23, 01:55 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
3ish years from my typical use. That's the "arm" strap kind. Chest style one started to go flatline 2ish years. The sweat causes them to poop out. Try using electronic spray cleaner? If it doesnt work, it isn't a like you'll reruin it.
Old 07-18-23, 02:03 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
I've had a mixed bag of experiences, and don't really know what makes the difference to longevity, although my own limited sample group might point to older tech being more durable than newer tech.

I've had a Wahoo unit conk out after 3 or 4 years, but use old Cycleops units at my training studio that are easily 10 years old. I had a 4iiii unit that lasted about 4 years.
Old 07-18-23, 02:15 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
I'm on my second Wahoo chest strap HRM in the last 3+ years. First one lasted about 2 years.
Old 07-18-23, 03:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Depends on you. Most all my Garmin soft straps have lasted at least 5 years. The pod itself lasts longer and Garmin does sell just the strap. However while I've had what I think is real good life from the Garmin straps, others don't. So YMMV.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-18-23, 04:10 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I bought several Sports Instruments brand HRMs after the company went defunct, every one of the chest straps is still working great, that said the last of the watch (receiver) units died in 2016. See photo. The receiver was not even close to waterproof. I liked the features in them but they all died. But, the chest straps live on.

I bought a few Sigma ID.GO units to replace the ones that died, expecting that I would not get much life out of them, but they are still working great. I have one in my gym bag, and on different four bikes, for a total of five Sigma HRMs, all have continued to work, but I am starting to have to replace the 2032 batteries in them.
https://more.sigmasport.com/en/produ...d-series/id-go

I had one mounted on my bike for a five week tour in Canadian Maritimes in 2019, I left it on the bike all the time and it rained a lot. And it stayed functioning, still works. It is on the far left of my "dashboard" below, heart rate at 87 so I was not working very hard at the time of the photo. I think the single button makes it more waterproof, less places for leakage. I used an old Sports Instruments watch to handlebar adapter, so no, the Sigma does not come with that kind of mount for your bike, it is a wrist watch style.

I did a google search to find the link above, and when I did that search, I found that Bike Inn has a very good price right now. Bike Inn is in Europe, and they have very slow shipping. I have bought stuff from them in the past, I think they are the slowest shippers of everyone in Europe. I have never gotten anything from them by the time it was supposed to get here, but it always eventually made it.
https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/...ch/136431995/p

I am still using my old Sports Instrument chest straps with the Sigma, have not used the Sigma straps yet. The signal is an older type, not ANT, not bluetooth. Decades ago the HRMs all used the same signal so if you were too close to someone else that had an HRM, they could pick up your signal. That is the signal that the chest straps sends to the receiver. Not a problem for me, but I mention it because most newer chest straps will not work with it.
Old 07-22-23, 01:45 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I put 20k miles on original Garmin strap. A couple of years ago, I purchased the newer model. Wondering what is failing after a couple of years on these..... Perhaps I've just been lucky.
Old 07-23-23, 01:32 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My basic Wahoo Tickr just turned 5 years old, still works fine. I've replaced straps a couple of times. Wahoo strap was pricey so I've been using some generic strap off Amazon that works great, other than the flimsy plastic bra-strap buckle that broke quickly. I just zip tied the buckle together and step into the strap or pull it over my head like a t-shirt. No problems for two or three years. I have to clean the strap at least once a month due to accumulated dried sweat salt. Depends on how much electrolyte stuff I drink.

I've probably replaced the battery once a year.

The Tickr is compatible with Bluetooth and ANT+. My XOSS G+ computer defaults to ANT+, phone is Bluetooth only, so I can log activities to both the computer and my phone, which is handy for the rare occasions when one or the other fails to log properly. I also have a 2012 era Wahoo Fitness kit for iPhone 4s, which added an ANT+ module in a phone protective case with extra battery for prolonged runtime. Handy in its era. I still use the ANT+ speed/cadence sensors from those kits because they're so reliable and need battery swaps only every 2-3 years even with regular use.

One trick to longevity may be ensuring the HRM module is clean of sweat and skin oil before opening it for battery changes. And be sure the seal is properly aligned to exclude sweat.
Old 07-23-23, 05:55 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
They last from 4 weeks to 4 years depending on the make, model, and whether the strap is flexible or solid.
Old 07-24-23, 09:05 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I'd say about four to five years, depending on frequency of use, how much you sweat, and how careful you are with replacing the battery.
Old 08-09-23, 08:25 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I'm still using a Wahoo Tickr I bought 5 years ago to replace the Garmin I had that lasted 5 years as well. I just want my heart to keep going, never mind the monitor.
Old 08-10-23, 08:11 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
What signs do you see of failure? Mine doesn't outright fail, but I get some weird HR reported. I'm trying to figure out if I should go to Amazon or a cardiologist.
Old 08-10-23, 09:52 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
My Garmin HRM was purchased in 2011, started using it with a Forerunner 305 I think (big clunky watch).

I'm on the 3rd strap for it and had to do some searching to find a replacement the last time so I bought a few just in case.

I'm on either the 2nd or third dollar-store replacement battery.
Old 08-10-23, 11:08 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Garmin HRMs for me. The straps die long before the pod does. I had one that started getting wonky, so I replaced it. Only after I'd bought the replacement did I realize the first one was fine, it was just the strap, but I used the opportunity to upgrade from ANT+ only to ANT+/BLU. Had one strap fail on the new one a couple years back, so I bought 3 replacements that I cycle between and haven't had an issue since. Spent a lot of money on those straps though.

Old 08-14-23, 05:49 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by tntyz
What signs do you see of failure? Mine doesn't outright fail, but I get some weird HR reported. I'm trying to figure out if I should go to Amazon or a cardiologist.
Change the battery first. Clean off the contacts inside the unit before you put in the new battery.

I get weird readings before the battery is dead.
Old 08-24-23, 07:42 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tntyz
I finally figured out that my HRM wasn't shutting off when I unsnapped it from the strap, so I was going through batteries at warp speed. I now pop open the battery cover after each ride.
Old 08-25-23, 12:24 PM
Velometry

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pdlamb
My heart rate monitor died last week. Apparently I rode 23 miles without my heart beating -- how are the keto advocates going to top that?!

Ahem, back on topic. This HRM was 2-3 years old, and I had one to replace it at home. Wahoo head wouldn't work on either the old strap or one used once and then replaced with extra-long strap. I've had similar lifetimes with Garmin straps. Either one or two new batteries, and roughly one year intervals, and the unit dies. So I'm curious; is my experience typical, or do my HRM last significantly longer or shorter than yours?
I had a Wahoo HRM go bad on me I looked on YOU TUBE and found a guy that showed how to take it apart . Apparently there are springs inside that corrode from sweat. I used a bottle cap filled with evaporust and let it sit a few hours cleaned both springs reassembled and the HRM lasted two more years . I fact just bit the dust this June. Meanwhile I ordered a replacement from ebay sight. But the repair worked well. I would do it again in a heartbeat.....no pun intended LOL Good luck.
Old 08-26-23, 08:44 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
I've only used Garmin and Polar HRMs. The Garmin straps last a very long time, at least 10 years. My Garmin transmitters used to fail only because the screws failed after a few battery changes. I see that the new Garmin screws are Allyn so that should take care of that problem and they're also dual, both Bluetooth and ANT+. Polar transmitters have a much easier battery change but they do seem to wear out over many years. Some Polar devices will only be full-function with Polar transmitters. I obviously take the transmitters off to wash the strap, but then I put the transmitter back on for storage. I don't know if that reduces battery life though some say it does.