Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Installing SKS P50 fender to Disc Trucker: Where to the fender stays attach?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-17, 07:41 AM
ChipSeals

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought SKS P50 mudguards for my new Disc Trucker. My LBS installed the fender stays to the midfork eyelet, I assume to avoid contorting the fender stays around the Avid BB brakes.

Was this the smart move? Does this obviate the ability to also run a Tubus lowrider rack, or does one just need a long bolt?

Is this a known workaround to avoid getting near the brakes? It seems wrong to me but I’ve never run this combo. And I would like to use those midfork eyelets for something else.

The SKS fenders use the “v” style double stays.
Old 11-23-17, 08:24 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
I am not familiar with putting fenders on a trucker, but what I can say is that using a rack and a fender stay end thingee with a longer bolt is something that I have done in the past with other bikes for years with no problems.
In my cases, it was the lower eyelet, so here the rack would be carrying much more weight than a mid fork one.

take a peek at "disc trucker fender" for "images" and you may fnd other ways people did it, but having sks fenders myself, I know that you must cut the stay to the length you need, so lets face it, whats done is done, you cant make it grow longer, but from my experience of using fender and rack with a longer bolt, it works perfectly fine and will not be an issue.

do you have a front rack already to try to see how it mounts with teh fender stay there?

on my Troll btw, I had to get suggestions of a work around for my sks front fender from a knowledgeable mechanic, so this is very common with disc bikes. In my case, it used an unorthodox metal bit on the lower eyelet.
Old 11-23-17, 10:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Lots of other ways to attach the front mudguards, we old mechanics have creative solutions

Younger people apparently outsource to the internet, instead..

The Brompton factory mounts their mudguard struts on different places on the right fork blade than the left.

there have been prior posters showing, with pictures, their way around the front disc caliper to mount their mud guard struts..

I'll leave it to you to seek those out.

I have used the tabs on my front lowrider racks for mudguard struts , as provided by the rack making company..

then you may stack up the rack mount on top of the fender strut, with a longer bolt, perhaps..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-23-17 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-23-17, 11:10 AM
biker222

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Here are some pics of SKS mudguard front install. I used 35mm, but should be similar.
Used a template made with a coat hanger for front brake side and then cut SKS wire from template.
Used a vise and vise grip pliers to shape wire. The spacer is a 1/2" Aluminum and bolts are all stainless
steel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0813.JPG (368.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0814.JPG (414.7 KB, 73 views)
Old 11-23-17, 11:55 AM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker222
Here are some pics of SKS mudguard front install. I used 35mm, but should be similar.
Used a template made with a coat hanger for front brake side and then cut SKS wire from template.
Used a vise and vise grip pliers to shape wire. The spacer is a 1/2" Aluminum and bolts are all stainless
steel.
That looks really good!

I used the spacer that came with my fenders and spaced the stay out on the left side. The right side, I bolted to the fork eyelet at the wheel.

I like the way biker222 did it and would do that if I had thought of it instead.
Old 11-23-17, 07:04 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
steel.
Looks good. Looks like you have tape on that rack (Tubus Duo?). My Ortlieb bags rattle without the tape. Pretty good fit with two layers of electrical tape.
Old 11-24-17, 02:11 PM
biker222

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I have the Tubus Tara front rack. I use both electrical tape and some clear protective tape used for auto paint protection. On the lower hooks I taped some closed cell bumpers to cushion the Ortlieb front roller bags.
Also applied some teflon tape on the pannier flat area that contacts bumper.

The taped areas can be renewed when they wear down and protect rack paint. The tape holds up amazingly well.
Old 11-29-17, 03:54 PM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
steel.
Looks slick Biker222 - nice work.

Another option is to just make a small "L" tab out of scrap metal and attach it to the upper disc caliper bolt, drill holes in each side of it, essentially creating a new mount. I then just mount the fender off that.

I've never NOT been able to mount fenders to a frame, with enough zip ties, bolts, nuts, shears and time I've been able to figure something out on all my frames.