Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How the Auto Industry Carjacked the American Dream

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-21, 08:44 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts

I'm not sure this guy's attempts at humor quite fit the topic, but I found this video fascinating nonetheless.

Old 04-21-21, 09:57 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
What is funny is that the infant cycling community was the group that crusaded for better roads. So in effect cars are driving on the roads that cyclist created.
Old 04-25-21, 04:40 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
On Thursday, April 22, 2021 on CTV Toronto noon news, I saw a story that bothered me.

Frank Stronoch of Magna International is trying to develop an electric micro-car. Now that doesn't sound too bad. But didn't the ZENN car try this?

What really bothered me were two phrases: 1) the microcar would safer than bicycles and 2) it would fit into the bike lane.

Regardless of how some of us feel about separated and protected bike lanes, after so many decades we finally have them. And now a car parts manufacturer is eyeing the space that car drivers had to give up and put them in there again. Here comes the carjacking.

The top speed would be 35km/hr. If the micro car were to catch up to a bicycle going at 15km/hr like me, would the driver push and bully the cyclist out of the way?

If the micro car encounters another car or delivery vehicle parked in the bike lane, would it have the maneuverability to get into street traffic like what cyclists do?

If you're putting the typical driver into a bike lane in a car that fits there, would we get an increase in pedestrian and bicycle collisions? A cyclist has the space, maneuverability and situational awareness to avoid collisions with pedestrians who don't look when they get out of their cars. A driver zipping along in a bike lane at 35km/hr would not.

I don't think it's a good idea.

Last edited by Daniel4; 04-25-21 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-28-21, 12:37 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
yea, I dont think bike lanes are a good idea either
Old 05-06-21, 09:06 AM
Jungleland

Bikes: Trek Domane SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts
This reminds me of the plastics industry and their drive to blame Americans for the plastics problem.
Old 05-06-21, 06:59 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
well who ever thought that people would buy trillions of plastic bottles filled with water
Old 05-07-21, 05:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
On Thursday, April 22, 2021 on CTV Toronto noon news, I saw a story that bothered me.

Frank Stronoch of Magna International is trying to develop an electric micro-car. Now that doesn't sound too bad. But didn't the ZENN car try this?

What really bothered me were two phrases: 1) the microcar would safer than bicycles and 2) it would fit into the bike lane.

Regardless of how some of us feel about separated and protected bike lanes, after so many decades we finally have them. And now a car parts manufacturer is eyeing the space that car drivers had to give up and put them in there again. Here comes the carjacking.

The top speed would be 35km/hr. If the micro car were to catch up to a bicycle going at 15km/hr like me, would the driver push and bully the cyclist out of the way?

If the micro car encounters another car or delivery vehicle parked in the bike lane, would it have the maneuverability to get into street traffic like what cyclists do?

If you're putting the typical driver into a bike lane in a car that fits there, would we get an increase in pedestrian and bicycle collisions? A cyclist has the space, maneuverability and situational awareness to avoid collisions with pedestrians who don't look when they get out of their cars. A driver zipping along in a bike lane at 35km/hr would not.

I don't think it's a good idea.

I've posted about the obvious problem with power-assist regulation on the bike paths--it's all focused on the maximum speed of the powered vehicle, and not on the weight. It's really not going to take a lot of mini-cars to jam up the bike lanes and paths, and it's a safety issue because getting hit by a vehicle weighing 500 pounds is a heck of a lot more likely to kill you at 35 km/hr than a a 250 pound bike and rider at the same speed.
Old 05-14-21, 08:58 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Headpost
I'm not sure this guy's attempts at humor quite fit the topic, but I found this video fascinating nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOttvpjJvAo
Complaining about something without a viable solution is just whining.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 05-15-21, 11:57 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Complaining about something without a viable solution is just whining.
We are in the Advocacy and Safety section of this discussion forum. Instead of complaining about posts advocating for cyclists, you should request the moderators to remove the Advocacy section.