Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-18, 05:56 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
I've never seen anything other than wire with chrome as well

Can we see pics of this chrome Sports?
Old 03-15-18, 08:32 AM
BigChief

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by arty dave
For sale in Australia - Vintage American made '71 Schwinn 3 speed in great condition for approx US$2300. Lots of NOS parts. This has been for sale for quite some time now; what are your opinions? I'm totally not interested in buying, just wondering what it's actually worth.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-...oAAOSwR6RaCWbD
gotta be a typo
Old 03-15-18, 09:02 AM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by arty dave
For sale in Australia - Vintage American made '71 Schwinn 3 speed in great condition for approx US$2300. Lots of NOS parts. This has been for sale for quite some time now; what are your opinions? I'm totally not interested in buying, just wondering what it's actually worth.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-...oAAOSwR6RaCWbD
I am thinking you could buy 8 to 10 of them here in Canada for that kind of money!
Old 03-15-18, 09:39 AM
BigChief

Originally Posted by clubman
I've never seen anything other than wire with chrome as well

Can we see pics of this chrome Sports?
+1 I'd love to see pics also. As far as decals, you're in luck with the 66. They're all available. The new ones are vinyl transfers and are much more durable than the old factory varnish transfers. No need to clear coat. The 20-30 badge and the gold and black strips are peel and press on stickers, but the heron for the seat tube and rear fender,the small herons for the forks, the large serif font Raleigh for the chainguard and the 50s style Raleigh Sports for the downtube are all vinyl transfers.

Last edited by BigChief; 03-15-18 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-15-18, 03:40 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Bikes: Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The AW hub is stamped 62 from the guy that had it in an airplane hanger and definitely a fine survivor a Western Flyer Tourist 20" The chrome & paint are stellar except for the headlights which are genuinely bad assed. He had it sent it to me from 50 miles away and the guy said send me pictures when your finished. His driver wouldn't take any money for the bike or gas. This was on a CL ad with no pictures.

western3.JPG

western5.JPG

Last edited by johnnyspaghetti; 03-15-18 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-15-18, 03:56 PM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
gotta be a typo
browngw - I am thinking you could buy 8 to 10 of them here in Canada for that kind of money!

Yeah it seems like crazy $ to me. I could buy 5 in Canada and have them shipped here for that money The owner must have sunk some $ into it to be asking that much - "Careful lengthy measures have been taken in the restoration/rebuild using authentic NOS (New Old Stock) ORIGINAL parts. There are NO cheap inferior re-pop (reproduction) or aftermarket components/parts used on this bike,-right down to the bearings."

If you're lucky you could buy a sports here for about AU$100, but I've more often seem them sitting around AU$200. The AU$340 I paid for my DL-1 is the most I've ever spent on a bike But I love the ride quality more than any other bike I have, so it's been totally worth it. The 50's Aussie/English Speedwell roadster I picked up for $100, but I will need to put a little $ into it to get it on the road.
Old 03-15-18, 04:38 PM
BigChief

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti
The AW hub is stamped 62 from the guy that had it in an airplane hanger and definitely a fine survivor a Western Flyer Tourist 20" The chrome & paint are stellar except for the headlights which are genuinely bad assed. He had it sent it to me from 50 miles away and the guy said send me pictures when your finished. His driver wouldn't take any money for the bike or gas. This was on a CL ad with no pictures.
This bike has the same white grips with finger notches that came on Raleigh Sports. These are harder to find. Most of the "other brands" Raleigh made came with the plain round grips. Again, we see pre-Raleigh Hercules style fenders with the large central rib and long aluminum tip at the front.
Old 03-15-18, 04:54 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Bikes: Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This bike has the same white grips with finger notches that came on Raleigh Sports. These are harder to find. Most of the "other brands" Raleigh made came with the plain round grips. Again, we see pre-Raleigh Hercules style fenders with the large central rib and long aluminum tip at the front.
I can't believe how clean & straight this one is. Has the bb oiler & barrel end fork and the red strip on the fender is a very hard to read Port of something NE license

western 7.JPG
Old 03-15-18, 09:08 PM
Super.bee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 I'd love to see pics also. As far as decals, you're in luck with the 66. They're all available. The new ones are vinyl transfers and are much more durable than the old factory varnish transfers. No need to clear coat. The 20-30 badge and the gold and black strips are peel and press on stickers, but the heron for the seat tube and rear fender,the small herons for the forks, the large serif font Raleigh for the chainguard and the 50s style Raleigh Sports for the downtube are all vinyl transfers.
Thanks for the info. I'll try to get some photos tomorrow. It's in a little bit of a sad state but it's not right for me to talk about it on here w/o photos!

I was able to score a NOS serifed chrome chain guard (original was missing) from Dave Perry at Bike Works NYC when he was on Ridge St. Nice shop, seemed like a great place to take a three speed or other transportation bike. The chainguard is currently the nicest part of the bike.

What are your decal sources?
Old 03-15-18, 10:32 PM
Chaser95

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports, 1980 Lotus Excelle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two 62 Western Flyers in so short a time! What are the chances?
Old 03-16-18, 03:29 AM
BigChief

Originally Posted by Super.bee
Thanks for the info. I'll try to get some photos tomorrow. It's in a little bit of a sad state but it's not right for me to talk about it on here w/o photos!

I was able to score a NOS serifed chrome chain guard (original was missing) from Dave Perry at Bike Works NYC when he was on Ridge St. Nice shop, seemed like a great place to take a three speed or other transportation bike. The chainguard is currently the nicest part of the bike.

What are your decal sources?
H LLoyd in the UK is excellent quality
https://h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com/

also Velocals
VeloCals bicycle decals - Quality, Durable, Ultra-thin

edit: keep in mind, except for the peel and stick 20-30 and gold strips, these are vinyl transfers, not waterslide. (far better)

Last edited by BigChief; 03-16-18 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-17-18, 01:22 PM
BigChief

Good looking tall 53 Sports in Connecticut. Silly to only post 2 NDS photos with huge saddlebags. Leaves unanswered questions. Still, the first good looking 50s Sports I've seen in a while.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-195...4AAOSwVExaqSBT
Old 03-19-18, 11:31 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
univega Tri Star completed

Here are the pictures of the Tri Star after its make over
The paint was very good on the frame so I left it. I clear coated the fenders and chain guard though. It adds some sparkle to an already good looking bike.
Other items :
New Schwinn handle bars. They were a little wider and much better chrome.
r/r head set bearings
Replaced the steel front wheel with an aluminum one – polished the rim and hub
Replaced the original rear wheel which was very dented with the wheel from it’s twin , the blue Tri Star
( more about that bike later)
New cables and white cable covers
Polished metal pedals (for more bling)
New 1 1/8 x 27 gum wall tires and tubes
Cleaned and polished original side pull brakes
New brake pads ( kool Stop’s at front wheel.)
Polished Pletcher rack and kick stand.
I would really like to swap out the rear 20 tooth cog for a 24 tooth as the bike as built has ridiculously high gearing with a 48 tooth chain ring and 1st gear only suitable for level terrain or very slightly uphill riding and 2nd and 3rd only useful if you want to go downhill much faster than the brakes can stop you .

I originally put a single speed freewheel on the blue Tri Star but now I decided to change it out for an old Shimano Crane derailleur and a wide ratio 5 speed freewheel (14-32 teeth) which should make it much more useful. I could swap out the bars for drops and loose the fenders but I think I would rather keep the classic townie look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2627.jpg (1.21 MB, 181 views)
IMG_2628.jpg (1.36 MB, 181 views)
IMG_2629.jpg (1.26 MB, 179 views)
IMG_2630.jpg (1.02 MB, 181 views)
IMG_2631.jpg (1.26 MB, 181 views)
IMG_2632.jpg (1.23 MB, 187 views)

Last edited by capnjonny; 03-19-18 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-19-18, 03:18 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
A Lesson Learned

It occurred to me the other day that I had never had the bottom bracket apart on my Robin Hood or had any idea of its condition. The bike still looks almost new after 47 years. The chap who I purchased it from had mentioned he "greased all the bearings" and to his credit he had, BUT he did not mention the hammering and drilling to get the cotter out! When I went to check it the cotters came out fairly easy but the drive side was not the right taper, was showing wear and there were what looked like drill marks on the BB axle. The bearing was not smooth feeling but it was just a little crud had fallen in the grease and adjustment. I carefully blued and filed a new cotter, replaced the grease and adjusted the bearing. All is well.
I think from now on I will check everything at the start, not three years later!
Attached Images
DSC_0960[1].jpg (924.3 KB, 172 views)
DSC_0961[1].jpg (835.3 KB, 172 views)
DSC_0964[1].jpg (688.5 KB, 169 views)
DSC_0965[1].jpg (616.2 KB, 168 views)
Old 03-19-18, 05:34 PM
BigChief

Originally Posted by capnjonny
Here are the pictures of the Tri Star after its make over
The paint was very good on the frame so I left it. I clear coated the fenders and chain guard though. It adds some sparkle to an already good looking bike.
Other items :
New Schwinn handle bars. They were a little wider and much better chrome.
r/r head set bearings
Replaced the steel front wheel with an aluminum one – polished the rim and hub
Replaced the original rear wheel which was very dented with the wheel from it’s twin , the blue Tri Star
( more about that bike later)
New cables and white cable covers
Polished metal pedals (for more bling)
New 1 1/8 x 27 gum wall tires and tubes
Cleaned and polished original side pull brakes
New brake pads ( kool Stop’s at front wheel.)
Polished Pletcher rack and kick stand.
I would really like to swap out the rear 20 tooth cog for a 24 tooth as the bike as built has ridiculously high gearing with a 48 tooth chain ring and 1st gear only suitable for level terrain or very slightly uphill riding and 2nd and 3rd only useful if you want to go downhill much faster than the brakes can stop you .

I originally put a single speed freewheel on the blue Tri Star but now I decided to change it out for an old Shimano Crane derailleur and a wide ratio 5 speed freewheel (14-32 teeth) which should make it much more useful. I could swap out the bars for drops and loose the fenders but I think I would rather keep the classic townie look.
Nice work! I've considered clear coating the sheet metal parts on some of the projects I've done. Many times, the paint on the fenders and chainguard dull much more than the paint on the frame. Looks like it worked out well here.
Old 03-19-18, 05:43 PM
BigChief

Originally Posted by browngw
It occurred to me the other day that I had never had the bottom bracket apart on my Robin Hood or had any idea of its condition. The bike still looks almost new after 47 years. The chap who I purchased it from had mentioned he "greased all the bearings" and to his credit he had, BUT he did not mention the hammering and drilling to get the cotter out! When I went to check it the cotters came out fairly easy but the drive side was not the right taper, was showing wear and there were what looked like drill marks on the BB axle. The bearing was not smooth feeling but it was just a little crud had fallen in the grease and adjustment. I carefully blued and filed a new cotter, replaced the grease and adjusted the bearing. All is well.
I think from now on I will check everything at the start, not three years later!
Yeah, a pretty hambone job. If he had just taken the time to file the top of the cotter flat and center punch it, the drill would have stayed put and not made such a mess on the crank arm. A 180 degree spread of the crank arms would be quite the bit of luck with that shabby job of cotter fitting. Glad you got it sorted.
Old 03-19-18, 07:14 PM
Steve Bauserman 

Bikes: Need more space

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 14 Posts

On the subject of Raleigh Record Ace's, this is my 1937 as validated by the SN. The rims are wood, the front wheel has radial lacing, the rear hub is now an AW-9 three speed (pictured 48 FW hub was laced to another set of rims for the 48 RRA). The Carradice bag bracketis modern, the Ghisallo wood rims are modern and bell is modern. All of the paint and decals are original. The mudguards are original Bluemels Noweight. The pedals are the original chromed RRA pedals. Besides the current wheelset, I have the original Dunlop Special Lightweights with Bayliss-Whiley hubs and Dunlop Sprite tires. Considering all of the RRA specific parts, if present, the earlier mentioned eBay seller's price is not really that far off the mark. I also have a 1948 RRA without the pedals and the last set (in 48 they were alloy) that came up went for $500.

Steve Bauserman
Missouri City, Texas

Last edited by Steve Bauserman; 03-19-18 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Correction to photo comments
Old 03-19-18, 07:23 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Love to see pics of that Steve!

You can't add up the price of separate components and build that into the price of a complete bike. You'll have to break it up and sell it piecemeal and do all the grunt work packing and shipping.
Old 03-19-18, 07:36 PM
Steve Bauserman 

Originally Posted by clubman
Love to see pics of that Steve!

You can't add up the price of separate components and build that into the price of a complete bike. You'll have to break it up and sell it piecemeal and do all the grunt work packing and shipping.
I agree 100%.

If I had to price out the RRA specific components and period parts to build up a parts RRA, it would exceed the the seller's price by maybe 50%. The 37 was a complete bike when purchased. I added the modern parts and the three speed (still looking for an AW-7) to make it more ride-able. I purchased the bike three years ago.

My 48 which has an FW and therefore not pictured, was built up from original parts from different sources. It was somewhat more expensive.

Steve Bauserman
Missouri City, Texas
Old 03-20-18, 04:13 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Bauserman

On the subject of Raleigh Record Ace's, this is my 1937 as validated by the SN. The rims are wood, the front wheel has radial lacing, the rear hub is now an AW-9 three speed (pictured 48 FW hub was laced to another set of rims for the 48 RRA). The Carradice bag bracketis modern, the Ghisallo wood rims are modern and bell is modern. All of the paint and decals are original. The mudguards are original Bluemels Noweight. The pedals are the original chromed RRA pedals. Besides the current wheelset, I have the original Dunlop Special Lightweights with Bayliss-Whiley hubs and Dunlop Sprite tires. Considering all of the RRA specific parts, if present, the earlier mentioned eBay seller's price is not really that far off the mark. I also have a 1948 RRA without the pedals and the last set (in 48 they were alloy) that came up went for $500.
Interesting choice of a background for the photos. I've always liked Morgans. My uncle had one in the 70's.
Old 03-20-18, 08:01 AM
BigChief

I agree 100%.

If I had to price out the RRA specific components and period parts to build up a parts RRA, it would exceed the the seller's price by maybe 50%. The 37 was a complete bike when purchased. I added the modern parts and the three speed (still looking for an AW-7) to make it more ride-able. I purchased the bike three years ago.

My 48 which has an FW and therefore not pictured, was built up from original parts from different sources. It was somewhat more expensive.
It's always fun to see such great bikes..and Morgans...Thanks for posting the pics.
Old 03-20-18, 08:37 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts

WOW! Just WOW! What a nice old bike, and I would think it's close to period correct for its background? That, and I didn't know there were bicycle rims made from wood?
Thanks for posting these photos.
Old 03-20-18, 08:54 AM
Steve Bauserman 

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
WOW! Just WOW! What a nice old bike, and I would think it's close to period correct for its background? That, and I didn't know there were bicycle rims made from wood?
Thanks for posting these photos.
The Morgan behind the RRA is a 1967. The one to the right is a 1958. Unless you look really close or know them really well, dating a Morgan is tricky since it can be decades between changes.

Steve Bauserman
Missouri City, Texas
Old 03-20-18, 08:58 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
The Morgan behind the RRA is a 1967. The one to the right is a 1958. Unless you look really close or know them really well, dating a Morgan is tricky since it can be decades between changes.
I'll admit, I know very little about Morgan's. Now 60's and 70's Muscle cars are a whole different story.
Old 03-20-18, 04:42 PM
BigChief

I see a lot of overlap here between lovers of old English bicycles, motorcycles and cars. I think the RRA and the Morgan make a perfect match in many ways. If I were to pick a motorcycle to go with the RAA it would have to be the Velocette KSS. Ahhh perfection.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.