Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Wabi Classic Build

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Wabi Classic Build

Old 08-20-14, 06:12 PM
  #1  
DScience
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wabi Classic Build

I'm creating this thread mainly to consolidate the questions i'll have during my first build. But to keep it interesting i'll try to upload a lot of photos.

I went with the Wabi for several reasons. The first is that I personally jived with the Wabi philosophy. The second is that the frame was a good price for some decent metal. lastly the geometry is described as being a little more relaxed than a typical track bike, which is what I was looking for. For parts, I wanted to go all Nitto and Sugino, but I couldn't afford it. Basically I tried to get the best quality parts I could afford, with aesthetics taking lower priority than function.

Here it is so far: Wabi Classic, SRAM Omnium & GXP bb, Nitto RB-019 bars



Now, on to my first (newest) question. I just installed the SRAM Omnium, and I was a little surprised at how poorly it seemed to spin. I uploaded a video, and wanted your opinions on if this is what to expect from a newly installed crank/bb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_4791.jpg (78.9 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_4792.jpg (79.3 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_4793.jpg (74.4 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_4794.jpg (92.5 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_4798.jpg (84.6 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_4800.jpg (84.8 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_4801.jpg (88.6 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_4804.jpg (98.0 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_4806.jpg (100.9 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_4810.jpg (94.6 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_4813.jpg (87.6 KB, 248 views)

Last edited by DScience; 08-29-14 at 08:31 AM.
DScience is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 06:33 PM
  #2  
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Posts: 11,753

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 428 Posts
i don't see anything unusual in your crank spin test. There is probably some drag in the bearing seals, which you will not even notice when riding the bike. I'm not familiar with the GXP BB, so I don't know if it's possible to get the bearings too tight.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 08:01 PM
  #3  
jeremybrooks
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: PDX
Posts: 45

Bikes: Surly Cross-check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a gorgeous frame. Looking forward to seeing the finished bike!
jeremybrooks is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 09:21 PM
  #4  
murrellington
Senior Member
 
murrellington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second that. Such a nice frame and great color. I'm looking to buy the same soon
murrellington is offline  
Old 08-21-14, 12:07 AM
  #5  
DScience
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
i don't see anything unusual in your crank spin test. There is probably some drag in the bearing seals, which you will not even notice when riding the bike. I'm not familiar with the GXP BB, so I don't know if it's possible to get the bearings too tight.
Thanks for the response. I was very careful when installing the bb, especially tightening the external bearings. Hopefully everything is normal.

Originally Posted by jeremybrooks
That's a gorgeous frame. Looking forward to seeing the finished bike!
Originally Posted by murrellington
I second that. Such a nice frame and great color. I'm looking to buy the same soon
Thanks! I should have more parts come in over the next few days.
DScience is offline  
Old 08-21-14, 10:26 AM
  #6  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,862

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
I am unfamiliar with that particular style crank/BB and their instalation. That said, it looks like something is really wrong there. It looks like it makes only ~8 revolutions and comes to a stiff abrupt stop. I've never had a square taper crank on a cartridge decelerate so rapidy. They usually spin and spin and take forever to come to a very "floaty" stop.
SquidPuppet is offline  
Old 08-21-14, 10:39 AM
  #7  
DScience
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Small update:

Over the past two years of riding a fixed/single speed i've been using Nitto rb-002 bullhorn handlebars, with in-line brake levers on the top. The was not ideal because every time I needed to stop I would have to switch my hands to the top bar. Thus for a while now i've wanted reverse bar-end brake levers, so I ended up getting the Cane Creek 200TT's; anyone have experience with these?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_4824.jpg (91.0 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_4826.jpg (99.8 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_4827.jpg (100.6 KB, 187 views)
DScience is offline  
Old 08-21-14, 11:03 AM
  #8  
Wspsux
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,063

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DScience
Small update:

Over the past two years of riding a fixed/single speed i've been using Nitto rb-002 bullhorn handlebars, with in-line brake levers on the top. The was not ideal because every time I needed to stop I would have to switch my hands to the top bar. Thus for a while now i've wanted reverse bar-end brake levers, so I ended up getting the Cane Creek 200TT's; anyone have experience with these?

I've got them. I have very little to say about them. I believe that like a saddle, the less you notice them, the better. Right?
Wspsux is offline  
Old 08-21-14, 06:38 PM
  #9  
DScience
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wspsux
I've got them. I have very little to say about them. I believe that like a saddle, the less you notice them, the better. Right?
Cool, so they must work well is what you're saying. I can dig it!
DScience is offline  
Old 08-21-14, 06:56 PM
  #10  
hockeyteeth
Senior Member
 
hockeyteeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gnv, FL
Posts: 1,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
I am unfamiliar with that particular style crank/BB and their instalation. That said, it looks like something is really wrong there. It looks like it makes only ~8 revolutions and comes to a stiff abrupt stop. I've never had a square taper crank on a cartridge decelerate so rapidy. They usually spin and spin and take forever to come to a very "floaty" stop.
Careful with causing alarm because of your unfamiliarity. That looks perfectly normal for a GXP BB. As @TejanoTrackie stated, the cartridge bearing seals plus external dust seals cause quite a bit of drag, which is not noticeable when riding or detrimental in any meaningful way.

GXP bottom brackets have no reliable, simple adjustability on the bearing preload, which honestly kinda sucks. If the BB is a bit loose upon initial installation and torquing to ~40nm you can apply additional torque to a max value of 48-54nm to eliminate play by removing crankset, regreasing spindle, and tightening again. It's a lame design. Assuming you match BB shell width, BB, and crankset compatibility then you should be fine.
hockeyteeth is offline  
Old 08-21-14, 07:44 PM
  #11  
Wspsux
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,063

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DScience
Cool, so they must work well is what you're saying. I can dig it!
Yes, if I had to give any particular reason, the contours are very ergonomic
Wspsux is offline  
Old 08-22-14, 12:04 PM
  #12  
DScience
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hockeyteeth

GXP bottom brackets have no reliable, simple adjustability on the bearing preload, which honestly kinda sucks. If the BB is a bit loose upon initial installation and torquing to ~40nm you can apply additional torque to a max value of 48-54nm to eliminate play by removing crankset, regreasing spindle, and tightening again. It's a lame design. Assuming you match BB shell width, BB, and crankset compatibility then you should be fine.
I don't have a torque wrench, and installed the BB with a park bbt-9. Initially I thought I may have tightened the external bearings too tight, so I took the crank off and reinstalled everything. I can't say exactly how much force I used to tighten it, but it seems ok. There is no play in the crank arms.

Slight of using a torque wrench, is there any other way to ensure the BB is installed correctly? It's definitely an english bb, and the crank comes with the GXP, so hopefully it's fine.
DScience is offline  
Old 08-22-14, 05:52 PM
  #13  
hockeyteeth
Senior Member
 
hockeyteeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gnv, FL
Posts: 1,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DScience
I don't have a torque wrench, and installed the BB with a park bbt-9. Initially I thought I may have tightened the external bearings too tight, so I took the crank off and reinstalled everything. I can't say exactly how much force I used to tighten it, but it seems ok. There is no play in the crank arms.

Slight of using a torque wrench, is there any other way to ensure the BB is installed correctly? It's definitely an english bb, and the crank comes with the GXP, so hopefully it's fine.
Well, you should consider checking the torque on the bolt. If you have the bolt tightened appropriately and the bearings feel noticeably compressed then you would be wise to check your BB shell width and make sure it isn't more than 68mm, in which case you would have to face the BB down to the correct width.
hockeyteeth is offline  
Old 08-22-14, 07:39 PM
  #14  
DScience
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hockeyteeth
Well, you should consider checking the torque on the bolt. If you have the bolt tightened appropriately and the bearings feel noticeably compressed then you would be wise to check your BB shell width and make sure it isn't more than 68mm, in which case you would have to face the BB down to the correct width.
I used a cheap digital caliper to measure the bb, and it read about 68.12 mm, which I assume is from the layer of paint. Would .12 mm make a difference?
DScience is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 12:10 PM
  #15  
DScience
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Update:

Yesterday I assembled the bike, and the hardest thing was putting the tires on. OMG. Anyway, everything seems to be good and i'll take some detailed picks when it's done, but for now the only concern I have is the noise the chain is making via the cog. It's a KMC K710SL chain, white industries hub and cog. I checked the chainline with the omnium crank and both are at 42mm. Is this sound normal for a brand new drivetrain?

Last edited by DScience; 08-29-14 at 08:32 AM.
DScience is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 12:44 PM
  #16  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,862

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
At the risk of causing alarm, again, , that sounds nasty to me. New chain and perfect chain line, so my guess is something is amiss in the hub.
SquidPuppet is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 01:01 PM
  #17  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 20,490

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5872 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,055 Posts
I need another bike like I need the proverbial hole in a head. Still this is a really pretty bike.
bikemig is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 01:32 PM
  #18  
DScience
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
At the risk of causing alarm, again, , that sounds nasty to me. New chain and perfect chain line, so my guess is something is amiss in the hub.
I thought it indeed sounded nasty. However I just got back from my LBS and the guy didn't think there was anything wrong with the hub, and thought it wasn't anything abnormal; just chain noise. Also, it is not noticeable when riding and at high speeds it seems silent.

I dunno.

Last edited by DScience; 08-24-14 at 01:38 PM.
DScience is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 01:37 PM
  #19  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,862

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DScience
I thought it indeed sounded nasty. However I just got back from my LBS and the guy didn't think there was anything wrong with the hub, and thought it wasn't anything abnormal; just chain noise. Also, it is not noticeable when riding and oat high speeds seems silent.

I dunno.
Weird. How much slack is in the chain?
SquidPuppet is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 01:44 PM
  #20  
DScience
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been messing with the tension and have tried everything from very loose, to very tight and nothing makes a difference with the noise.
DScience is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 02:29 PM
  #21  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,862

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
IMO the guy at the shop is wrong. That noise is not normal. It should be silent. To me though, it doesn't sound like a chain issue. It has a rattlly quality. It is weird too that it is silent when you ride it. Odd for sure.
SquidPuppet is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 03:01 PM
  #22  
DScience
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
IMO the guy at the shop is wrong. That noise is not normal. It should be silent. To me though, it doesn't sound like a chain issue. It has a rattlly quality. It is weird too that it is silent when you ride it. Odd for sure.
White industries track hubs are relatively simple, that being an instruction manual to disassemble them. If there was a problem with the hub, are there any other signs or ways to diagnose it?

When I watch the video I posted it does sound like a rattle of some sort. But in person, it sounds more like a chain/cog noise. The 18t white industries 1/8 cog is HUGE and with the big chain I think that's what's causing it.

Last edited by DScience; 08-24-14 at 03:09 PM.
DScience is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 03:11 PM
  #23  
GENESTARWIND
Senior Member
 
GENESTARWIND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: las vegas
Posts: 1,940

Bikes: purty blue undefeated II 57cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
do you get any noise when spinning the wheel while holding it by the axel? or is this only a noise when on the bike and chain setup.
GENESTARWIND is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 03:24 PM
  #24  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,862

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DScience
White industries track hubs are relatively simple, that being an instruction manual to disassemble them. If there was a problem with the hub, are there any other signs or ways to diagnose it?

When I watch the video I posted it does sound like a rattle of some sort. But in person, it sounds more like a chain/cog noise. The 18t white industries 1/8 cog is HUGE and with the big chain I think that's what's causing it.
I have bikes with 3/32 rear sprockets and run a 1/8 chain. They have a lot of potential side to side slop, but when under pedaling torque the are dead quiet. And I have bikes with 3/32 + 3/32 set ups and zero noise.

Thinking out loud here...... Is your chain line 42mms because all the component literature says you will achieve that? Or did you actually measure it? I have had some components NOT produce what they advertised.
SquidPuppet is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 03:26 PM
  #25  
DScience
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GENESTARWIND
do you get any noise when spinning the wheel while holding it by the axel? or is this only a noise when on the bike and chain setup.
No, it's completely silent and spins smooth as butter.
DScience is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.