Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Wabi Classic Build

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Wabi Classic Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-14, 09:24 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Ride yo bike
word
Likes For jlafitte:
Old 08-25-14, 10:00 PM
Nagrom_ 
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
new drive trains are noisy sometimes...

This thread is ridiculous.
Old 08-25-14, 11:29 PM
DScience

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nagrom_

Awesome.
Old 08-26-14, 07:01 AM
heymatthew

Bikes: Nashbar SSCX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This response is ridiculous.

OP: Did you get the tire to re-seat properly? I recently purchased tires for my wife's new bike and on one of them, the tire was 'bent' (not sure the term, but the bead was warped a little). It took a little finagling, but I finally got it seated properly and inflated it and everything sort of settled into place. I also put new Gatorskins on my bike a couple of weeks ago and something wasn't quite right about it (seemed a little 'wobbly' when I spun the wheel, but I let it go as it was hot and late and I chalked it up to an irregular tire. I went out to ride the next morning and the tire had come unseated from the rim. You may do what was suggested a few posts ago and try to sort of massage the tire into place one more time. I did that with my wife's tire and the one of mine that came unseated and both are spinning nice and true and ride great.

I'm fairly new to bikes, but I have done a build from parts and just from my limited experience with tires in the last few weeks, I've found that re-working a tire can sometimes get it seated where it needs to be. Might just be a tiny bit off.

Best of luck. I love the build!
Old 08-26-14, 12:02 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
Not in my experience. And they shouldn't be. Brand new high quality components, specifically designed to mate one another should result in dead f'n silent operation.

A bicycle enthusiast just built his first bike using good bits. He is dissatisfied with a couple things and having a problem with couple other things. Other bike enthusiasts are attempting to help him troubleshoot the problems. Seems like a friendly thread that may result in a positive outcome for the OP to me.
Old 08-26-14, 09:02 PM
Nagrom_ 
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
Lol k
Old 08-27-14, 04:10 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by heymatthew
OP: Did you get the tire to re-seat properly? I recently purchased tires for my wife's new bike and on one of them, the tire was 'bent' (not sure the term, but the bead was warped a little). It took a little finagling, but I finally got it seated properly and inflated it and everything sort of settled into place.
This isn't uncommon, particularly if you buy tyres over the internet and they're shipped to you folded up or twisted into a smaller space. As you've discovered, it's no biggie if you're willing to take the trouble to work around the 'problem'. You can also buy tyres with soft beads designed to be folded - these aren't any better quality but can have convenience advantages.

Sorry for the hijack. We can now go back to the OP's drivetrain
Old 08-27-14, 11:17 AM
DScience

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Possible chainline issues

Update:

So i've tried everything possible to reseat the tire. However it's a wire beaded tire and the velocity A23 rims are notorious for difficulties in seating tires. There are just some regions where the wire bead is STUCK in the middle of the rim. Thus I ordered a tire seating tool that should arrive today. I hope this will take care of the wobble issue.

Now on another note, while my chain is off, I decided to check one more time about the chainline. After many repetitions, I have come to the conclusion that my rear cog has a chainline of 42mm, but my crank is at 45mm.

Now this has me scratching my head, because of two reasons: my bottom bracket is 68mm, and so many people use the omniums. Is everyones chainline 3 mm off? Could this be causing the noise?

Lastly, the chainring of the omniums comes about 2 mm from hitting the chainstay, thus I don't see how it is even possible to have a 42mm chainline with this frame.

Old 08-27-14, 11:38 AM
Cute Boy Horse

Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Your bottom bracket is 68mm, everyone's is. Your bottom bracket spindle could be anything. Measure that, buy one 3mm shorter.

How many teeth is the chainring? Might be too large for that frame with a standard chainline.
Old 08-27-14, 11:45 AM
DScience

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
Your bottom bracket is 68mm, everyone's is. Your bottom bracket spindle could be anything. Measure that, buy one 3mm shorter.

How many teeth is the chainring? Might be too large for that frame with a standard chainline.
I don't believe omniums have interchangeable spindles lol! It's a 48t chainring. There is no way to adjust the chainline with omniums (not supposed to use spacers) and setting it up as instructed there is plenty of clearance of the chainstay. What I am saying, is if I had a Sugino 75, for example, and it had a chainline of 42mm, I don't see how it would work because with the omniums at 45mm, they are about 2-3 mm away from the chainstay. Thus if you lost 3mm of chainline with a new crank/chainring, I would think it would hit the chainstay.
Old 08-27-14, 11:46 AM
Flatulentfox

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The GXP bottom bracket uses spacers between the frame and non drive side bearing cup to adjust chain line. They are typically included with truvativ cranksets utilizing GXP bottom brackets. I just built a wabi classic with omniums and had zero issues with chainline using no spacers. haven't measured my chainline, but I will when I get a chance and will post it.
Old 08-27-14, 11:54 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by DScience
Update:

So i've tried everything possible to reseat the tire. However it's a wire beaded tire and the velocity A23 rims are notorious for difficulties in seating tires.
They are? I've never had any trouble at all.

Now on another note, while my chain is off, I decided to check one more time about the chainline. After many repetitions, I have come to the conclusion that my rear cog has a chainline of 42mm, but my crank is at 45mm.
Take a look at how small 3mm is on a metric ruler. Are you really losing sleep over three millimeters?

This entire thread is stupid. Ride your bike.
Old 08-27-14, 12:15 PM
DScience

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
They are? I've never had any trouble at all.

I don't believe you've installed 25c panaracer wire beaded tires on new A23 velocity rims with no trouble at all, I just don't.

Take a look at how small 3mm is on a metric ruler. Are you really losing sleep over three millimeters?

Yea, but remember: 3 mm is 3,000 micromemters, and 3,000,000 nanometers

This entire thread is stupid. Ride your bike.

Thanks brah!
I'm glad to know 3mm isn't an issue for a chainline, that is exactly what I wanted to know from an expert.

Thanks for the Nitto stem, it is amazing!
Old 08-27-14, 12:16 PM
DScience

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flatulentfox
The GXP bottom bracket uses spacers between the frame and non drive side bearing cup to adjust chain line. They are typically included with truvativ cranksets utilizing GXP bottom brackets. I just built a wabi classic with omniums and had zero issues with chainline using no spacers. haven't measured my chainline, but I will when I get a chance and will post it.
I know it's a hassle, but I would appreciate if you measured your chainline.
Old 08-27-14, 12:33 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I don't believe omniums have interchangeable spindles lol!
I thought the comedy nonstandard bottom brackets were a road bike disease.
Old 08-27-14, 12:55 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Liked 793 Times in 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
I thought the comedy nonstandard bottom brackets were a road bike disease.
Do you live under a rock ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-27-14, 01:51 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

I don't believe you've installed 25c panaracer wire beaded tires on new A23 velocity rims with no trouble at all, I just don't.
Au contraire, I installed both a 23mm and 25mm wire bead Pasela PT on a customer's A23 wheels a few days ago. They went on very easily.

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 08-27-14 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-27-14, 02:21 PM
Flatulentfox

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Do you live under a rock ?
In a stall.
Old 08-27-14, 02:35 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Au contraire, I installed both a 23mm and 25mm wire bead Pasela PT on a customer's A23 wheels a few days ago. They went on very easily.
Pretty much what I've found, too. I've got two sets of A23's and a variety of Pasela wire and folding bead tires (I'm kind of obsessed with the Pasela PT/TG) in various widths that have all fit very, very easily. I use two layers of our Velotape or a thin woven polyester cloth tape.
Old 08-27-14, 02:48 PM
DScience

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seely
Pretty much what I've found, too. I've got two sets of A23's and a variety of Pasela wire and folding bead tires (I'm kind of obsessed with the Pasela PT/TG) in various widths that have all fit very, very easily. I use two layers of our Velotape or a thin woven polyester cloth tape.
Well I retract my statement. For me it was insanely difficult. I suppose I have nothing to compare it to, since this is the first time i've ever installed a tire on a rim. But good lord, you guys must have hands of steel, able to wrestle alligators!

Old 08-27-14, 02:59 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well I retract my statement. For me it was insanely difficult. I suppose I have nothing to compare it to, since this is the first time i've ever installed a tire on a rim. But good lord, you guys must have hands of steel, able to wrestle alligators!

Out of curiosity, what rim tape are you using? That can come into play.
Old 08-27-14, 03:08 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

For the record, my customer's wheels (which were built by me) were taped using 16mm Velox.
Old 08-27-14, 03:16 PM
DScience

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seely
Out of curiosity, what rim tape are you using? That can come into play.
When I was researching the A23's I found forum post after forum post about people having issues with flats, trouble getting tires on, rim tape being too thick, etc etc... It was suggested to use this, which is very thin. On the second wheel, I used scotch strapping tape, 18mm. I didn't see any difference between the two wheels.

However, these tapes are somewhat 'tacky' and I wonder if that is preventing the bead from seating correctly.
Old 08-27-14, 03:20 PM
DScience

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For the record, my customer's wheels (which were built by me) were taped using 16mm Velox.
Ok I have a question. When I installed my 25c, for the first bead I was able to get about 75% seated in the rim. The remaining part was SOOOOOO hard to get above the rim. I had to literally use a tire lever and push/force the bead over the rim little by little. It took 30-40 minutes of brute force. After I was like, "I just made this tire my *****" because it was so hard. How did you do it??
Old 08-27-14, 03:39 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Talcum powder on the bead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.