Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Tire recommendation for n00b

Search
Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 07:33 PM
RacerMike
Huge Member

Bikes: 2009 BMC Team Machine, Pedal Force RS2, Salsa Campeon, Jamis Nova, Trek 7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This will be my first year doing cross. I'll be riding a borrowed Jamis Nova that is 4 or 5 years old and am looking for clincher tire recommendations that will work in most (if not all) conditions reasonably well.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-05-09, 03:38 PM
carlfreddy
Acquiring new target....

Bikes: Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bontrager Jones CXR
Old 08-06-09, 08:10 AM
hocker

Bikes: Road and Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am researching tires as well, and what I have gathered from folks in Boulder is, I should pick a tire that suits the conditions of the races I plan to do. Go to a bike shop in MD that knows something about cross and ask them what they recommend, or find a clinic and see what others are using. I have heard good reviews of the Michelin Mud 2 and Maxxis Raze tires and I may go with the Michelins just because the brand has done me well in the past.
Old 08-23-09, 07:48 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, depends on the conditions you expect to encounter.
Old 08-23-09, 10:45 PM
bitterken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A set of mud tires or all-around tires would be where to start. Mud tires will work for all conditions, but they won't be ideal for most...but I doubt it would matter that much.

I've done all my racing up in New England, and I was okay will Larson MiMo's - which I think are considered all-around tires. This will be my 1st time racing cross in MD, and my buddies tell me that Mich Mud2's are the most common clinchers here.

This season, I'm going to be running Grifo's as my primary tires and will have a set with Fango's for mud. Which ever I don't use at the beginning of a race will be in the pit. I may get some file thread tires at a later time for fire/dirt road rides like D2R2 or other rando type stuff, but I don't think I'll need them for racing.

There's a clinic in Howard County at the end of the month - do you know about it? I won't be there, but I can give you some information about if you're interested. PM me.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your cross season!
Old 08-24-09, 05:39 AM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Challenge Fangos.I think they are a better all-around tire than Grifo and grifo like tread tires
Old 08-24-09, 06:17 PM
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a decent selection of tires but they're all all-arounders or mud tires. Anyone have a recommendation for clinchers that work well on dry, mostly grass courses?
Old 08-24-09, 06:26 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,872 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'm apparently tread-comprehension challenged. I've read a few good links on what type of tread you need for what type of conditions, but they tend to be very text-oriented. Apart from guessing that Michelin Mud2's are a mud tire, I'm not sure what I'm doing.

I'm still using the Locust CX's that came with my bike.

This is a....file tread? Good for packed surfaces? That's what I get from reading what I've read.

Unfortunately (unless I'm wrong), very nearly every race around here (possibly excepting a few pre-crusade races in September) is going to involve mud, mud and more mud. Last year I used these and I didn't notice any problems with them, but last year I raced beginner and finished anywhere from ninth out of 10 to 109th out of 123.

My goal for this year is top 75 in the Master C's, so I could use any benefit I can get from my tires.

What's a good clincher for mud?
Old 08-25-09, 06:42 AM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The above picture you posted is not a file tread. A file tread is found on Challenge Grifo XS, Vittoria XN. Essentially it is smooth with shoulder knobs.

Michelin Mud2 or Challenge Fangos
Old 09-01-09, 07:43 PM
predat0r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Challenge GRIFO are the best all around tire. Fango are better suited for mud.

I am not a fan of file tread, diamond tread, slick, or hard pack tires. Unless you are racing on a course that is pavement and grass I would advise against them. On every course I have done there has always been loose dirt and sand which I personally feel are better suited for something knobbier.

In the end it is all personal preference though.
Old 09-02-09, 07:31 AM
3MTA3
★ ★ ★

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
being a n00b myself, my races were the first races in the morning (aka grass with dew) & i used a more mud-oriented tire. tufos & file treads weren't a good idea. michelin mud's would be great to start, in my opinion.
Old 09-02-09, 09:30 AM
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mich mud2
Old 09-02-09, 10:29 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I used Michelin Mud 2's all last year in the Chicago Cross Cup series and they worked out very well. They didn't do as great as I would like in the really cold events covered in mix of grass, ice, mud, snow...but I am not sure anything really would have.

This year I am switching to tubulars and with budget in mind I have selected some Vittoria something or others...medium looking tread and the tire looks real plasticy/hard - should be good for traniing and they are cheap.

For race....I would like to have a set of mostly mild tubulars. Our courses are almost all grass with some sand and an occassional small mud section that is really just grass that was wet and has been ridden on all day. Any recommendations on something that won't break my bank? Preferably something available through the big distributors.....

Challenge anyone?

Old 09-02-09, 11:17 AM
acorn_user

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The new Continental tubular range is not that expensive. But if you order from Zepnat, FMB and Dugast tyres aren't much more expensive than Challenge tyres (which I like a lot).
Old 09-03-09, 05:07 AM
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
seriously, just get mich muds for this area. My first year racing in mabra I used them for all races in all conditions.

Another option may be challenge grifos. since they are usually the entry level tubular choice it might be nice to have some experience with the same tread on clinchers.
Old 09-03-09, 05:08 AM
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I used Michelin Mud 2's all last year in the Chicago Cross Cup series and they worked out very well. They didn't do as great as I would like in the really cold events covered in mix of grass, ice, mud, snow...but I am not sure anything really would have.

This year I am switching to tubulars and with budget in mind I have selected some Vittoria something or others...medium looking tread and the tire looks real plasticy/hard - should be good for traniing and they are cheap.

For race....I would like to have a set of mostly mild tubulars. Our courses are almost all grass with some sand and an occassional small mud section that is really just grass that was wet and has been ridden on all day. Any recommendations on something that won't break my bank? Preferably something available through the big distributors.....

Challenge anyone?
grifo or fangos. dont mess around with any of the other lower cost options. You can usually get these in the $70 range if you look around.
Old 09-03-09, 07:37 AM
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the Conti tubular range is lost in production limbo. They're putting the brakes on that until next season.
Old 09-03-09, 08:25 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by bitterken
A set of mud tires or all-around tires would be where to start. Mud tires will work for all conditions, but they won't be ideal for most...but I doubt it would matter that much.
I agree with the mud tires as well if you are going to only have one set. The only time they will not be so ideal is on the pavement. They still do well on dry grass and dirt. But here is the thing, if it rains and gets muddy you will be perfect. The performance advantage ratio of mud tires in the mud to mud tires in dry conditions is greater than the ratio of dry tires in dry conditions to dry tires in the mud if you get my drift.