Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

First Race

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 02:35 PM
futuregrace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Race

Hope I don't offend with the spandex comments. Loved the experience, might take awhile to embrace the culture. Can't wait to race again.

https://thehoughs.wordpress.com/2009/...clocross-race/
Old 09-20-09, 03:21 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Nice!
Old 09-20-09, 03:50 PM
theextremist04
Señor Member

Bikes: CAAD10CAAD10CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was reading your post and saw Swope Park. I was surprised, so I scrolled back up and saw KC Cup...hey, I was there too. My first race too, though I did the spandex thing. It was a fun race, and you live in a great town to like cross racing. Maybe I'll see you around some time!
Old 09-20-09, 05:43 PM
nelzar13

Bikes: 1958 raleigh fixed , specialized P2, standard S250, giant cross country bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the good thing about spandex is i never get my shorts snagged on my seat when i remount... iv learned 2 things really quickly through a lot of error, #1, that the crotch of your shorts loves to get caught on the back of your seat remounting. and #2 my junk will not fit between my tire and brake bridge! That and the Dikc pad is the best invention ever!
Old 09-20-09, 06:32 PM
TimJ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The spandex is all about function, really. Loose shorts get caught on your seat in remounts, and spandex is cooler too since there's fewer layers.
Old 09-20-09, 06:38 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,872 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by nelzar13
the good thing about spandex is i never get my shorts snagged on my seat when i remount
I actually have snagged my spandex shorts when remounting during a race. I won't comment on what that means.
Old 09-20-09, 06:52 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,872 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by futuregrace
Hope I don't offend with the spandex comments. Loved the experience, might take awhile to embrace the culture. Can't wait to race again.

https://thehoughs.wordpress.com/2009/...clocross-race/
Nice report. Definitely bring a couple of friends next time! Ideally, cyclocross shouldn't be about spandex and speed so much as it is about mud and fun. If that's not the culture where you are, keep bringing more people until that is the culture.

Around here, the cross culture is just incredible. Most people do wear spandex for the reasons stated above, and a lot of them are really fast, but ultimately it's about having fun. I'm absurdly slow, but I've never caught even a hint of condescension about it from anyone.

In my first race (last year), I was sucking wind so badly at one point that one of the spectators pushed me up a hill. What I've found is that if you're really, really slow but you do it with a smile you'll be a crowd favorite. And as you get a little bit faster but keep smiling, you'll still be a crowd favorite. Mostly, I think they like to see people suffer and smile at the same time.
Old 09-20-09, 08:22 PM
futuregrace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I'll try the spandex out, most people were very nice it was more just realizing I stood out. Like I said, I loved it, want to get a cyclocross bike now and race every chance I get.
Old 09-20-09, 08:57 PM
3MTA3
★ ★ ★

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i want a moonwalk at my next race!
Old 09-20-09, 09:56 PM
ridethatbike
In the top 42%

Bikes: Salsa CCC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great write up and great ride too! I'll be doing my cx race at the Boulevard Cup. It'll be my first bike race in probably 6-7 years. Wish I could have gone out to Swope but had to go to StL for family stuff. See you at the Boulevard race, eh?
Old 09-21-09, 04:50 PM
desmo13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome! I had my 1st race on sunday also. And I couldnt have done it without my little girl ringing the cowbell and holding up a strawberry shortcake coloring book picture that she wrote go daddy on. Kids make getting your butt kicked seem like a victory.
Old 09-21-09, 04:59 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Nice writeup. And great support crew!