Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

replacement for Cyclistats software

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-22, 07:59 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

I am looking for a replacement for Cyclistats. My computer crashed and I had to replace the hard drive. I can't get an updated version of Cyclistats as it seems it is no longer supported. The old installer I found gives me errors messages when trying to use it.

So any body have a suggestion for a replacement? I used it mostly to track mileage and maintenance on my bikes.

I am trying Strava but so far, not really liking it. Does not seem to have the features I want. I also have Garmin Connects but same issue, it does not have the features I liked from Cyclistats.

I would like to compare miles ridden by week, month or year even. or sort ride by which bike was used. I also want to track maintenance on my bike and I am not seeing a place to do that in Strava. I really do not care about the social connections in Strava. I don't use any social media so those features hold no appeal.

Last edited by Bolo Grubb; 07-06-22 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-19-22, 06:06 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I use SportTracks.mobi to collect my bike rides' data. It is cloud based. You can see my latest ride at this link https://sporttracks.mobi/activity/29699211. I create an event for maintenance tracking. You can import past rides and my Wahoo Bolt uploads the ride when I finish.
If you want a local program Golden Cheetah is an open source one.
Old 06-19-22, 10:08 AM
Bolo Grubb

Originally Posted by texbiker
I use SportTracks.mobi to collect my bike rides' data. It is cloud based. You can see my latest ride at this link https://sporttracks.mobi/activity/29699211. I create an event for maintenance tracking. You can import past rides and my Wahoo Bolt uploads the ride when I finish.
If you want a local program Golden Cheetah is an open source one.
Thanks I will check both of those out
Old 06-20-22, 01:13 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
I have every one of my bicycle rides since 1982 recorded on Cyclistats, and all of the mainteance and parts' mileage on all my bikes since 2006. So I can tell you exactly how many total miles I've logged in the last 40 years, how many miles on each bike, and how many miles on each route. I know, for example, how many miles it's been since I overhauled the hubs on a given bike; the program will give me a red flash if this job is overdue. I love this program and have never seen anything as good as it is.

I have the installer downloaded and saved in my computer files. I've used this installer a number of times with new computers, etc; it has worked fine. I could send you a thumb drive copy of this installer (I don't think this is illegal; I think it's in the public domain.) I know that the program works with Windows 10, but I don't know about Windows 11. Actually, I'm afraid to update to Windows 11 for this reason.
Old 06-20-22, 06:56 PM
Bolo Grubb

Originally Posted by bocobiking
I have every one of my bicycle rides since 1982 recorded on Cyclistats, and all of the mainteance and parts' mileage on all my bikes since 2006. So I can tell you exactly how many total miles I've logged in the last 40 years, how many miles on each bike, and how many miles on each route. I know, for example, how many miles it's been since I overhauled the hubs on a given bike; the program will give me a red flash if this job is overdue. I love this program and have never seen anything as good as it is.

I have the installer downloaded and saved in my computer files. I've used this installer a number of times with new computers, etc; it has worked fine. I could send you a thumb drive copy of this installer (I don't think this is illegal; I think it's in the public domain.) I know that the program works with Windows 10, but I don't know about Windows 11. Actually, I'm afraid to update to Windows 11 for this reason.
that is an idea worth considering. I bought and paid for Cyclistats in 2004, but the installer I was able to find was not up to date or there was some other problem with it. What is the version number you have?

Sadly even if I get a working version of Cyclistats, I will be starting over as I lost the data I had from 2004 until current. At least I have not yet found a back up of it on any of my back up drives.
Old 07-06-22, 08:53 PM
Bolo Grubb

well since I have not found anything I was happy with I decided to try installing cyclistats again. This time on my laptop. It worked with out the error I got on my desktop, but I have no idea why.

this is the error I get on my desktop

I am guessing there is something installed on my laptop that the cyclistats needs and my desktop does not have, but I do not know what.

So I guess I will just use it on my laptop for now.
Old 07-07-22, 08:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked 4,857 Times in 3,347 Posts
Are you specifically looking for something that has to be installed on your computer? If you don't object to having your ride data sent to a website you might use RideWithGPS, MapMyRide, GarminConnect or even the much dreaded (to me) Strava?

If you have a reasonably new Garmin device your data is already probably sitting there on Garmin Connect. And it can easily be sent to RideWithGPS or Strava if you chose to allow that.

If you enter your data manually and don't use a device, then those sites also have a means for you to enter manual data. They also track equipment too. Some maybe better than others. Though I don't know if equipment tracking is available for free accounts. But subscription accounts are pretty inexpensive, IMO.
Old 07-07-22, 11:02 AM
Bolo Grubb

Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you specifically looking for something that has to be installed on your computer? If you don't object to having your ride data sent to a website you might use RideWithGPS, MapMyRide, GarminConnect or even the much dreaded (to me) Strava?

If you have a reasonably new Garmin device your data is already probably sitting there on Garmin Connect. And it can easily be sent to RideWithGPS or Strava if you chose to allow that.

If you enter your data manually and don't use a device, then those sites also have a means for you to enter manual data. They also track equipment too. Some maybe better than others. Though I don't know if equipment tracking is available for free accounts. But subscription accounts are pretty inexpensive, IMO.
As stated in my original post I have (and currently) trying Strava and also Garmin connects. So far neither seem to have the equipment tracking and ride sorting that I would like. I admit that I am new to Strava and maybe just have not learned it well enough yet. Or the feature I am wanting are not available until you subscribe. I would like to be able to test before I subscribe.

I am also looking for a new bike GPS computer as mine is a 14 year old Garmin Edge 305. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? Accept it is stating to have trouble downloading data from the unit to my computer. I am leaning toward a Wahoo Bolt, but still researching head units.

I am already annoyed with Strava in that I had to turn off several email notifications and postings to other social media because I do not want any of that. So far Strava seems like it is "Facebook" for cyclist and runners. Or at least that are the features I am seeing most and do not care about.

I did try Golden Cheetah and did not really like it either. I will check out RideWithGPS, and MapMyRide and any others suggested. I do admit I am old, do not like change and tend to be very picky so maybe I just need to work more on adapting to current offerings.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 07-07-22, 12:54 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked 4,857 Times in 3,347 Posts
I am already annoyed with Strava in that I had to turn off several email notifications and postings to other social media because I do not want any of that. So far Strava seems like it is "Facebook" for cyclist and runners. Or at least that are the features I am seeing most and do not care about.
That's a large reason why I don't use Strava anymore. Even when I go for a relatively easy ride with my son that uses Strava he gets all kinds of their little notices and badges telling him how great he did. They don't even know how bad I beat him up every hill and spent most of my time waiting for him to catch up. Thankfully RideWithGPS doesn't do all that social stuff. That's much of why I like them better and they've always seemed to have a better route planner that works like I expect it to work.

I think RWGPS does have a good equipment tracker but it does take a little getting use to how it works and how to go about setting up your stuff. Though it may well be that you have to have a subscription to use it. But if you are curious, just contact them and ask. Anytime I've had any question and email them they've never failed to answer me back the same afternoon. And I've ask them quite a few questions over the last 10 years.

My only annoyance might be that they are only bike oriented. No way to exclude walking or running miles from the accumulated totals, AFAIK.