Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 09:35 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
Indeed... Is that your Lenton Sports all fixed up?
Here is the photo to which you allude:

I haven't really ridden it yet... just a couple miles. Cool period correct mudguards that might be too fragile to ride this time of year (they get brittle in the cold) sso perhaps I should change to metal. Haven't actually attached the taillight, either.
Old 12-09-11, 10:09 PM
yellowbarber
porc, pâtisserie & piment

Bikes: 1830 Claude Chevrier Strad model, 1915 Gibson A, 1929 Cuesnon/Beuscher Stainer model, Phil Davidson 2pt mandolin, 1970 JW Gallagher G-50, ca1920 Favilla Brothers grand concert, 2005 Swift Folder, '97 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
allright now....that is a sweet ride
Originally Posted by rhm

I haven't really ridden it yet... just a couple miles. Cool period correct mudguards that might be too fragile to ride this time of year (they get brittle in the cold) sso perhaps I should change to metal. Haven't actually attached the taillight, either.
Old 12-09-11, 11:31 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts

That is beautiful, RHM Very much so.
Old 12-10-11, 06:48 AM
oldroads
OldBikeGuide.com

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
1969 Raleigh Sports with the Benelux Cyclo derailleur conversion and a leather Brook B-15 saddle.

Old 12-10-11, 02:44 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm

We can forgive you for needing that extra gear.

In other news... my friend is clearing out his garage and I think I am getting a Moulton F frame (complete) and he has lots of extra bits.
Old 12-10-11, 07:30 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Moulton F-frames are cool. They are the height of bicycle design; after that, things stopped getting better.

I need an extra rear rack, if he has one!

In fact, Sixtyfiver, perhaps you're the man who could make me one? I have the piece of steel that mounts into the frame; the rest is gone. Interested? If so, please contact me privately.
Old 12-10-11, 07:36 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by rhm
Moulton F-frames are cool. They are the height of bicycle design; after that, things stopped getting better.

I need an extra rear rack, if he has one!

In fact, Sixtyfiver, perhaps you're the man who could make me one? I have the piece of steel that mounts into the frame; the rest is gone. Interested? If so, please contact me privately.
pm sent... may very well be a spare rack is his trove of parts too.
Old 12-11-11, 08:10 AM
55 Traveler

Bikes: Schwinn: Twinn Sport, Super Sport and Suburban. Raleigh Grand Prix, Competition, and Super Course, plus New Clubman.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
English via Chicago

Hi All, new poster here.

I hope a Schwinn 3 speed is allowed. It seems much in the spirit. This was my Dad's 75 Suburban. I could never get the 5 speed to drop down into low for hills, so I excised a couple of gears from it.

I found a 36 hole AW and laced them up with the usual CR18 rims. B66 cost more than the bike did new, but it is a lifetime investment!

The 22" frame is a little small but works well enough with a long seat post.

Regards,
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
suburb close.jpg (102.1 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg
lighthouse.jpg (98.4 KB, 115 views)
Old 12-11-11, 09:18 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by oldroads
1969 Raleigh Sports with the Benelux Cyclo derailleur conversion and a leather Brook B-15 saddle.

Love the composition of this picture.....what kind of bars are those?

Also, I have been noting the vast differences in seat angle across the pictures in this thread - tilted forward like here, tilted back like 55 Traveller's Schwinn, and varying degrees of level.....is it truly "whatever is comfortable"?

Mark
Old 12-11-11, 06:23 PM
55 Traveler

Bikes: Schwinn: Twinn Sport, Super Sport and Suburban. Raleigh Grand Prix, Competition, and Super Course, plus New Clubman.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900
Also, I have been noting the vast differences in seat angle across the pictures in this thread - tilted forward like here, tilted back like 55 Traveller's Schwinn, and varying degrees of level.....is it truly "whatever is comfortable"?

Mark
The next "click" down on that seat is dead flat but it felt like I was sliding downhill. I think it is "whats comfortable", but I usually rely on whether it feels "neutral", neither sliding forward nor backwards. I think the best angle can vary with other factors. for example, I've notice a lot of fixies with very low handlebars and the seats tend to be a little downward at the front. This probably makes sense with a really low torso angle.

Regards,
David
Old 12-11-11, 07:33 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Saddle position / tilt is a highly personal choice and think most seek a neutral position... find that with a B17 or other saddles designed for upright riding having the nose up a degree works best to give me that while my racier saddles get a level set up.
Old 12-11-11, 10:53 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
65-er - I agree - I find without the slight tilt backward the pressure points are too sharp when sitting more upright, and like 55-traveler I feel like I'm sliding downhill. Its just that with all the photos in this thread the variety of setups is interesting!

Mark
Old 12-12-11, 01:41 PM
Super.bee

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone tried a s3x hub in an old Sports frame? Looks like there's a 5mm difference in OLD, the hub being wider than the dropouts.

This is interesting to me both as a slippery weather bike and also, perhaps, with a freewheel screwed on and a derailer.. kind of a modern-day cyclo kit...

Was 3 spd fixed ever an option on a bike like the Sports or was it really found only on road/racing frames?
Old 12-12-11, 02:01 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

65-er - I agree - I find without the slight tilt backward the pressure points are too sharp when sitting more upright, and like 55-traveler I feel like I'm sliding downhill. Its just that with all the photos in this thread the variety of setups is interesting!

Mark
If you check out "My Bicycles" at my blog you'd see that, of the bikes I have posted that there is some variances between saddle angles on bicycles that all share some pretty common measurements when it comes to fit.

If the bike tends to lean toward more aggressive riding the saddle will be level or even tilted down a notch and for bikes that are for longer and more leisurely rides the noses are ticked up just a little.

I did change the saddle angle on my '51 CCM shortly after I took this picture as I was in the process of dialing this in as erectile dysfunction in a saddle can cause other types of erectile dysfunction.

Old 12-12-11, 02:08 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Super.bee
Has anyone tried a s3x hub in an old Sports frame? Looks like there's a 5mm difference in OLD, the hub being wider than the dropouts.

This is interesting to me both as a slippery weather bike and also, perhaps, with a freewheel screwed on and a derailer.. kind of a modern-day cyclo kit...

Was 3 spd fixed ever an option on a bike like the Sports or was it really found only on road/racing frames?
The ASC is in itself a very rare hub and as far as I know was never offered on the Raleigh Sports which was typically fitted with the AW save for that brief period when they tried replacing this with the SW in '57 which was a failure... the AW returned in '58.

Have test ridden the S3X and liked it a good deal... would probably be a fine upgrade or refit to a Sports and would appeal to those who abhor coasting.
Old 12-12-11, 03:13 PM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 55 Traveler
Hi All, new poster here.

I hope a Schwinn 3 speed is allowed. It seems much in the spirit. This was my Dad's 75 Suburban. I could never get the 5 speed to drop down into low for hills, so I excised a couple of gears from it.

I found a 36 hole AW and laced them up with the usual CR18 rims. B66 cost more than the bike did new, but it is a lifetime investment!

The 22" frame is a little small but works well enough with a long seat post.

Regards,
David
I don't know if it's allowed, but it's here and I enjoyed seeing it even if slightly off topic.
Old 12-12-11, 05:03 PM
Fenway

Bikes: 1983 Peugeot UO14, KHS Green-Heavily modified, 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27" (work in progress)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2011/1...ght-solutions/
https://www.compasscycle.com/Lighting.html

Drop in LED replacement bulbs with built in stand-lights for vintage tail lights are now available in the US! =)

For those of you unaware of the drop in LED headlight bulbs (without standlight) see https://www.home.earthlink.net/~stein...erchandise.htm

Last edited by Fenway; 12-12-11 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Added more details
Old 12-12-11, 05:05 PM
Super.bee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
The ASC is in itself a very rare hub and as far as I know was never offered on the Raleigh Sports which was typically fitted with the AW save for that brief period when they tried replacing this with the SW in '57 which was a failure... the AW returned in '58.
Interesting history, thank you. I wonder if it is more forgivable - or less - to create such a machine knowing that it's not a redux...

Have test ridden the S3X and liked it a good deal... would probably be a fine upgrade or refit to a Sports and would appeal to those who abhor coasting.
Thank you again, glad to hear it, I am looking forward to trying it but had not found the right bike / opportunity. So how 'tragic' would it be to cold-set an old 3-speed 5mm? The machine in question is a 60s Royal. I have heard of broken axles at the clutch key slot if I try to spring the dropouts open (misaligned ends), but don't know if that's an overstated risk. Anyone?

EDIT: Sorry, I realize I originally / inaccurately said 'Sports'. I guess I was thinking in terms of 'type'.

Last edited by Super.bee; 12-12-11 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 12-12-11, 05:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
It's fine to do that, Super.bee. Just do it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-12-11, 05:40 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Fenway
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2011/1...ght-solutions/
https://www.compasscycle.com/Lighting.html

Drop in LED replacement bulbs with built in stand-lights for vintage lights are now available in the US! =)
I am waiting for someone to offer a replacement for the front lights (with some decent output) although that rear replacement is pretty sweet.
Old 12-12-11, 06:18 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Well dangit...

Confirmed that I am indeed getting a complete, albeit disassembled Moulton F series and can also get some nice alloy rims at a fair price but the dang thing comes with an SA FW and not an AW so no three speed love here.

Won't see it until I get back from Portlandia... might be a while until I get it all put together and if it needs a repaint will powder coat it at the shop.
Old 12-12-11, 06:44 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I am waiting for someone to offer a replacement for the front lights (with some decent output) although that rear replacement is pretty sweet.
Have you seen these here? LED Bulb Conversion: https://www.home.earthlink.net/~stein...erchandise.htm

It is supposed to be for headlights, or maybe you already saw it and deemed it inadequate.
Old 12-12-11, 10:51 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by photogravity
Have you seen these here? LED Bulb Conversion: https://www.home.earthlink.net/~stein...erchandise.htm

It is supposed to be for headlights, or maybe you already saw it and deemed it inadequate.
Am waiting for someone to offer a better quality 2W LED... at 1w and 50 lumens that is pretty weak while something akin to a modern 2W Cree bulb will match a 10 Watt halogen and provide around 200 lumens of light.

Good for a tail light but not quite enough for a headlight
Old 12-13-11, 02:07 PM
Super.bee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, thanks Sixty-Fiver and noglider for the encouragement! Pics to follow, will gather wheelbuilding supplies...
Old 12-19-11, 10:27 AM
oldroads
OldBikeGuide.com

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Love the composition of this picture.....what kind of bars are those?

Mark
Stock Raleigh handlebars, turned upside down.
A very old trick...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.