Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just a thought about getting lighter/better components

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 05:14 PM
pixelharmony

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a tendency to usually get very immersed in my hobbies. I love to mod and spend money. What's interesting with cycling though is it's such an expansive sport that it feels like a black hole of modifications and custom builds.

In the end though I bought a bike for fitness/commuting, and though I want to go faster and further, for me more than a mechanical limit I think reducing my mid section (I probably need to lose more in weight than my bike weighs) and working on my strength, endurance, and technique can do so much more from me than a new hub, crank, or carbon frame.
Old 05-11-11, 05:55 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
pixelharmony, Raising one's personal fitness is the most important 'handshake' upgrade to a bicycle, too often overlooked for the instant gratification sensation of throwing on an often meaningless mechanical 'upgrade'. This applies in different forms to many hobbies/activities.

Brad
Old 05-11-11, 06:35 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
There are a couple of things

1. lighter isn't always better, it's just more expensive.

2. depending the different things that you do with a bike, n+1 may be a better option instead of upgrading. So if you have a hybrid for fitness/commuting, maybe you need a road bike for the further and faster. You may want a touring bike for the days of riding.
Old 05-12-11, 01:50 AM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pixelharmony
I think reducing my mid section (I probably need to lose more in weight than my bike weighs) and working on my strength, endurance, and technique can do so much more from me than a new hub, crank, or carbon frame.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head there. All of the weight reduction achieved by throwing money at a bike in the form of lightweight components can be achieved far cheaper by tuning the engine, which will increase power and reduce weight. Like cyclist2000 said, better components don't necessarily do their job any better, they're just a few grams lighter and more exensive. A front derailleur, for example, will be pretty much the same shape regardless of whether it's steel, carbon fiber or granite.
Old 05-12-11, 02:56 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I seem to have the most fun on the cheapest bikes. I used a low-end rental hybrid to explore Ireland, I use my everyday commuter hack to push the off-road limits of a road bike.
The only upgrade that seems to make any real difference to performance are tyres.
Old 05-12-11, 07:56 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
For me, inexpensive new bikes are ok for casual use, maybe a slow family ride, an occasional trip to the store to pickup some small items or a trip to the local park. For a full on commute, entry level bikes with original components just don't cut it in my book, and neither does an uber light racing bike. Too cheap of a component, and it doesn't last, causing it to be replaced more often, and making it cost as much as a more expensive component in the long run.

To get a certain type of bike, one may need to add/upgrade a considerable number of components, since bike manufacturers may not offer the bike frame/component combination one may want, which is usually how it is in the case of my commuter bikes.

Old 05-12-11, 10:49 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, bikes and components have a cost/quality curve. At the low end, a few more $$ can offer a noticeably improved riding experience. However, as you increase the cost, the quality gains tend to increase more slowly. In the Shimano groups, once you hit Shimano 105, you have gotten about 99% of the improvement you are going to get. Yes Ultegra and Dura Ace are lighter, nicer looking, smoother shifting and so on. But they really do not offer much more except cost considerably more.

The really big improvements in cycling can be attained by training, fitness, improving bike handling technique, properly maintaining your bike (a modest bike well maintained rides better than a neglected top of the line bike), proper bike fit and weight loss. Of course, it is easier to just go out and spend $$$$$$$$$$ on the latest and greatest bike candy.
Old 05-12-11, 11:47 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Cycling is one of the few sports where you can spend money and get better
Old 05-12-11, 04:10 PM
pixelharmony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat
Well, bikes and components have a cost/quality curve. At the low end, a few more $$ can offer a noticeably improved riding experience. However, as you increase the cost, the quality gains tend to increase more slowly. In the Shimano groups, once you hit Shimano 105, you have gotten about 99% of the improvement you are going to get. Yes Ultegra and Dura Ace are lighter, nicer looking, smoother shifting and so on. But they really do not offer much more except cost considerably more.

The really big improvements in cycling can be attained by training, fitness, improving bike handling technique, properly maintaining your bike (a modest bike well maintained rides better than a neglected top of the line bike), proper bike fit and weight loss. Of course, it is easier to just go out and spend $$$$$$$$$$ on the latest and greatest bike candy.
Awesome, it's good to know Shimano 105 is as far as I really need to go. I'm not looking for racing or time trials. But anything that will help make my commute a little easier works for me. My bike has a Shimano Altus rear and while riding the shifting is rough enough where my foot jostles off the pedal (platforms).
Old 05-13-11, 08:15 AM
geo8rge

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How much do you weight? The more you weight the less shaving a few ounces off your bike makes sense.

As far as performance goes, buy easy to maintain equipment as you do not have a team to keep it in shape for you. I would suggest an internally geared hub even though a derailer is mechanically more efficient if maintained properly.

You might be better of spending the money getting more sleep and better conditioning as the bike is really not the most important factor in performance.
Old 05-13-11, 08:36 AM
xizangstan

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a lot to be said for pride in ownership.

I was lucky when my Diamondback mountain bike was stolen the second time back in 1994. I was starting to make good money again as the real estate market was making a strong comeback, and I shopped around, deciding the best mountain bike at the time was the GT Xizang - a titanium-framed hardtail. I spent the bucks and bought the best. I'm so thankful I did!

Over the past 16 years, my trusty "Lady Xizang" has been with me all over the country. And I've kept her upgraded with the best components. She's a collection of good memories, the best parts, and the source of great pride.

The only downside to having the best? You have to be paranoid about someone stealing her. Be very aware and protective.
Old 05-13-11, 08:50 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by xizangstan
The only downside to having the best? You have to be paranoid about someone stealing her. Be very aware and protective.
Most all of my replaced components from upgrades went into help building a beater bike for that very reason. I use the beater bike on my off commute days when I have lots of time, and the bike is going to be left unattended for long periods.

Old 05-13-11, 09:06 AM
pixelharmony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 180lbs right now, but my goal is to get back down to 150-155. Marriage and an office job did a number on me the last 5 years or so.

I definitely feel like I am more of a limit for my bikes performance. Of course if I reach a level where I can outride the bike I'm on it will make sense to upgrade. I'm not against spending the money for racers and enthusiasts I just was hoping I didn't get into the numbers game.

Let's just say I want to make sure the engine is the strongest I can run before I work on the transmission, wheels, and weight reduction.
Old 05-13-11, 09:29 AM
xizangstan

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the age of 64, I still have a lot of strength goals to achieve on my bike. I hope I'm always reaching out toward some goal. That doesn't keep me from enjoying the nicest bike I could afford. I bought the best I could back 16 years ago, have spent even more over the years in upgrades and keeping up-to-date components, and don't regret it. I think if you start with the best frame you can afford, in the type of bike you figure you'll be riding today, tomorrow, 5, 10 and 20 years from now - you can do the component upgrades over the years to come.

I was just taking you literally when you posted your opening statement,

"I have a tendency to usually get very immersed in my hobbies. I love to mod and spend money. What's interesting with cycling though is it's such an expansive sport that it feels like a black hole of modifications and custom builds."
Old 05-13-11, 09:52 AM
Monster Pete

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let's just say I want to make sure the engine is the strongest I can run before I work on the transmission, wheels, and weight reduction.
Pretty good comparison there actually. When people modify cars, the first/only thing a lot of people will do is increase the power of the engine. Next probably would come the brakes, and only then do they go for lighter/stiffer everything else. With bikes the first thing seems to be to remove a few grams or make something marginally stiffer, probably because it's far easier than improving the 'engine' performance.
Old 05-13-11, 10:26 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by Monster Pete
Pretty good comparison there actually. When people modify cars, the first/only thing a lot of people will do is increase the power of the engine. Next probably would come the brakes, and only then do they go for lighter/stiffer everything else. With bikes the first thing seems to be to remove a few grams or make something marginally stiffer, probably because it's far easier than improving the 'engine' performance.
That's the exact opposite thought process that I was taught by many experienced persons in my years of motorsports. The first thing they said was to spend the money on the vehicle in the stopping/handling/durability department first, then drop in a high powered motor.

Nothing worse than chasing your tail by constantly fixing broken poor quality parts/bad handling vehicle that weren't suited to a high powered engine in the first place.

Old 05-13-11, 12:26 PM
Monster Pete

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's the most sensible idea, but all I ever seem to hear of is slightly clueless teenagers tuning their engines without even considering stopping and handling requirements. They're usually the ones who end up wrapped around a tree on a country road. However, tuning the 'engine' first on a bicycle will give the most gain in performance.
Old 05-13-11, 01:22 PM
pixelharmony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
That's the exact opposite thought process that I was taught by many experienced persons in my years of motorsports. The first thing they said was to spend the money on the vehicle in the stopping/handling/durability department first, then drop in a high powered motor.

Nothing worse than chasing your tail by constantly fixing broken poor quality parts/bad handling vehicle that weren't suited to a high powered engine in the first place.
I think his statement is actually pretty accurate (also I'm backing my analogy)

I actually AutoX and know some people that build drag cars. Absolutely right when you're talking about building a car you'll need sleeves, forged internals, bulletproofed trans, suspension, etc. But if you have a 100 hp engine none of that matters really. If I build up to the point where I am being limited by my bike more than my body I'll upgrade.

Again if you have money or you love cycling enough to buy the best part by part that's 100% cool. I was just thinking that I was a little heavy for my height and I could lose a few lbs before I start thinking my bike is too fat.
Old 05-13-11, 02:44 PM
beezaur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have worked within a small budget for a while now, meaning I do without expensive components. For me, the most cost-effective ways to improve performance have been things like these:

Nutrition. I had no idea about how important nutrition was, much less how much difference it makes in riding performance. I was recommended a book on the subject by someone who is in the health and wellness industry: Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook. I think this is the biggest bang for your buck you could possibly get.

General Health and Wellness. A set of free weights, a pair of running shoes, time spent lifting, running, stretching, etc. makes a huge difference in what you can do. Huge payoffs here besides improved cycling performance.

Cycling Technique. I've also purchased books on how to ride, fit your bike, etc. There is a lot to know about how to ride a bike. Again, knowledge is power.

Maintenance. I have enough tools to keep everything running well, make changes that improve performance, etc. This starts to get into the less cost-effective area of improving performance, but I think it is one of those things that ends up saving you quite a lot of money and frustration in the long run.

You need components that function well, but as far as having the latest super-gizmo-this-or-that, I would put high-end components dead last for any sort of ordinary riding. You will see a benefit with something like clip-on aero bars, or maybe a rear disc wheel cover, but the return on investment starts getting really small once you pass a certain point.

It is of course nice to have nice things, but truth be told, top-of-the-line components don't do that much for you.
Old 05-13-11, 03:18 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a tendency to usually get very immersed in my hobbies. I love to mod and spend money. What's interesting with cycling though is it's such an expansive sport that it feels like a black hole of modifications and custom builds.

In the end though I bought a bike for fitness/commuting, and though I want to go faster and further, for me more than a mechanical limit I think reducing my mid section (I probably need to lose more in weight than my bike weighs) and working on my strength, endurance, and technique can do so much more from me than a new hub, crank, or carbon frame.
I do agree that if you can stand to lose some pounds than lighter components are a waste of money, but I also see the other side of the coin too. A new or new to you lighter bike can be very inspirational and lead you to reduce that mid section easier if you find your current bike is less than inspiring. If the lighter/new bike is more fun to ride than your current one, then you'll ride more and get all the goodness that comes with more exercise and that in itself could be well worth the extra cost.

BTW the weight difference needs to be sorta significant to make a difference. Like about 2lbs-3lb difference like say going from a 20lb bike to 17lb or 18 to 15lb. 1lb lighter isn't all to much.

-Brought to you by the council to sell weight weenie bikes to overweight riders

Last edited by 531phile; 05-13-11 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-13-11, 04:28 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by 531phile
I do agree that if you can stand to lose some pounds than lighter components are a waste of money, but I also see the other side of the coin too. A new or new to you lighter bike can be very inspirational and lead you to reduce that mid section easier if you find your current bike is less than inspiring. If the lighter/new bike is more fun to ride than your current one, then you'll ride more and get all the goodness that comes with more exercise and that in itself could be well worth the extra cost.
Pretty much describes the situation my wife was in, she kept buying heavy, poor fitting, poor quality bikes that left her tongue hanging out only after a couple of miles, which eventually made her leave those particular bikes hanging in the rafters for long periods of time.
One day, l let her ride my backup commuter bike, and instantly she felt the difference, letting her ride well in excess of the distance of her previous bikes. She now looks forward to bike rides with me with pleasure, rather than anxiety.

Old 05-13-11, 04:36 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

I actually AutoX and know some people that build drag cars. Absolutely right when you're talking about building a car you'll need sleeves, forged internals, bulletproofed trans, suspension, etc. But if you have a 100 hp engine none of that matters really.
With cycling, that 100 hp motor eventually turns in to 500 hp or more, best to be ready for it ahead of time than be caught off guard and stranded somewhere in BFE cursing a broken poor quality part.

Back to racing, nothing more frustrating than putting in numerous man hours, and only to have a broken or wrecked car sitting on the trailer watching everyone else race.