Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-18, 01:51 PM
BigChief

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
I've often wondered if a 21"stepthrough fork was the same as a 23" mens frame fork. Never tried it, would like to know.Although some stepthroughs are 19 1/2" But, would the paint match? I'm still thinking that you could swap just the chrome crown cap, but again I don't know for certain. Do you have cable cutters? You'll need them to modify cables. Not a big deal. 15 bucks or 25 for the nicer Park Tool.
Old 02-03-18, 02:23 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
@johnnyspaghetti

Don't lose that threaded ferrule or the housing. Even if the inner cable is toast, the other bits are worth saving.
Old 02-03-18, 03:15 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Bikes: Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I've often wondered if a 21"stepthrough fork was the same as a 23" mens frame fork. Never tried it, would like to know.Although some stepthroughs are 19 1/2" But, would the paint match? I'm still thinking that you could swap just the chrome crown cap, but again I don't know for certain. Do you have cable cutters? You'll need them to modify cables. Not a big deal. 15 bucks or 25 for the nicer Park Tool.
I think I can get the paint to come back. The fork has the Sir Walter decals on each side that are amazingly still good. I have cut & crimped many cables. I'll go down that road when i get there.

Last edited by johnnyspaghetti; 02-03-18 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-03-18, 05:08 PM
BigChief

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti
I think I can get the paint to come back. The fork has the Sir Walter decals on each side that are amazingly still good. I have cut & crimped many cables. I'll go down that road when i get there.

I'd love to hear if the crown cap from the 58 fits the later fork if you go that way. It would be another goody for my bag of tricks!
Old 02-04-18, 07:13 PM
jon.612

Bikes: '78 Raleigh Competition GS, 63 Raleigh Sports, '34 Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spring is getting closer, and the parts are starting to come together on the '34 Raleigh Sports. It's starting to get more expensive as I locate more authentic parts and ditch the place holders that I've had from the start, but the bike keeps getting better - at least on paper. I have yet to get out in the garage for any meaningful assembly time. I've found a Raleigh fluted crank from the 30's-40's era as well as some 26x1-1/4" tires (tyres) - they are somewhat wrong in that they are going on Westrick rims - they should be Endricks and 650B, not 650A, but some things are difficult to come by. I have a K hub waiting for the right rims to come along. This'll be a long term project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
34 sports.jpg (285.3 KB, 197 views)
Old 02-04-18, 08:39 PM
BigChief

Looks like they used the same frame for both the Sports and Sports Light Roadster. You could go either way. The roadster version used 650A Endricks. Here's a link to the 1934 catalog:
https://veterancycleclublibrary.org.u...20Library).pdf
Old 02-04-18, 10:14 PM
jamesj

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 25 Posts
So I just did my first tear down of a hub on my 3 speed. The hub was from 79 and I figured it was time for a tear down since the bearings were running very gritty. The inside was pretty clean but I did do a full tear down. I got it back together and it works perfectly.

The only thing I noticed is that on the sprocket side I have some play in the sprocket area, when adjusting it tighter it binds. I also adjusted the non drive side and do have some play overall on the hub. I adjusted as best I could. I even have the tiny sturmy archer hub adjustment tool to fit on that cone and I still get some play. Is this normal?

Here is a video of the drive side.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesl...in/dateposted/
Old 02-05-18, 04:54 AM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jon.612
Spring is getting closer, and the parts are starting to come together on the '34 Raleigh Sports. It's starting to get more expensive as I locate more authentic parts and ditch the place holders that I've had from the start, but the bike keeps getting better - at least on paper. I have yet to get out in the garage for any meaningful assembly time. I've found a Raleigh fluted crank from the 30's-40's era as well as some 26x1-1/4" tires (tyres) - they are somewhat wrong in that they are going on Westrick rims - they should be Endricks and 650B, not 650A, but some things are difficult to come by. I have a K hub waiting for the right rims to come along. This'll be a long term project.
Interesting angular on that frame. and you are local.
Old 02-05-18, 05:35 AM
BigChief

Originally Posted by jamesj
So I just did my first tear down of a hub on my 3 speed. The hub was from 79 and I figured it was time for a tear down since the bearings were running very gritty. The inside was pretty clean but I did do a full tear down. I got it back together and it works perfectly.

The only thing I noticed is that on the sprocket side I have some play in the sprocket area, when adjusting it tighter it binds. I also adjusted the non drive side and do have some play overall on the hub. I adjusted as best I could. I even have the tiny sturmy archer hub adjustment tool to fit on that cone and I still get some play. Is this normal?

You do want to leave some play in the hub bearings. More than you would on the bottom bracket or headset. That looks like a bit too much, but it's hard to say. There's times where I thought I set the cones perfectly, but when I mounted the wheel in the frame, it flopped side to side too much and I had to readjust. I think the best way to adjust them is to mount the wheel in the frame and wiggle the rim side to side. You can be more accurate that way. You don't want it tight, you want a bit of play there. If you have a second little SA cone spanner, you can leave the wheel in the frame while you make the adjustment and only have to loosen the axle nut.
Old 02-05-18, 06:18 AM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to hear if the crown cap from the 58 fits the later fork if you go that way. It would be another goody for my bag of tricks!
I have this frame striped out. Its a nice straight 23" DL22L. Breaks my heart the frame is good.

Who wants it? It is bare other than the drive side BB race cup that may or may not be any good. I just bagged the spindle & balls & cup with only a glance the drive side spindle race looking questionable. It does have the spring cap oiler port.

I have not done the headset on the other Robin Hood as of yet and the forks appear identical the only difference being the drop outs barrel end VS blade end. The crown cap dropped out nicely when I knocked the the lower race off. I am 99% sure they will swap right out. The frame necks measure out 6-9/16" + or - 0.100 between the 4-23" Raleigh built frames I have. I sold off the 1960 DL22L 23" about 3 weeks ago I will assume it would measure consistent with that.
I know you like to see little differences between the years hear is one you may be aware of on the rear of the chain cover. The bent 1969 cover is cut round on the rear mount as the 1958 comes to a point with a raised dimple & the decals have a very slight difference.

1958a.jpg

Last edited by johnnyspaghetti; 02-05-18 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-05-18, 07:02 AM
BigChief

I wasn't aware of 23" stepthroughs. I've only seen 19 1/2 and 21. And there's the problem. I've noticed on this thread that the 3 speeders here tend to be riders more than collectors and don't have much use for a bike that doesn't fit them. On top of that, we seem to be almost exclusively grown men who, on average, are too tall for the smaller frames. That leaves tall framed bikes at a premium. Since bikes are meant to be ridden, it only makes sense to cannibalize less useful bikes to keep more useful bikes on the road. Thanks for the chainguard tip. I'll take a closer look at them.

Last edited by BigChief; 02-05-18 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-05-18, 10:02 AM
Super.bee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
23" step thrus

I salvaged a black 23" Robin Hood step through frame fork and chain guard that I found in a scrap metal bin. It had a shop label from Chicago and a bike registration sticker from Wichita I think. I added salvaged fenders and wheels and rode it for a couple years before selling. I'm 6'-0" and it was a nicer fit than the 21's I otherwise have but it was time to make room for a new project. I'll see if I have any photos.
Old 02-05-18, 10:09 AM
Super.bee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tear down

Originally Posted by jamesj

May I ask what degreaser you're using? I've just opened one up for first time in years. I have it a good soak in WD-40 before opening, and that really loosened chunks of old oil. But some still clings. I'd like to avoid extensive brushing or wiping if possible. I have a number of hubs I'd like to overhaul - there's always someone throwing away old aw hub rusty rimmed wheels and it seems like a waste to not at least pick the hubs for some happier future use.
Old 02-05-18, 11:03 AM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wasn't aware of 23" stepthroughs. I've only seen 19 1/2 and 21. And there's the problem. I've noticed on this thread that the 3 speeders here tend to be riders more than collectors and don't have much use for a bike that doesn't fit them. On top of that, we seem to be almost exclusively grown men who, on average, are too tall for the smaller frames. That leaves tall framed bikes at a premium. Since bikes are meant to be ridden, it only makes sense to cannibalize less useful bikes to keep more useful bikes on the road. Thanks for the chainguard tip. I'll take a closer look at them.
This is what this frame measured center of crank to top of seat post tube.
Am I doing that right?

The other bike I picked up at the same time for another $20 a 1970 AMF Herc. has some oddities to it & has a 5-3/4" frame neck. That one is getting part-ed out as well. Let me ask this.

Will 26 x 1-1/4" tires swap with 26 X 1-3/8" 37-590?

Last edited by johnnyspaghetti; 02-05-18 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 12:54 PM
BigChief

I never paid enough attention to 70s catalogs. 23" DL22L is not mentioned in catalogs up to 1970. I don't have access to a 71 catalog, but it does appear in the 1972 catalog. Those are Raleigh catalogs. Don't know about the Robin Hood line.
Old 02-05-18, 02:26 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti
Will 26 x 1-1/4" tires swap with 26 X 1-3/8" 37-590?
26 x 1 1/4 is usually = EA1/597mm wheels, so, no. I have seen some odd markings on tires over the years, so the ISO number (e.g., 590, 597) is the best guide.
Old 02-05-18, 03:14 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
26 x 1 1/4 is usually = EA1/597mm wheels, so, no. I have seen some odd markings on tires over the years, so the ISO number (e.g., 590, 597) is the best guide.
Thanks, I have a good set of 597's. EA1, I'll keep that in mind. That's what I thought.
Old 02-05-18, 04:35 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
Bad Memory Time! Which side of a Raleigh DL1 front wheel has the so called fixed side? It seems to make sense it would be the drive side? Why they built axles without lock nuts is just weird.
Old 02-05-18, 05:47 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
Bad Memory Time! Which side of a Raleigh DL1 front wheel has the so called fixed side? It seems to make sense it would be the drive side? Why they built axles without lock nuts is just weird.
Yup, the non-drive side is where the adjustable cone should be.
Old 02-05-18, 07:47 PM
BigChief

The way I always remembered is, both wheel bearings adjust on the left side. On the rear hub, you do screw the cone down and back it off, but you can't get a fine adjustment because the cone is fixed to the axle flat by that special washer, so the final adjustment is done on the non drive side same as the front wheel.
Old 02-05-18, 08:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,480 Times in 1,439 Posts
@BigChief, that's a great mnemonic. Now I can remember it forever.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-06-18, 06:56 AM
thms

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
I hope it's OK to ask my specific question in this thread.

Although I'm riding a "vintage" MTB this thread is on my subscription list because I really like the look and the "aura" of the bike you're showing here.

Unfortunately in Germany you see a Raleigh Sports on ebay once in a blue moon (no need to talk about the Schwinns or Robin Hoods).

So, do you know if there's a pendant for continental Europe? Since Sturmey Archer is very rare here I would say that these would use a Fichtel Sachs (Torpedo) IGH. I only finde bikes like these but the're lacking the elegance of the Raleighs:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...08030-217-9505

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...73100-217-8190
Old 02-06-18, 07:22 AM
BigChief

Originally Posted by thms
Hi,
I hope it's OK to ask my specific question in this thread.

Although I'm riding a "vintage" MTB this thread is on my subscription list because I really like the look and the "aura" of the bike you're showing here.

Unfortunately in Germany you see a Raleigh Sports on ebay once in a blue moon (no need to talk about the Schwinns or Robin Hoods).

So, do you know if there's a pendant for continental Europe? Since Sturmey Archer is very rare here I would say that these would use a Fichtel Sachs (Torpedo) IGH. I only finde bikes like these but the're lacking the elegance of the Raleighs:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...08030-217-9505

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...73100-217-8190
Those bikes are relatively modern. I have seen fine looking vintage bikes from continental Europe, but they tend to be older than these.
edit:
Quite a few can be seen here:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/hub_gear_roadsters/pool/

Last edited by BigChief; 02-06-18 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-06-18, 07:51 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 526 Posts
Time for tires for Roadster#2. Any recommendations for 40-635 tires? (28x1 1/2"). I'm located in Canada.
I really like Schwalbe's cruiser tires in 635x42
Old 02-06-18, 02:06 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 983 Posts
This is pretty sweet!

World Championship Raleigh: Jeff Bock Lake Pepin Rider | Cycle EXIF

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP RALEIGH: JEFF BOCK LAKE PEPIN RIDER

One of Ohio’s most esteemed frame builders, Jeff Bock, is a self-confessed Raleigh addict. After a long stint working in shops that were Raleigh dealers and participating in last year’s Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour, he decided to build one of his own.

The geometry, based on an early ‘60s Raleigh Superbe, was tweaked to accommodate 650b wheels, and the lugs and BB shell were cut from blanks, inspired by the old Prugnat lug set. He also built the front and rear racks with 4130, 5/16 inch diameter tubing.

The original Superbe paint scheme of Bronze Green was maintained, with box lining by John Parker (with a brush), but the real star is the rear hub: a 1953 Sturmey Archer unit with an alloy shell, which had sat in a bin at his shop for decades, waiting for this build.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.