Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Right trigger shifter can't shift to lowest gear, 8 speed cassette with Tourney setup

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Right trigger shifter can't shift to lowest gear, 8 speed cassette with Tourney setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-21, 04:27 PM
CaptainPlanet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Wanted to verify and see if Tourney derailleur could work if I swap it onto a bike that had a working 3x8 setup.
I had just put it on and haven't had time to do a thorough troubleshoot before I had to go to sleep.
The trigger shifter cannot be pushed to the easiest gear, I tried to push it but it won't click to 1.
Is this too much tension or to little tension? Don't think this is about the derailleur adjuster screws. Will need to come back and troubleshoot it further.
To confirm, Tourney derailleur can work on 8 speed, right?
Old 05-30-21, 05:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
What model Tourney? There are quite a few versions of Tourney since they came out in 1971. Are your shifters indexed or friction?
Old 05-30-21, 05:38 PM
CaptainPlanet

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
What model Tourney? There are quite a few versions of Tourney since they came out in 1971. Are your shifters indexed or friction?
My shifter is the easy fire indexed trigger.

Won't be able to check the bike, quick search of the bike it came from and there's only a small image of it available because the original site had deleted it. This particular tourney model had come with a red gear and silver gear covers

I think it might be this derailleur, the shape and color looks really similar, but I can't recall if it says SIS index on it.

Old 05-30-21, 05:57 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet
Wanted to verify and see if Tourney derailleur could work if I swap it onto a bike that had a working 3x8 setup.
I had just put it on and haven't had time to do a thorough troubleshoot before I had to go to sleep.
The trigger shifter cannot be pushed to the easiest gear, I tried to push it but it won't click to 1.
Is this too much tension or to little tension? Don't think this is about the derailleur adjuster screws. Will need to come back and troubleshoot it further.
To confirm, Tourney derailleur can work on 8 speed, right?
Maybe you shouldn't eliminate that either. I'd back off the L screw 1 Turn and see if the situation improves. You can always set it back to where it was.
Best to go to the PARK Tool site & start from the beginning.
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...eur-adjustment
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-30-21, 09:55 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Just a wild guess here: It's not adjusted correctly. I know it sounds crazy but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.
Old 05-30-21, 10:16 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
New derailleur? Do you know how to adjust limit screws? Factory settings usually don't allow you to shift onto the biggest cog lest you shift into the spokes
Old 05-30-21, 10:57 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
  1. Disconnect the cable. Hand-shift the derailleur across the cassette/freewheel to see if it reaches all cogs. Adjust limit screws accordingly.
  2. Pulling on the cable with one hand, operate the shifter with the other. The number of clicks should equal the number of speeds minus 1. Make sure the shifter pulls or releases cable with each shift.
  3. Examine the cable and housing sections for damage, wear, and corrosion. Replace accordingly
  4. Shift to highest cog. Retract cable tensioners. Fasten cable to derailleur.
  5. Adjust cable tension for correct indexing using the tensioners.
Old 06-01-21, 01:19 AM
CaptainPlanet

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
It does look like it's a limit screw issue. It can shift up to 1st gear now but it still takes quite a push to push up to it.