Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Toe Numbness

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Toe Numbness

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-09, 05:55 PM
FLN333

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toe Numbness

I have always had road bikes and in November I purchased my first carbon bike and was fitted for the bike. At first I didnt have the clips but noticed that my toes on my left foot would get numb after about 15 miles or so. In speaking with my LBS she suggested I get clips. So after years of no clips I got clips (I am 43 and thought I was old to get them). I adjusted rather quickly and love them except....I still get numb toes. I have adjusted my seat height and also the cleat location. I can not say it is my shoes since it happened when I used my old shoes with the new bike. It has to be something with the bike and I cannot figure it out. I was wondering if it could be my saddle. I did read on another site that you need to have a proper fitting saddle where you sit bones fit the seat. Do you think to small of a seat could put this pressure on the nerves and affect my foot. I really dont feel it is the shoes but something on the bike. Any ideas?
Old 05-17-09, 05:58 PM
fbxcore

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sort of notice that I get a bit of toe numbness if I don't use good cycling socks. Just a thought.
Old 05-17-09, 06:02 PM
FLN333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you say good cycle socks what do you mean. I have heard/read others state that. I have sock from bike companies but not sure what qualifies as "good"
Old 05-17-09, 06:05 PM
gbg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What part of your foot goes numb? I know when I ride with a more lazy style (knees getting to far from the top tube, and mashing) my feet tend to pronate outwards, putting pressure on the outside of the foot, and I get numbness on the little toe. Once I correct my form, keeping my knees closer to the top tube and putting more pressure on the ball of the foot under the big toe the numbness goes away.
Old 05-17-09, 06:06 PM
FLN333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One more piece of info - when I take my foot off the pedals or stop the numbness goes right away
Old 05-17-09, 06:07 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Sandles ...

Originally Posted by FLN333
When you say good cycle socks what do you mean. I have heard/read others state that. I have sock from bike companies but not sure what qualifies as "good"
I had problems with my feet going numb, tingling, swelling, when riding more than three or four miles. I've been wearing sandles when riding, which seems to have helped.
Old 05-17-09, 07:16 PM
Barese Rider

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2004Trek 2100,1985 Nishike Prestige

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had a great foot massage for a couple of sore feet from a long ride I did yesterday. It was worth the money..For many cycling can be rough on the feet, and Im included. Ive been to the podiatrist, added expensive insoles, and now have had a foot massage . I liked the foot massage the best as the asian girl who gave it to me was cute, didnt understand a word I was saying and aimed to please. [unlike my wife]
Old 05-17-09, 07:26 PM
fbxcore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FLN333
Well when I use my every day cotton socks that doesn't do me much good. When I use cycling/running-specific socks it helps me out a bit.
Old 05-17-09, 09:03 PM
geneman
rider of small bicycles

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Too much "down" and not enough "up" in your pedal stroke, coupled with hard pedaling. Do you find yourself trying to go a little faster now that you're on a carbon steed?

Try consciously turning circles for a few rides. "Throw the knees over the handlebars," "wipe the dog crap off the bottom of your shoe at the bottom of the stroke." Whatever imagery it takes.
Old 05-18-09, 12:27 AM
jordangerous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geneman
"Throw the knees over the handlebars," "wipe the dog crap off the bottom of your shoe at the bottom of the stroke."
never heard that before, funny and useful.
Old 05-18-09, 12:41 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have flat feet and have found the best answer to be orthotics, and believe it or not, the least expensive ones. WalkFit can be purchased at Target or BB&B. Even if you don't have flat feet, it keeps your foot honest when you are putting lots of pressure on it.

Another thing that VASTLY improved my foot health as it applies to cycling is the Yoga stretch where you start squatting like a catcher,then move your body into an arc, like an upside-down boomerang, hands in front. Slowly walk your hands closer to your feet, keeping your feet as flat on the ground as you can. Stretching that plantar fascia on the bottom of your foot will help, as it is attached to the ball of your foot (as well as your heel).
Old 05-18-09, 12:44 AM
Hamish200sx
Hamish200sx

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, 09' Surly Long Haul Trucker, 80's Miyata 110

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your numbness is most likely coming from form and not from an equipment issue. It usually stems from mashing the pedals. It is a very awkward thing to try at first but if you use more of a pushing forward and pulling backward motion with your feet and just let momentum carry you up and down the numbness will go away. Your foot should be able to float in your shoe. You should not have constant pressure on the bottom of your foot.
Old 05-18-09, 12:45 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamish200sx
Your numbness is most likely coming from form and not from an equipment issue. It usually stems from mashing the pedals. It is a very awkward thing to try at first but if you use more of a pushing forward and pulling backward motion with your feet and just let momentum carry you up and down the numbness will go away. Your foot should be able to float in your shoe. You should not have constant pressure on the bottom of your foot.
...and this too :-)
Old 05-18-09, 01:23 AM
Dago
Ninja cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wrong shoes or shoes are tightened too tight.
Old 05-18-09, 07:03 AM
dnpaha
Oldie but Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had this issue resolved when I had my new bike fitted. Turns out due to my flat feet I was putting pressure on one of my tendons and cutting off circulation. I had custom inserts made for my shoes which raises the ball of the foot. I had one foot leaning in and the other out so the inserts we adjusted for this. Feels funny to walk in but when you get on the bike it is amazing. A simple $90.00 solution that has had amazing results. My LBS had the inserts and the testing/sizing took 15 minutes. Check out the website: https://www.alinesystems.com/
Old 05-18-09, 11:06 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Or you can try the little wedges that fit under your cleat.

I had/have some toe numbness. In my case, mashing can cause it to worsen. That stinks because it's so fun to just hammer those pedals! Ease up and spin.

Also have tried those wedges that fit under your cleat. They seemed to help with numbness. I also noticed that my left anke feel much more flexible with the wedges installed, so my form is better than it was.

Good luck!
Old 05-18-09, 04:13 PM
FLN333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks all. To sum up some of the questions, it is my big toe and next 2 toes. Once I remove my foot from the pedal it stops and numbness goes away. Again before I had the clips I used the same shoe on my other bike. Maybe it is form - but not sure why I didnt feel it before this new bike. And maybe it is trying to go fast. I will have to take notice as to when it happens. I was just checking the amount of time not if going fast. When you say mashing are you saying pedaling hard and fast? I have not heard throwing my knees over the handle bar but I have heard do not spin in a circle, do a box - I thought I was doing that. I did get Dr Schols inserts the gel sport and will try them. I am also going to pedal softer then I ride this week. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Some mentioned not on this site maybe my seat. Could it be I am pressing on a nerve causing this?