Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

You Got a Bicycle, Now You Have to Take Care of It

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-20, 12:07 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

New York Times article on the necessity of bike maintenance
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/25/r...s-cycling.html
Old 12-27-20, 04:37 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Can't access without a subscription. Not helpful.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 12-27-20, 06:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
Its an article talking about maintaining a bike thru winter...there isnt much need to access it for the vast majority of BF users. Having to maintain a bike is common sense.

For nyt articles if you refresh the page then hit X while loading, it allows you to read the article. It takes a few refreshes sometimes, but the bypass always happens.
Old 12-27-20, 06:19 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Lemme guess.. it's all about bleeding hydraulic brake lines, replacing tubeless sealant, and charging Di2 batteries?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-27-20, 06:22 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
Your comment isn't very helpful... buuuut, open in private/incognito mode, or clear your cookies. Or just ignore it.
Old 12-27-20, 08:16 PM
Aroyobob

Bikes: Trek 460, Trek 1420, Schwin High Sierra

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Talks about the importance of locking it up (in NYC,) storing it inside (recommended,) of getting it tuned up prior to winter storage if you are not going to ride it through the winter and cleaning it after rides if you do ride through the winter and about layering for winter riding.

Comments are often the best part. Here are a few:

I coached cycling at Indiana University for over 45 years. The mantra was: "There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing decisions".

When I sold off my motorcycle and all the related equipment, the one thing I did keep was my pair of battery-operated heated gloves. They’re light enough so that they don’t look completely out of place with the rest of your cycling gear (and you still maintain your fingers’ dexterity etc), but heavy enough and with its rechargeable battery-operated heat to keep your fingers toasty-warm. It has multiple heat settings, and a full charge will pretty much last an entire day at ‘medium’ heat setting.

After I bought my quite expensive dream bike, I took high vis fluorescent (green and orange) spray cans and sprayed the bike all over, including wheels and handlebar, randomly, making it very visible, unique, ugly by any bourgeois standard, and theft-proof at least against "professional" thieves. I know its a high end bike, but nobody else needs to know.

I've been commuting year round by bike for 20 years. Studded tires are my best friend during the winter months. Be prepared to rinse your bike off really well after each wet, salty, slushy ride, and have a cleaner/lube combination for your bike's mechanical moving parts. Gotta keep your face, feet, and hands warm, but don't take other people's advice indiscriminately. You have to get out there and learn for yourself what works best. Most important, get out there and have fun, be visible, and set a good example for others. The more riders on the road, the more we will be a force to reckon with, and perhaps lawmakers will pay attention - more bike lanes, more space for bikes, and more incentives to get out and walk and ride, rather than choose that egregiously inefficient method of transportation - the personal automobile.
Old 12-27-20, 09:07 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its an article talking about maintaining a bike thru winter...there isnt much need to access it for the vast majority of BF users. Having to maintain a bike is common sense.
For nyt articles if you refresh the page then hit X while loading, it allows you to read the article. It takes a few refreshes sometimes, but the bypass always happens.
Thanks for that tip! I usually use Outline.com to bypass paid sites but it doesn't work for the NYT. It took me a few times but it does work.
Old 12-28-20, 01:09 PM
The Clumsy Oaf

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Landyachtz Spitfire SS

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a sub.
Can I copy & paste, or will I get sued / banned / yelled at?
Old 12-28-20, 01:23 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It works for me without being subscriber or doing the above trick. I have Brave browser with its 'Shield' switched ON (that is this browser's built in ad block), also use Opera browser with its built in ad blocking. I can access NYT all over with both of these browsers, read new or older articles, go figure. Unless that's because I am a first time visitor and it will bump me off after some initial free time?

Last edited by vane171; 12-28-20 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-28-20, 03:17 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by The Clumsy Oaf
I have a sub.
Can I copy & paste, or will I get sued / banned / yelled at?
Yea, I wouldn't. There are many ways around the whole "need to subscribe" issue, and one has already been provided with just stopping the page from fully loading.
Old 12-31-20, 11:08 AM
klasse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
I enjoyed reading this article. After an initial read, this is all the article says about bike maintenance:“Be sure to wash the salt and sand off your drivetrain (the chain ring, chain, cassette (gears), and derailleur) after riding, then re-lubricate the parts to keep them in good shape.”

She advised putting old newspapers down in your hallway when cleaning your bike. Old newspapers or flattened cardboard boxes are also great at collecting any dirty water or grease that may drip down off your bike after riding in the rain or snow."

Interesting advice I will have to read the comments.