Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Will I make it?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Will I make it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 09:05 AM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Will I make it?

I'm signed up for a 100+ (107 miles to be exact, plus probably another 8 junk miles to the start and back) ride in 5 weeks. Been training since Feb, on the road or trainer depending on the weather. I've been riding 100+ miles a week for the last 4 weeks (some of them trainer rides), with my longest road ride being 63 miles. Think I'll be fit enough for this ride. There's a 10 hour time limit and I'll probably need all 10!
Old 04-08-11, 09:19 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You will have "made it" as soon as you start the ride. After that, just relax enjoy yourself. Take it very easy at the beginning. Avoid the temptation to ride with rabbit groups. Take advantage of stops. Drink steadily and eat a bit.

Ride as if the question is "Was it fun?" rather than "How many miles did I do?" With that attitude you may well finish the ride.
Old 04-08-11, 09:47 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is your average speed for the metric? If you could get in an 80 miler, that would be a good test.
Old 04-08-11, 09:49 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I always operated with the formula - If I can do 75 miles with comfort in the same conditions (weather and terrain), I can do the 100 miler too. At 63 miles, you are real close, and I think az-cyclist makes a good point. An 80 miler would be a good test.
Old 04-08-11, 10:39 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
You can do it. Just don't overdo it.
Old 04-08-11, 10:57 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, you managed a metric. You should be able to do the century assuming you are faster than a snail. The main thing with long distances is to keep your pace to a level that you can sustain.
Old 04-08-11, 11:14 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Distance should be fine, the time may be an issue, depends on how you work things.

One thing I've learned in randonneuring is that the time you spend stopped can be deceptive, a few minutes here and a few minutes there and all the sudden 2 hours of your 10 hours is spent diddling around doing nothing. So get off and on the bike at stops in a hurry, be repacking or refilling water bottles while you chew your food, etc.

This also assumes you're not riding flat land for workouts and then doing a super-hilly century.

On a lot of rides that have a time limit like that, they can't actually make you quit riding; they may close down rest stops that you haven't come to yet or something, but they aren't going to tackle you to get you off the road.
Old 04-08-11, 11:47 AM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I agree with the 75 to 80 mile contingent. If you can do that, you can do 100.

Pace yourself and pay attention to fuel and fluids.
Old 04-08-11, 11:56 AM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How long did it take you to do the 63? And how did you feel?

I think you can do it and will.
Drink before you are thirsty,eat before you are hungry, take it easy but don't fool around either. Be steady and it should be fine.
Best wishes to you on your first 100 miler.
Old 04-08-11, 12:30 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I'm not clear as to whether the OP is saying his longest road ride ever is 63 miles or if that's the longest so far this year. Have you done centuries before or will this be your first? Either way, I still say you can do it with the kind of riding you have been doing. Doing a 75-80 mile ride between now and the event would be ideal, but not necessary. If you have done a century before, you have a better idea of how to dole out your efforts to ensure that you won't bonk before the end. If not, you'll need to be more careful and a longer ride before the event becomes more advisable, but still not absolutely necessary. Long rides are all about using stored energy wisely.
Old 04-08-11, 01:31 PM
dendawg

Originally Posted by kr32
How long did it take you to do the 63? And how did you feel?

I think you can do it and will.
Drink before you are thirsty,eat before you are hungry, take it easy but don't fool around either. Be steady and it should be fine.
Best wishes to you on your first 100 miler.
Well the 63, was actually 47, with 16 junk miles to and from the group ride. The 47 miles took 4:26, with 57 minutes spent at 2 rest breaks. My total time for the metric including my junk miles came to 5:47. This ride was my longest this year. The longest I ever did was 72 miles, and that was 2 years ago. I actually felt pretty good after the ride, though I conked out after dinner!

Last edited by dendawg; 04-08-11 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-08-11, 01:35 PM
dendawg

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I'm not clear as to whether the OP is saying his longest road ride ever is 63 miles or if that's the longest so far this year. Have you done centuries before or will this be your first? Either way, I still say you can do it with the kind of riding you have been doing. Doing a 75-80 mile ride between now and the event would be ideal, but not necessary. If you have done a century before, you have a better idea of how to dole out your efforts to ensure that you won't bonk before the end. If not, you'll need to be more careful and a longer ride before the event becomes more advisable, but still not absolutely necessary. Long rides are all about using stored energy wisely.
This will be my first century and the 63 miles is my longest this year. My longest ever was 72 miles 2 years ago. I hope to do an 80 miler this week. I really need to work on the hills as there is around 5-6k of climbing on the ride. Last weeks ride had 1.6k of climbing on the 47 mile section I did with the group. I have a feeling this weeks ride might double that.
Old 04-08-11, 01:40 PM
dendawg

Originally Posted by StephenH
Distance should be fine, the time may be an issue, depends on how you work things.

This also assumes you're not riding flat land for workouts and then doing a super-hilly century.

I've been trying to keep hills in the mix though I sometimes do a longish flat recovery ride after a hard day out.
Today I did some easy laps in a local park, but added a bunch of hill repeats on the one short steep hill there. The ride has quite a bit of climbing
Old 04-08-11, 02:01 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Based on all of the above, dendawg,

I'm fairly certain you will make it! Of course, anything can happen, but you seem to have a very intelligent approach to the ride, so if I were you I would be feeling quite confident.

Rick / OCRR
Old 04-08-11, 02:25 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You have some good advice here, but nothing said about hydration or nutrition. What have you done in that regard? You won't be taking long rest stops to chow down with a pizza. Nutrition and hydration on the run is not difficult and saves a lot of time but needs to be practiced a little. Staying nourished and hydrated is a very important factor. For instance, if you always drank water in your training rides and for the event switched to Gatorade, you may well get a sick stomach and not be able to complete it. Gels are a good source of nutrition and can easily be carried (some tuck them under the shorts just above the knee and are easy to get to) and consumed while ridding. Good luck
Old 04-08-11, 02:46 PM
dendawg

Originally Posted by Phil85207
You have some good advice here, but nothing said about hydration or nutrition. What have you done in that regard? You won't be taking long rest stops to chow down with a pizza. Nutrition and hydration on the run is not difficult and saves a lot of time but needs to be practiced a little. Staying nourished and hydrated is a very important factor. For instance, if you always drank water in your training rides and for the event switched to Gatorade, you may well get a sick stomach and not be able to complete it. Gels are a good source of nutrition and can easily be carried (some tuck them under the shorts just above the knee and are easy to get to) and consumed while ridding. Good luck
I've been riding with 2 bottles of a protein drink mix (Hammer Perpetuem) and for last weeks long ride I added a hydration pack with 1.5 liters of water. I returned with all almost empty. I also carry a squeeze bottle of gel, which hasn't been working so well in the cold weather we've been having but should get better as things warm up. :-)
Old 04-08-11, 04:17 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are already ready based on what I have read here - that is unless it is a century with a lot of climbing.
When I start doing centuries I an usually doing 100 miles/wk and am comfortable with a metric. I think you are at the right spot now.

My first century this year is in the first week in June and I have only been on the road twice, am I worried - not in the least. Although my last 12 mile ride felt awful, I have done this enough to know that within a month I'll be able to do a metric (although with some pain) and although that first century of the season will be slow and I will be spent, it can be done at about a 15 mph average.
Old 04-08-11, 06:16 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
Well the 63, was actually 47, with 16 junk miles to and from the group ride. The 47 miles took 4:26, with 57 minutes spent at 2 rest breaks. My total time for the metric including my junk miles came to 5:47. This ride was my longest this year. The longest I ever did was 72 miles, and that was 2 years ago. I actually felt pretty good after the ride, though I conked out after dinner!
I don't get what you mean by junk miles. If you rode 8 miles to the group, then 47 miles with the group, then 8 miles back home, that sounds like 63 miles to me.

Regardless, it sounds like with 5 weeks to go you should be able to bump that up around 75-80 miles before your century and still have time for an easy week before the century.

I think you'll do it.
Old 04-08-11, 06:54 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Have fun. A reminder. Do not change anything on your bike in the last couple of weeks before the century, or plan on eating/drinking or doing anything else new. Also check out everything on your bike to be sure it is tight, etc.

Today on my ride, my seat started moving back and forth - caught me off guard. It appears that the seat post had been slipping down and I was not aware of it, and when it got to where it had less diameter, it was simply loose. I fixed it, but it cost me some time.
Old 04-08-11, 09:22 PM
dendawg

Originally Posted by scroca
I don't get what you mean by junk miles. If you rode 8 miles to the group, then 47 miles with the group, then 8 miles back home, that sounds like 63 miles to me.

Regardless, it sounds like with 5 weeks to go you should be able to bump that up around 75-80 miles before your century and still have time for an easy week before the century.

I think you'll do it.
I consider the junk miles the easy riding back and forth to the ride start. I usually don't ride them at the same intensity, if any intensity at all. Also there tends to be some waiting time (last week 25 minutes) before the group ride starts, but yes they are still miles ridden.
Old 04-08-11, 09:31 PM
dendawg

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Have fun. A reminder. Do not change anything on your bike in the last couple of weeks before the century, or plan on eating/drinking or doing anything else new. Also check out everything on your bike to be sure it is tight, etc.

The bike had a full tune up 2 weeks ago, new chain, cables and brake pads. In fact I was amazed at how smooth it was shifting. Probably will just need some chain lube. Oh, I will be changing my shoes from my winter ones to my summer ones, and that usually requires a small seat adjustment as the winter shoes have thicker soles. I rode the lighter shoes today for the first time and noticed a bit of seat discomfort.
Old 04-09-11, 06:16 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Today on my ride, my seat started moving back and forth - caught me off guard. It appears that the seat post had been slipping down and I was not aware of it, and when it got to where it had less diameter, it was simply loose. I fixed it, but it cost me some time.
Dnvr,
We are so proud of you - you took a wrench to your bike and it was still servicable afterwards, this is indeed a step forward.
Old 04-09-11, 06:32 AM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Dnvr,
We are so proud of you - you took a wrench to your bike and it was still servicable afterwards, this is indeed a step forward.
I bet his car hasn't been worked on, those bikes just keep falling apart, I just don't get it either.
Old 04-09-11, 06:38 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Dnvr,
Well, not exactly. The first "fix" didn't work, and it got loose and swiveled again. I had to stop and refix it to get home. I tried to call the mobile bicycle AAA, but they were out riding.

And, my cars are in great shape, thanks. But, truly, I haven't had any "mechanical" work done on the cars in a long time, besides regular preventive maintenance. OF course, my 2000 Neon has a grand total of 60,000 miles, and my Town and COuntry about 45,000 miles. But my Lemond has about 30,000 and I have had it in the shop a number of times for a variety of repairs.
Old 04-09-11, 09:15 AM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, DenDawg, we are in a similar situation. I've got a century coming up on May 1. Here's my training schedule:

I've compared the hilliness of my rides with that of the century:

And I think I'm going to be ready enough that I'll enjoy it. I did a hilly 71 miler, and felt good. HOWEVER, I did a 56 mile ride recently in which my butt got very sore, and I don't think I could have ridden another 44 miles. But I think I'll have that fixed (with some careful adjustments and new shorts) by century time.

I think those junk miles count. Sometimes riding slowly can be more tiring that riding fast (more pressure on saddle, for example).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Goals2.jpg (70.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg
Hills.jpg (26.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by TromboneAl; 04-09-11 at 09:19 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.