Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

First Tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

First Tour

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 07:24 PM
Ngmitch15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Tour

Hi guys,

Going on my first tour. I've planned 8days for about 550 miles. Across Midwest US. Just wondering is that is feasible? I'm not planning on it being a necessary relaxing, cruising trip. But I just want to make sure I'm not over my head. I've only done one night little trips but can bike 100 in a day w/o too much pain/sorness. I've got a quality touring bike, good components.

Also any tips? Don't have a schedule really. Planning on camping at state parks or preserves as much as possible but know that isn't always feasible. Any experience with wild camping in midwest US?

Thanks guys,
Noah
Old 07-18-18, 07:49 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's 69 miles per day not including little side trips to camping, food, etc. Seems high for a first tour but only you know if you can do it.
Old 07-18-18, 07:59 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
That might be a great schedule for you, if you're young. I was on a tour by myself once in 1990 when I was young and found I needed to up the mileage per day because I was getting lonely, and time in the saddle alleviated that.
Old 07-18-18, 08:14 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Wow, I'm completely lost on this one. To begin with, why would you want any pain or soreness?? What are you trying to prove and to whom? This doesn't sound like a tour, but a race. Have you done any training for this daily high mileage? What happens if something happens that holds you up? Are you going to increase the mileage over the following days or just extend the "tour"? This doesn't sound like a tour to me. A tour is supposed to be enjoyable. The average tourer does about 45 miles a day.
Old 07-18-18, 09:15 PM
Ngmitch15

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yes some context would help:
I'm 22, bike almost everyday to work/gym/store ect, in very good fitness and health, and am biking to a family reunion/vacation. Worst case scenario my family picks me up on their way if I don't make it.

​​​​​​I like challenges and biking 45 miles a day would be miserably boring. From what I've seen touring looks very different from folk to folk. I was just wondering if 70 miles a day was doable or if anyone had done something similar. Thanks guys for your responses.
Old 07-18-18, 10:27 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Ngmitch15
Oh yes some context would help:
I'm 22, bike almost everyday to work/gym/store ect, in very good fitness and health, and am biking to a family reunion/vacation. Worst case scenario my family picks me up on their way if I don't make it.

​​​​​​I like challenges and biking 45 miles a day would be miserably boring. From what I've seen touring looks very different from folk to folk. I was just wondering if 70 miles a day was doable or if anyone had done something similar. Thanks guys for your responses.
Does not seem unreasonable. Just remember that a tourer's biggest ally is flexibility. A stop for a few pics, a nap, to have a long lunch, talk to a stranger, is all part of the experience. If you just ride with your destination in mind, you may miss out on quite a bit
Old 07-18-18, 11:21 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Ngmitch15
Hi guys,

Don't have a schedule really.
This is the attitude!!!! Have fun!!!!
Old 07-19-18, 05:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,563 Times in 7,333 Posts
Seems that if you are going to a planned event that you do have a schedule. You have to arrive in time to attend the event, whenever that it.