Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I have never ridden a high end road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I have never ridden a high end road bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-23, 09:55 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Oh! Also, I'm not surprised the difference was that much - the Endurace was set up much more upright than the Aeroad, and there was a flat stretch and what looked like a non-technical downhill, places where the "Aero" part of "Aeroad" would shine. But you know, some of that could even be as simple as hubs. I've found that hubs that I've adjusted carefully to JUST the point of no play are significantly faster down the same hill than some others that can't be adjusted.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-04-23, 10:01 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I agree it makes more sense to compare 2 bikes of the same type at different price points. I would expect a base level Aeroad to be faster than a top tier Endurace over a short average route. But I would expect the Endurace to be more comfortable on a long ride over patchy mixed roads. I bet nearly all of that 37 sec was due to a more aggressive riding position and the more aero bike design, rather than the cost difference in components. A base level Aeroad would probably be only a few seconds slower than their top tier version.

But of course you could argue that all these bikes are high-end compared to whatever bikes the OP has been riding. We have no frame of reference.

Edit: Sorry, just noticed that the OP did mention his current bike, but I'm not familiar with that model.
Well, I think part of using an Endurace vs an Aeroad was to compare a bike someone just getting into more serious riding might get, that does everything they NEED it to do, versus the bike they dream of - I know I do! Aeroad CFR covered in all that 12sp, electronic shifting, Dura Ace goodness? The stuff that dreams are made of! Only dreams in my case, though, because I can't do much more than a 10cm saddle-bar drop at 65 y.o. At least not for more than 30-40 miles.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-04-23, 10:57 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
High end bikes are pretty tempting but I ride with a couple guys who have pretty nice bikes and I'm not sure I'm mature enough to show up for the group ride with the most expensive bike and the cheapest legs. I need the excuse when they drop me.
Likes For RChung:
Old 09-04-23, 11:39 AM
Spandex_fairy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Yeah it depends how far down the rabbit hole the OP actually went. The law of diminishing returns falls off a cliff with bicycles pretty much at around $2400 😂 I draw the line at about twice that value with a second tier group set (SRAM Force AXS), second tier carbon wheels (DT Swiss ERC 1400) and second tier carbon frame (SL about 200g heavier than the top level SLR version at the time). My spare bike has third tier components (Shimano 105 etc) and is just as fun/fast to ride.
This will run you closer to $5k; ask me how I know. I'd say that the laws of diminishing returns kicks in around this price point. Once you achieve carbon everything (frame, wheels, seat, bars, stem) and a shimano 105 and up groupset, I'd say you're 90% of the way there. Although, nowadays an electronic groupset would be considered a necessary component to a superbike.
Old 09-04-23, 01:13 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
I've never owned a high end road bike either, I don't see myself buying one either especially with other life expenses. Though I do like to tinker and learn new skills. I've assembled my own road and gravel bikes with components scoured from yearly sales and bargain bin finds. There are endless free resources and YT videos on bike building, tuning and installation. It's up to you if you want to go down that rabbit hole though! There's quite a bit of trial and error involved, but it's similar to being a car guy, but on a much cheaper scale! Lol
Old 09-04-23, 01:24 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
...I have never ridden a high end road bike...
Yep... And even more today. If someone offered to let me ride their fancy new stead I am sure I would pass.
Old 09-04-23, 01:27 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Please define what a high end road bike it exactly? I have a 2023 Habanero Ti Disk bike I got in April with R7000. I paid $3100 for the bike and much better deal than any CF "big name" bike sold at the LBS. To me I could easily speed twice that on a Trek and it might be lighter but not a huge amount. The titanium will outlast CF and I cannot imagine I could ride faster or more comfortably speeding any more money. So is my bike a high-end road bike or middle of the pack? The Habanero rim brake bike I also have rides equally as good, and I believe it cost about $2800 6 years ago with 6800 Shimano.
Old 09-04-23, 01:29 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
As others have said, you have already won!
I too have difficulty justifying the most recent high-end bikes. I go after the older high-end bikes.
Most are top of the line for the day.
One of the best looking ones is a 1988 De Rosa Professional with newer Campagnolo 10 speed group
De Rosa in Riding configuraton on Flickr

To experience the near top end in 1971 is a Bianchi
71BianchiDone14 , on Flickr

For 1983 there is the Colnago
1983 Colnago Superissimo on Flickr

For 1991 there is the Pinarello Montello with Patina and Racing T for the hills
1991 Pinarello Montello - 9v Racing T on Flickr

I have spent less than $1500 on any one of them with most below $1k. I do my own work. The Bianchi is the most recent and like the De Rosa, built up from the frame and fork.

So, it is not too late to experience what you think you might have missed.
Old 09-04-23, 02:10 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by I
High end bikes are pretty tempting but I ride with a couple guys who have pretty nice bikes and I'm not sure I'm mature enough to show up for the group ride with the most expensive bike and the cheapest legs. I need the excuse when they drop me.

― Bruce Lee
Old 09-04-23, 02:12 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Well, I think part of using an Endurace vs an Aeroad was to compare a bike someone just getting into more serious riding might get, that does everything they NEED it to do, versus the bike they dream of - I know I do! Aeroad CFR covered in all that 12sp, electronic shifting, Dura Ace goodness? The stuff that dreams are made of! Only dreams in my case, though, because I can't do much more than a 10cm saddle-bar drop at 65 y.o. At least not for more than 30-40 miles.
It’s all horses for courses. I ride a fairly high end Canyon Endurace because it’s the best type of bike for the riding I do. Comparing it to an Aeroad is not particularly useful when considering the question of low vs high-end build. To me they are significantly different bikes. If I was riding shorter, flatter routes on good roads I would probably have chosen the equivalent level Aeroad ie second tier version. The Aeroad was faster in their short test as you would expect of an aero race bike vs an endurance bike, regardless of the cost difference.

When comparing low vs high end it only really makes sense to compare bikes of the same type in their intended use case.
Old 09-04-23, 02:28 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I've enjoyed reading them alk. I think I will elaborate a bit.

​​​​​My upbringing was such that I was taught to be content. As such, with the exception of my audio equipment phase while in my 20s, I always based my purchases on need.

I have always loved cycling but have never had a desire to race or be the club ride sprint champ...u just loved riding and, to this day, I ride solo (I have never enjoyed group rides).

So.....I have always stuck to what my needs told me I could afford and, now, my current bike (a 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp) is the hughest end bike I've ever owned.

For the type of riding I do, I am not particularly interested in disc brakes, electronic shifting, aero everything, etc.

What does concern me is the industry moving away from the relative simplicity of previous generation tech although, at 62, I probably need not worry, with the used market being what it is.

I am the same way with my photography. I see no reason to lay out $4 or $5000 the newest fear when my current 11 year old kit more than gets the job done.

― Bruce Lee
Likes For baj32161:
Old 09-04-23, 03:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

It’s all horses for courses. I ride a fairly high end Canyon Endurace because it’s the best type of bike for the riding I do. Comparing it to an Aeroad is not particularly useful when considering the question of low vs high-end build. To me they are significantly different bikes. If I was riding shorter, flatter routes on good roads I would probably have chosen the equivalent level Aeroad ie second tier version. The Aeroad was faster in their short test as you would expect of an aero race bike vs an endurance bike, regardless of the cost difference.

When comparing low vs high end it only really makes sense to compare bikes of the same type in their intended use case.
Counterpoint:

I think the comparison as it was done makes a lot of sense, given the premise: The bike you NEED vs the bike you WANT. The Bike You Need does everything you need it to do, acceptably well. A recreational cyclist can put thousands of miles a year on a bike like that, comfortably and safely. An endurance bike like the Endurace is perfect for that.

The Bike You Want doesn't have to be the same type of bike, because it's not about practicality. It's about desire. Maybe you desire something racier? I find myself much more drawn to the Aeroad CFR, or the Ultimate CFR than I am to the Endurace CFR, even knowing that the Endurace would fit me, my age and flexibility, and my riding style more than either of the other two. Desire is not rational, so The Bike You Want can be anything.

Old 09-04-23, 03:32 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
When I get to the Pearly Gates, and St Pete asks me "Did you tell all these people all those bikes, wheels, and high end parts will make them faster?" I will look him straight in the eye and respond "Yes, but I never said how much faster" and quickly crash the gate...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 09-04-23, 03:43 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
No.

I have a mid tier engine. A mid tier body with mid tier aerodynamics…

Diminishing returns. My aluminum 105 equipped bikes with my engine and my aero get me 18-20 on the flats. Completely reliable, not expensive to replace wear items…

I could spend an 5k and go what, 18.2-20.2?
Likes For Jughed:
Old 09-04-23, 04:16 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
From a self-fit mid-tier bike, the biggest ride quality improvements will come from tweaking bike fit, and tires. Possibly saddle.

Put another way, a great fitting mid-tier bike will provide a better ride experience than an not-quite-right fitted high end bike.

For tires, there's a sweet spot between mushy and harsh that's sheer joy. Exact where that is, is affected by your weight and road conditions.

Last edited by downtube42; 09-04-23 at 09:20 PM. Reason: t
Likes For downtube42:
Old 09-04-23, 04:53 PM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Bikes: Specialized Crux, Winspace SLC 2.0, Giant TCR Alliance

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts
I would actually say that, given your circumstances, it won't make your life that much better. :-)

Now, that being said, if you get a chance to borrow a high-end bike from a friend and give it a whirl, you might have a lot fun. And you get to do so without the commitment of shelling out $5000+ (or whatever $$$ you consider high-end).

I somewhat see getting a high-end bike like an expensive trip to a nice resort in a foreign country. You need not make a habit of it (i.e. buying a new $$$ bike every 1-2 years), but it's nice and totally valid to treat yourself every once and a while, particularly when you reach that age. You may not have the disposable income for it, but if you do or are willing to save up for it, it could be worth the money if it brings you value to your life.

People spend their money on all kinds of things, and spending a bunch of money on an expensive bike is as good a hobby as any so long as it brings value to your life. It may not be for you to spend that kind of money on a bike, and that's totally fine, but it's not the worst thing you could spend that money on.

Like scratch-off lottery tickets or something.
Likes For sir_crash_alot:
Old 09-04-23, 05:12 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
My first 10-speed was a Gitane with hi-ten steel and steel rimmed-wheels. After riding it for several years, I upgraded to a used bike with 3 straight gauge Reynolds 531 tubes and sew-up rims (which I promptly replaced with home-built clincher rims). Big upgrade. That bike was stolen in 1981. At that point, high-end was a frame with full double-butted 531, Columbus, Tange, or Ishiwata steel, clincher wheels, Campy Nuovo/Super Record or maybe Suntour Superbe/Cyclone or maybe the new Shimano with pretensions. Someone traded in a full 531 frame to my local LBS, and I bought it and a bunch of used parts Including used Suntour ders and SR Campy-copy crank) for $100, built new wheels with new Avocet hubs, and bought a new Avocet seat and headset.

That was sort of a high-end bike for the time. Camy hubs, ders, crank, etc. might have had more prestige and more durability, but the Japanese stuff was very high quality stuff, and the frame, by MKM, is well-thought of to this day. I swear the bike was more comfortable and faster than the bike it replaced. It was a joy to ride; still is, but it's no longer close to high end.

My reco is to search Craigslist for a bike that appeals to you and take it for a test ride. If you have to, take a test ride (or multiple test rides) from a Local Bike Store. Decide for yourself if you think high-end is worth $2,000 or $4,000 or $12,000 or nothing. There's no 'best'. There's probably not even the 'best for a specific person', if you define best as 'satisfies every desire.' There are always trade-offs.

Two things to keep in mind:

1) As Ben Zoma is supposed to have said, 'Who is rich? He who rejoices in his portion....'
2) I'm 79. I won't buy a new bike because I'm afraid I won't get to use it for long. If I had bought a new bike when I was 62, I'd have been riding it for 17 years already. I'd have gotten my money's worth.

I rode a number of the most highly thought of bikes just after my bike was stolen - Rossin, Basso, 3Rensho, Miyata, Raleigh 531, Gitane 531, etc.... I didn't like any of them, probably because of the way they (didn't) fit my body. The industry's 'high end' wasn't mine. Maybe you'll find an Aeroad to be essential to your life; maybe you won't. If you do, at least you'll know it and be able to start saving.

By all means do what you can to try out a better bike than you have. It's a learning opportunity, and learning new things keeps you young. Just don't forget to enjoy what you already have.

Last edited by philbob57; 09-04-23 at 05:30 PM.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 09-04-23, 05:38 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Counterpoint:

I think the comparison as it was done makes a lot of sense, given the premise: The bike you NEED vs the bike you WANT. The Bike You Need does everything you need it to do, acceptably well. A recreational cyclist can put thousands of miles a year on a bike like that, comfortably and safely. An endurance bike like the Endurace is perfect for that.

The Bike You Want doesn't have to be the same type of bike, because it's not about practicality. It's about desire. Maybe you desire something racier? I find myself much more drawn to the Aeroad CFR, or the Ultimate CFR than I am to the Endurace CFR, even knowing that the Endurace would fit me, my age and flexibility, and my riding style more than either of the other two. Desire is not rational, so The Bike You Want can be anything.
I see your point, but I only want bikes that suit my riding style. So for me the road bike I ultimately want is actually an Endurace CFR. I like the Aeroad and the Ultimate, but neither would be a better ride on the mixed roads I ride. So I really don’t want either of those bikes.

The only smalll compromise I made was accepting the second tier build as I don’t think it makes any significant difference to the ride or performance at twice the cost. To be honest I think your third tier build Endurace is the best value and barely any further compromise. Although I do really enjoy SRAM eTap and the carbon seatpost and bars. Are they worth twice the cost? Objectively, no!
Old 09-04-23, 09:18 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
My $0.05 is you are not missing anything. If you are enjoying the bike(s) you are currently riding, then moving up to a more expensive bike will be only that - a more expensive bike.

As others have said on the thread, I guess it all depends on what your definition of a high end road bike is. Is the cost of the bike your determining factor? Whether or not the bike is ridden in a major tour? The scarcity of the bike? Etc.

If you have the cake to purchase a new and expensive/high end bike then go for it. But I would not loose any sleep over it. You are not missing out.
Old 09-04-23, 10:52 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I've enjoyed reading them alk. I think I will elaborate a bit.

​​​​​My upbringing was such that I was taught to be content. As such, with the exception of my audio equipment phase while in my 20s, I always based my purchases on need.

I have always loved cycling but have never had a desire to race or be the club ride sprint champ...u just loved riding and, to this day, I ride solo (I have never enjoyed group rides).

So.....I have always stuck to what my needs told me I could afford and, now, my current bike (a 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp) is the hughest end bike I've ever owned.

For the type of riding I do, I am not particularly interested in disc brakes, electronic shifting, aero everything, etc.

What does concern me is the industry moving away from the relative simplicity of previous generation tech although, at 62, I probably need not worry, with the used market being what it is.

I am the same way with my photography. I see no reason to lay out $4 or $5000 the newest fear when my current 11 year old kit more than gets the job done.
Was this thread a thought experiment if there was no interest in what a high end bike can provide?

Old 09-05-23, 06:05 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Am I the only one here with this conundrum?
I have a bit of a philosophy about this. I assess how I ride and what makes me feel good. Then, as I look at the options, I tend to lean toward the 90% option. By that I mean I might look at a Canyon Aeroad CFR and see it's $9500 price. Then I look at the Aeroad CF SL at $3999. What I tend to find is that the extra money gets you about a 10% improvement. I don't find that to be worthwhile. My system works well for me and has resulted in my having 5 really nice, quality road bikes, a Ford Fiesta ST and a Triumph Street Triple RS. I am very happy. Some times you just have to scratch the itch.
Old 09-05-23, 06:17 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
If you're fine without one, it's even better. There are people out here that have 15k bikes and are still not satisfied. You don't seem to have this illness.
Old 09-05-23, 08:49 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Was this thread a thought experiment if there was no interest in what a high end bike can provide?
I would translate the OP as saying he sees no reason but is open to having his reasonings challenged by other cyclists.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 09-05-23, 10:02 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
As others have said, you have already won!
I too have difficulty justifying the most recent high-end bikes. I go after the older high-end bikes.
Most are top of the line for the day.
One of the best looking ones is a 1988 De Rosa Professional with newer Campagnolo 10 speed group
De Rosa in Riding configuraton on Flickr

To experience the near top end in 1971 is a Bianchi
71BianchiDone14 , on Flickr

For 1983 there is the Colnago
1983 Colnago Superissimo on Flickr

For 1991 there is the Pinarello Montello with Patina and Racing T for the hills
1991 Pinarello Montello - 9v Racing T on Flickr

I have spent less than $1500 on any one of them with most below $1k. I do my own work. The Bianchi is the most recent and like the De Rosa, built up from the frame and fork.

So, it is not too late to experience what you think you might have missed.
* gasp *. My dream stable. The DeRosa might even be my size.
Old 09-05-23, 10:45 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
A high-end bike is anything that costs $3000 more than mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.