Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

IT Band exercises for knee pain- got any good ones?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-12, 05:01 PM
lungimsam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Doc says knee pain might go away if I do IT band exercises.
Any cyclists have this work for them? Which exercises did you do?
Old 08-28-12, 06:13 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Exercises? If you have IT band issues, I would think that they are from over-use. The best exercise for IT band inflamation is rest.
Old 08-28-12, 07:47 PM
lungimsam

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I was told the IT band runs down the side of the leg, and is supposed to share the load when pedallng. If it is weak, the slack is taken up by the small muscles around the knee and you get some pain.

Strengthen the IT, and it can carry the load.
Old 08-28-12, 07:56 PM
Syb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lie on your side, keeping the top leg straight. Point the toes of the top leg downward and then raise that leg up - as if your legs were scissors. Repeat for the other side. Then go back to the first leg and this time keep the toes pointing forward instead of down. Again, repeat for both sides. Stretch each IT band by laying on the bed on your side and drop the top leg behind (or in front depending on which way you're laying) and down. Feel the love and then repeat for the other side. Some side lunges can't hurt either.
I know we get a good amount of quad and hamstring strengthening from riding but because of the linear nature of riding we need to strengthen and stretch the adductors and abductors (like the IT band).
Old 08-28-12, 08:50 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Buy a foam roller. Hurts alot at first and then becomes amazingly comfortable. Recommended for IT band problems by most physical therapists. Available at REI, EMS Dick's and most big sporting good stores.
Old 09-04-12, 12:01 PM
MightyLegnano
The bike plague

Bikes: 70's Legnano Road Bike, Late 70's Mercier Road Bike, Ideal Target Mountain Bike, Specialized crosstrail trekking bike and a unicycle

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I suffer from this in both knees because I run mountain marathons and I really abuse the legs on the descents. I now I know how you can treat it and how you can prevent it.

To treat you need REST as mentioned before. Bicycle is bad for the IT band syndrome . Not so bad as running, but still it will keep it from healing. So, for a month unfortunately you shouldn't do any kind of leg excercises (walking is ok). Maybe a little bit of cycling.

Know, most of physiotherapists suggest stretching, but there is a school that says stretching wont help you a bit as IT band is a tendon.

I've discovered that stretching actually helps a lot! So if you want to get rid of it do these:

1) Ice it
2) Rest it
3)Stretch it
4) Strengthen it

The best stretching excersice I've practiced is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlYM3KWwrGY
You can also do this, it's a variation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlYM3KWwrGY

For strength do slow leg elevation (straight leg) while you're laying on your side. Do 3 sets of 10, 2 times a day. A week later do 20.
Old 09-04-12, 01:25 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
Buy a foam roller. Hurts alot at first and then becomes amazingly comfortable. Recommended for IT band problems by most physical therapists. Available at REI, EMS Dick's and most big sporting good stores.
+1. Nothing stretches out your IT band like one of those babies. I have one at home, one at work, and also regularly use the one at the gym. I prefer the black foam rollers, which are firmer (and more painful at first.)