Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Going from a dropper post back to a standard post?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Going from a dropper post back to a standard post?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24, 03:18 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I would use the dropper a lot more if I could push the button and the seat dropped on it's on. I hated it when you are going 15+ mph and you have to sit down on the seat to make it drop. The raising the seat part is great though.
Old 03-29-24, 04:37 PM
dmickey68

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not bad
Old 04-20-24, 09:41 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 491 Posts
There is a learning curve to using modern slack geometry.

I was a huge fan of hardtails in the 90’s with low stems and seats jacked all the way to heaven. I even descend on my road bike with the seat pinched between my legs. Old habits.

It wasn’t one or two or even three rides to learn how to ride my modern hardtail. Also, if you’re riding it like an old XC rig, you’re probably not going to get the right kind of practice. For me to truly convert, I also had to ditch my clipless pedals, since they seem to go hand in hand with a steep head angle.

Rail the berms, tackle the rock gardens, and catch some air. It’s the future.

I will admit to removing the dropper on my gravel bike when so many others are adding one. I ride it like a 90’s hardtail and the dropper was more in the way than helpful.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 04-23-24, 09:21 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
A dropper post is crucial to my type of riding. But I was riding long before dropper posts existed. A quick release on the seat post allows you to lower the seat for a super steep descent. And learning to ride by hanging your ass way back over the rear wheel helps too. Typically you position the seat about mid abdomen for the short steeps. It’s all fun!