Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Car-free in L.A.

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Car-free in L.A.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-08, 11:59 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Car-free in L.A.

I'm in downtown L.A. for the Siggraph convention. I couldn't help checking out the local cyclists. The first one I saw was a white-mustached senior taking his lane and blasting down Olympic towards downtown. The next three were riding cheap mountain bikes down the sidewalk.

At the Convention Center I was delighted to see a good solid bike rack right by the doors to the West Tower. And it was cool to see one fellow cruising down Figueroa on a late model Schwinn Stingray. There were others, but I can't tell you details. All in all, more bikes in downtown than I remember from when bicycle commuted in the neighborhood 20+ years ago.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 08-13-08 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-13-08, 01:48 AM
Specialized fan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
I'm in downtown L.A. for the Siggraph convention. I couldn't help checking out the local cyclists. The first one I saw was a white-mustached senior taking his lane and blasting down Olympic towards downtown. The next three were riding cheap mountain bikes down the sidewalk.

At the Convention Center I was delighted to see a good solid bike rack right by the doors to the West Tower. And it was cool to see one fellow cruising down Figueroa on a late model Schwinn Stingray. There were others, but I can't tell you details. All in all, more bikes in downtown than I remember from when bicycle commuted in the neighborhood 20+ years ago.
They most likely were bicycle messengers and they use cheap bikes so it isn't a big loss if it get ripped off as bike theft is big in down town LA, I used to work with the messengers.
Old 08-14-08, 07:08 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Specialized fan
They most likely were bicycle messengers and they use cheap bikes so it isn't a big loss if it get ripped off as bike theft is big in down town LA, I used to work with the messengers.
They definitely weren't messengers. Not riding slowly on the sidewalks. I've never heard of messengers riding slowly. Just poor workers who can't afford cars, using their bikes to get to work or do errands I imagine.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 08-14-08, 04:51 PM
worker4youth
Vanned.

Bikes: 2006 Motobecane Le Champ SL, 2006 Mercier Kilo TT, 2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was car-free in LA for a good 3 years. The best 3 years of my life