Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Extension for Revo shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-23, 10:26 PM
dotyj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Extension for Revo shifter

Hi all:

I've spent two days searching Google and have only found one bike shop that sells extensions for Revo shifters, and they don't ship to the US.

I've been rebuilding a used Pacific Cycles Handy hand cycle I picked up almost two weeks ago and I'm nearly there. I'm waiting for my Shimano Revo 7 speed IHG shifter to arrive, I'll be replacing the cable housing also.

Playing around the the old Micro Shift shifter, which was in poor condition, I discovered I can't shift up, my hand strength isn't good enough due to spinal muscular atrophy.

So, to make a long story short, I need help finding a lever to attach to the shift knob on the shifter.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 08-04-23, 03:56 AM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I am not a bike mechanic. I found a discussion of a similar issue at https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=156474 where people recommended 3D printing something, or fitting bar-end shifters to use for the control. If there is a Maker-type lab or an affiliate of https://moveunitedsport.org/ near you, they may be able to offer suggestions, or to help with design and fabrication.
Old 08-04-23, 08:19 AM
dotyj

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I checked out that thread but it wasn't any real help.

I finally got the shifter set up last night and it works very well. I bought the Shimano 7 speed for IHG shifter, I couldn't find anyone with the 7 speed Micro Shift IHG shifter in stock. The good news is that the twist for selecting gears is larger than the Micro Shift version so there's more to hold on too, the bad news is that it takes me so much effort to turn it that I usually have to stop to do so.
Old 08-04-23, 10:45 AM
dotyj

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Vanraam makes a 3D printed Shimano Revo shift lever, sorry, I can't post links yet.

I contacted them yesterday asking where to buy one, I can't find a vendor who carries it. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon.
Old 08-15-23, 12:34 PM
dotyj

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I found three companies which make revo shift adapters, but not one of them would sell to me or reply to my requests for info.

I ended up buying a bottle mount for bicycles from Amazon. The mount will fit most sized bike tubes.

I installed the mount on my shifter and use the bottle holder as the knob. It actually works pretty well, though it does look a bit odd.
Old 08-27-23, 06:57 PM
dotyj

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I couldn't get anyone who makes handle adapters for rotating gear selectors to sell me one. So weird. Three companies and they all said "No."

So I bought a clamp on water bottle holder bracket and attached that to my rotary shifter, it looks a bit odd but I can use it.