Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 09:45 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10972 Post(s)
Liked 4,628 Times in 2,126 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I keep thinking about getting a little hatchback. Mom has a Hyundai Accent which I loved til I tried to put a bike in it ( a tiny little road bike). Ever since when I look at a hatchback I just think "Nope, bike hole too damn small"
We have traveled several times with a tandem and two uprights in the back along with a months worth of luggage. At motel room overnights, the bikes stay in the car. That's why my wife makes me drive a van. If I had a three car garage, I could own a sport-mobile, but alas.

Old 04-08-24, 09:45 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8295 Post(s)
Liked 9,082 Times in 4,490 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
What’s the difference between certified pre owned from a honda dealer vs buying a used car from car max.

If one had the choice which would be better, and in the instance the car max pilot is 7000 cheaper and less mileage.
Don't know about a Honda certified but at a GM dealer there are (supposed to be) rules about which cars can become certified. There are age and mileage cut-offs and the car has to have a clean DMV, no crashes, etc. Also, extended warranty comes with the (high) price. Of course a lot of this depends on the used car manager and how much of an unscrupulous lying thief he is.

Have a friend who works at Car Max and their policies are good, at least on paper, but it's always a crap shoot when you buy a used car. So much depends on the people you are dealing with, how truthful they are about things, and if they are willing to step up and take care if something goes wrong. There is always luck involved, too.
Old 04-08-24, 09:49 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10972 Post(s)
Liked 4,628 Times in 2,126 Posts
As a PSA, you might want to keep your pets indoors this afternoon. Don't want this to happen:

Old 04-08-24, 09:52 AM
big john

I keep thinking about getting a little hatchback. Mom has a Hyundai Accent which I loved til I tried to put a bike in it ( a tiny little road bike). Ever since when I look at a hatchback I just think "Nope, bike hole too damn small"
I had a Subaru Legacy wagon which would accept 2 road bikes, lying down with a blanket between them. Tercel wagon, too. Had a roof rack for the Tercel and could put 4 bikes and take 4 riders but the thing could barely pull the weight and a gentle cross wind felt like the thing might tip over.
Old 04-08-24, 09:55 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8852 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,744 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I am in 🌞🌗🌎 land.
I'm not falling for the marketing ploys of big eclipse.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 04-08-24, 09:58 AM
big john

Friend had a Honda Element and we went to Tahoe in it with 2 MTBs on the roof and stuff inside. It was ok as log as it wasn't windy or too hilly. Saw one with a V6 transplanted and suspension tricks, thought that would be way better.
Road tripped in a CRV with 3 MTBs on a rear rack. It wasn't bad and would have been a lot better with some good tires. Stock tires were crap. Maybe stiffen up the suspension, too.
Old 04-08-24, 10:01 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10455 Post(s)
Liked 11,945 Times in 6,114 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I had a Subaru Legacy wagon which would accept 2 road bikes, lying down with a blanket between them. Tercel wagon, too. Had a roof rack for the Tercel and could put 4 bikes and take 4 riders but the thing could barely pull the weight and a gentle cross wind felt like the thing might tip over.
Way back when I owned an Outback wagon with a roof rack, having a bike on top in a crosswind was interesting. It made me think about whether I really wanted to ride in that wind. When I got the Dodge, I looked into whether one could even mount a roof rack on it. The answer was pretty much no, which is fine, because by that time I had completely given up on the idea that Mrs. GJ and/or either of The Boys would ever be interested in cycling. As long as I can fit one bike in the trunk (with the back seats folded down) I'm fine.

BTW, I never left the bike on the roof while at work. I would always wheel it in and park it in my office or just outside out of the way. After a coworker had his catalytic converter stolen in broad daylight, I just assumed anything stealable would be stolen. With the bike in the car, I don't worry. But I also don't leave it outside overnight like that.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-08-24, 10:01 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Originally Posted by bampilot06
Spent hours looking at cars last night in case the van is finished. Don’t consider myself a pessimist more of a realist but if the transmission is indeed done than that is going to cost more to replace than I want to spend.

The interest rates for cars right now seems kind of excessive. Found a couple certified preowned Honda Pilots. The interest rate advertised was like 7 percent. Our credit union is advertising 6 percent. Just seems ridiculous. Hopefully the van isn’t caput, if it is my riding is going to be taking a back seat to me working my ass off to pay for a car that I do not want.
it is not normal for interest rates to be near zero like it was from 2009 to 2021. Used car interest rates at 6% may be a touch above historical average. Perhaps rjones28 can opine as the resident economist.
Old 04-08-24, 10:02 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Is leasing out of the question?
Believe it or not, leasing rates can actually be much higher. Plus, it's often hard to determine what interest rate you are paying through a lease.
Old 04-08-24, 10:10 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Believe it or not, leasing rates can actually be much higher. Plus, it's often hard to determine what interest rate you are paying through a lease.
When I leased the Subaru it was a special zero interest lease, 4 years @15K miles per year. This was in 1995 and we needed something 4wd for the wife and the lease was cheaper than I could buy a 4wd S10 for at the Chevy store where I worked.
Old 04-08-24, 10:16 AM
big john

Originally Posted by genejockey
Way back when I owned an Outback wagon with a roof rack, having a bike on top in a crosswind was interesting. It made me think about whether I really wanted to ride in that wind. When I got the Dodge, I looked into whether one could even mount a roof rack on it. The answer was pretty much no, which is fine, because by that time I had completely given up on the idea that Mrs. GJ and/or either of The Boys would ever be interested in cycling. As long as I can fit one bike in the trunk (with the back seats folded down) I'm fine.

BTW, I never left the bike on the roof while at work. I would always wheel it in and park it in my office or just outside out of the way. After a coworker had his catalytic converter stolen in broad daylight, I just assumed anything stealable would be stolen. With the bike in the car, I don't worry. But I also don't leave it outside overnight like that.
I never liked using the roof rack. When I got the S10 Blazer there was plenty of room for the bikes inside but the ex hated helping to load them and insisted I put the rack on the roof. Had to buy adapters but made it work.
I had pick-up trucks for years but I have always carried my bikes inside my vehicles since the early 90s, with some exceptions.
Old 04-08-24, 10:20 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by seypat
If you're Johnson is that small, you might as well go full on Bubba Truck and make a real statement!
Dude, it has nothing to do with the size of your Johnson, it's about respect.

This is what I drive, and it is not a "full on Bubba Truck," and it is actually what our friend BAM really wants.

Hell, my wife wouldn't even drive a drive a minivan when she was carting kids around!

I get one poster's willingness to drive one. He's afraid of his wife.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 04-08-24, 10:23 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by big john
When I leased the Subaru it was a special zero interest lease, 4 years @15K miles per year. This was in 1995 and we needed something 4wd for the wife and the lease was cheaper than I could buy a 4wd S10 for at the Chevy store where I worked.
As you know, I've been through a lot of cars in my life, but all have been purchases. When I got the Taycan, I leased it for a number of reasons, and it took me a long time to figure out how much the lease cost versus a purchase. They will go far out of their way to hide that money factor number from you!

Anytime you can get zero percent interest, it's a good deal!
Old 04-08-24, 10:23 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,515 Times in 1,512 Posts
Dude, it has nothing to do with the size of your Johnson, it's about respect.

This is what I drive, and it is not a "full on Bubba Truck," and it is actually what our friend BAM really wants.

Hell, my wife wouldn't even drive a drive a minivan when she was carting kids around!

I get one poster's willingness to drive one. He's afraid of his wife.
Respect for what, exactly?
Old 04-08-24, 10:27 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

The size of your johnson, obviously.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-08-24, 10:30 AM
big john

The size of your johnson, obviously.
Duh.
Old 04-08-24, 10:32 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12805 Post(s)
Liked 7,726 Times in 4,095 Posts
His monthly fuel bill maybe?
Old 04-08-24, 10:32 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

As you know, I've been through a lot of cars in my life, but all have been purchases. When I got the Taycan, I leased it for a number of reasons, and it took me a long time to figure out how much the lease cost versus a purchase. They will go far out of their way to hide that money factor number from you!

Anytime you can get zero percent interest, it's a good deal!
Assuming you are not screwed on your trade-in and what you pay below sticker is fair. Eliminate variables and pay cash!
Old 04-08-24, 10:34 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Cars is cars. If you're taking the family someplace, especially if you're also taking friends, or stuff, a minivan works great. The idea that there's something unmanly about it is just weird.

Likes For genejockey:
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

His monthly fuel bill maybe?
or the respect a clunky Ford commands.
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3211 Post(s)
Liked 1,861 Times in 1,172 Posts
Thanks to Datlas’ question in C&V, I have been in a tube patching mode for a couple days. I wiped them all down with acetone, patched them, and then put them in clamps. Six are in clamps atm, and one left, awaiting a free clamp. I will say that C clamps are a more difficult option than the one handed ones. And, wonder of wonders, there were three in that pile that already held air. Ten new tubes ought to last me awhile.
Old 04-08-24, 10:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18441 Post(s)
Liked 15,619 Times in 7,352 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
City school taxes.
Yep. I don’t have kids. Why should I have to pay a school tax?
Old 04-08-24, 10:39 AM
Mojo31
-------

Cars is cars. If you're taking the family someplace, especially if you're also taking friends, or stuff, a minivan works great. The idea that there's something unmanly about it is just weird.

(Pssst, it's a joke.)
Old 04-08-24, 10:40 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by DougRNS
or the respect a clunky Ford commands.
You are right. I posted that to show that I am confident in my manhood despite the size of my Johnson.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 04-08-24, 10:41 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by DougRNS
Assuming you are not screwed on your trade-in and what you pay below sticker is fair. Eliminate variables and pay cash!
Of course, all of the factors come into play.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.