Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

UHM... Nearly 60 and bike shorts

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-11, 08:16 PM
kajero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't look like I am 21 anymore. So what kind of bike shorts are practical but kind of make me look a little better? Okay, so I am self-conscious. I just don't like everyone seeing my jiggling butte. Maybe I need tighter shorts?

Do you buy expensive bike shorts or less expensive? I have a fairly expensive pair ($70 is expensive for me) that I wear a lot but they are getting the fuzz balls in the crotch area. I have a pair of Giant bike shorts that I paid $30 for (they may have been on sale)and they are wonderfully comfortable and seem to be holding up very well.

What are some good bike short brands to look at that won't break the bank? Do the more expensive shorts have more padding in them? Are they a lot of advantages to buying the bike shorts that are over $100?
Old 04-21-11, 08:21 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Not necessarily more padding, but certainly better padding. I have a few pair of Sugoi shorts that I've had for several years, from the mid price to the higher price. I'll never buy any but the top price ones in the future. They are soooo much better.
I had some of the lowest price ones in the past, and you know what? you really do get what you pay for in this instance.
Old 04-21-11, 08:25 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Most of us guys around this forum wear bibs. I haven't worn shorts for 12 years. Much more comfortable. I wear the proper attire for the activity, same as I wear swimming trunks for swimming and tennis stuff, etc. This means Lycra - fitted tightly, so it doesn't bag. I am 71.5 years old.
Old 04-21-11, 08:56 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Keep cycling and you'll stop jiggling.
Old 04-21-11, 09:02 PM
nubikebuzz
no, the new new bike

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Comp 2001 Allez (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Generally speaking, I agree with the DnvrFox. I go to a gym regularly and don't think twice about my gym clothes, so why would cycling gear be any different?

However, there are times when a pair of mountain biking long shorts for example with the removable chamois liners blends with the crowd than the standard black lycra. Depends on your destination. Check out brands like Fox, North Face, etc, or just google "mountain bike shorts".
Old 04-21-11, 09:41 PM
gtragitt

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have some Pearl Izumi Ultra Bibs that were $150 at their outlet store. I bought some Performance Bicycle Ultra bibs on sale for about half of the price. The Performance Ultra bibs fit me a little better and are as comfortable. I believe the quality is as good. The Performance Elite series seems to have thicker padding, but I don't feel it is as good. I am not a fan of Performance bicycle, but I have had good luck with their shorts and bibs for many years.

I use these bibs on a Selle Italia SLR Carbonio saddle with great satisfaction, which many would consider a minimalist saddle.
Old 04-21-11, 11:36 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I used to go to a shop that had a good array of shorts and a changing room. I try all forms of clothing on before I buy. Prices and I started out paying £20 for shorts but like Denver- it wasn't long before I found the comfort of Bibbs. And It wasn't long before I found that £40 bibs are better than the cheap ones.

Then one day and I went to my LBS and they suggested Giordana Bibs instead of the proprietry ones I was wearing. Bought a pair and I am hooked. They are not the most expensive out there but the fit is far better. The material has that feel about it and NO-I do not have a fetish for silk underwear. First ride and the liner works efficiently and the butt felt far better after a long ride. Not much more expensive at £65 but money well worth spending.

Incidentally- I have been asked by following riders where I got the shorts and on one ride received Verbal sexual abuse from a few ladies about how Fit the butt looked. They mistook my 60 year old butt for something a lot younger.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-22-11, 12:10 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
60 is the new 30... +1 to the advice above. Get some quality bibs or shorts and ride lots! (For special occasions mtb shorts are okay but for real riding you need lycra.)
Old 04-22-11, 04:12 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nubikebuzz
Generally speaking, I agree with the DnvrFox. I go to a gym regularly and don't think twice about my gym clothes, so why would cycling gear be any different?
And I agree with the both of you.. In my humble old opinion, get what feels good to you, what works, and then just do it..
Old 04-22-11, 04:23 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
This is one of those individual things IMHO. I'm 65 and down 1" to 5'9" and weigh in at 190 lbs. No "love handles" just built like an NFL running back (minus the talent). I have a hard time getting bibs that fit both in the waist and for my height. I've used everything from PI to Castelli but have never gone high end to Assos. I have a pair of PI bibs with their "best" chamois and although they are OK they feel a bit too padded. On a whim (and because they were 80% off) I bought two pair of PI Tri-bibs with fairly thin chamois. These are by far my favorites. I think it's like saddles. You are just going to have to do the trial and error thing for comfort and appearance.
Old 04-22-11, 04:39 AM
gear

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Switch to MBT shorts, you get the padded undershort under baggy outer shorts.
Old 04-22-11, 04:54 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a full array of Giordana. I use thier regular shorts (not Bibs) but the Knickers I have are Bibs. I prefer non-bib shorts because they are cooler.
Old 04-22-11, 05:46 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Most of us guys around this forum wear bibs.
Has there been a poll on this? I don't go around pulling up other guy's jerseys but I'd be willing to bet the other way.

The bottom line is whatever makes you comfortable. If you feel self-conscious in bibs or in regular bike shorts, get yourself some mountain bike shorts. Bicycling is kind of a goofy activity. No matter what you do, lycra shorts or baggy, shave your legs or don't shave, style of bike, road shoes or SPDs, there is a group of folks who are going to laugh at you so pleasing them is impossible. Do whatever it takes to make yourself happy and let it go.
Old 04-22-11, 06:01 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Has there been a poll on this? I don't go around pulling up other guy's jerseys but I'd be willing to bet the other way.

The bottom line is whatever makes you comfortable. If you feel self-conscious in bibs or in regular bike shorts, get yourself some mountain bike shorts. Bicycling is kind of a goofy activity. No matter what you do, lycra shorts or baggy, shave your legs or don't shave, style of bike, road shoes or SPDs, there is a group of folks who are going to laugh at you so pleasing them is impossible. Do whatever it takes to make yourself happy and let it go.
Yes, there has been a poll -

I found it, and I am incorrect. MOre shorts than bibs. Sorry about that. I remembered it differently.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ight=bibs+poll

Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-22-11 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-22-11, 06:43 AM
CHAS

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't worry about how you look. We become invisible at 50.
But what is comfortable and ride.
The women and some men that are dressed like tramps will get the attention and derision.
Old 04-22-11, 06:45 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by gear
Switch to MBT shorts, you get the padded undershort under baggy outer shorts.
+1 I started out with MTB shorts and still like them for shorter rides when I want to spiff things up for a stop at an upscale restaurant. If you get serious about riding you may want to switch over to standard shorts or bibs since the padding is better. By then you won't care about what others think.
Old 04-22-11, 07:19 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Yes, there has been a poll -

I found it, and I am incorrect. MOre shorts than bibs. Sorry about that. I remembered it differently.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ight=bibs+poll
Yeah, but they might be lying. The only way to know for sure is the jersey pulling thing. There's also the question of whether they are wearing undies.
Old 04-22-11, 07:32 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Yeah, but they might be lying. The only way to know for sure is the jersey pulling thing. There's also the question of whether they are wearing undies.
Let's just leave that one uncovered, and, yes, untouched.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-22-11 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-22-11, 07:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Since I ride a recumbent, high prices attire is not necessary. T-shirts mostly obtained from club rides and sweat shorts that I buy at a local sporting goods store work just fine. BTW the sweat shorts are $15 or less on sale. For the fully kitted roadies am I stylish-------nope not at all. But at 72 I really dont really care what other people think. I am comfortable and these clothes dont cost an arm and a leg.
Old 04-22-11, 07:44 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by rydabent
Since I ride a recumbent, high prices attire is not necessary. T-shirts mostly obtained from club rides and sweat shorts that I buy at a local sporting goods store work just fine. I really dont really care what other people think. I am comfortable and these clothes dont cost an arm and a leg.
How do you carry your car keys and such?

I ended up buying some real recumbent clothing (at arm and leg prices) because I kept dropping my car keys and cell phone. It was a great training program - for the folks riding behind me. They'd pick up the stuff that I had dropped and sprint to catch up with me to give it back.
Old 04-22-11, 08:22 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts

Aint that the truth. Bibs or shorts....hmmmmmm. Do bibs come in denim? I've been wearing my blue denim baggy "painter" shorts for years. I may pop for a new, flashy neon-like jersey so I dont look totally redneck this year.
Old 04-22-11, 09:39 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like Pearl Izumi shorts and bibs. I bought a pair of Performance bibs last year on sale, liked them, so I bought a pair of PI Elite bibs. I think I will buy another pair in May for this summer.

The material in more expensive shorts feels better, but the real benefit is the insert/chamios is better. That said, Performance is not a bad way to go for less expensive shorts.

As for how you look, as you ride more, you will grow to be more concerned about the feel on the bike, not how others look at you.
Old 04-22-11, 09:41 AM
SPlKE 

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
The Pearl Izumi "sensor" (I think) shorts are the most comfortable to me.
Old 04-22-11, 09:51 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, if you are wearing lycra and you are a bit plump, there ain't no solution. But in my expience, the more expensive shorts with multiple panels, tend to hold better shape and to improve the wearer's shape.

If that isn't enough, you could wear the more modest mountain bike shorts.
Old 04-22-11, 10:03 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff
If you get serious about riding you may want to switch over to standard shorts or bibs since the padding is better. By then you won't care about what others think.
Darn right! I'm just out there getting exercise, wearing activity-specific clothing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.