Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is it normal to be able to push a tire off the bead?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-22, 10:01 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts

I have ENVE Foundation 45 wheels. I was running ENVE SES tires and in the past I never remember being able to do this. Is it normal to be able to push on the sidewall and get sealant to come out? These tires aren't listed on the ENVE compatibility chart for this wheel but they are for other hookless wheels made by ENVE and when I emailed ENVE, they specifically said that the Michelin Power Road TLR was compatible with the Foundation 45 wheel. This has me concerned though. Should I be worried about riding them?

Old 05-26-22, 12:22 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Normal? Yes. But not optimal IMO. You should add layers of tape until this doesn't happen. A) this will reduce air and sealant leakage and B) it'll reduce the chances of burping in hard corners.

here's a test I do with my TL setups *before* adding sealant:

notice how there's no hissing. I'd recommend trying this at various pressures, from 20psi to 72.

if you get hissing or burping, remove the tire and add a layer or two of (wall to wall) tape.
Old 05-26-22, 05:28 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
To say that you're pushing them off the bead is a bit dramatic.

I've run those, among others, on my Zipps (also hookless). Being able to get a tiny hiss and sealant bubble, particularly upon initial seating, hasn't been unusual and had never concerned me. I don't think that, in and of itself, is indicative of a problematic fit. Do they stay put when you deflate them?

The loosest tires I've tried, Pro One Evo Addix, would actually unseat when deflated and pressure reached zero-ish. *That* made me a little uneasy, and also made sealant maintenance a little bit more of a chore, but even that was never a problem in practice.

Last edited by WhyFi; 05-26-22 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-26-22, 06:14 AM
InvertedMP 

Originally Posted by WhyFi
To say that you're pushing them off the bead is a bit dramatic.

I've run those, among others, on my Zipps (also hookless). Being able to get a tiny hiss and sealant bubble, particularly upon initial seating, hasn't been unusual and had never concerned me. I don't think that, in and of itself, is indicative of a problematic fit. Do they stay put when you deflate them?

The loosest tires I've tried, Pro One Evo Addix, would actually unseat when deflated and pressure reached zero-ish. *That* made me a little uneasy, and also made sealant maintenance a little bit more of a chore, but even that was never a problem in practice.
I have simply not noticed this with any other tire. Not saying it isn't common but it did make me nervous. The ENVE SES tires were much tighter on the rim so when I pushed on these and heard a hiss and saw sealant, it made me nervous about potentially pulling the tire off the rim in a turn. It could be totally normal and common so if it is, I am all good lol. But having never noticed it before I thought i would ask.
Old 05-26-22, 06:31 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
I have simply not noticed this with any other tire. Not saying it isn't common but it did make me nervous. The ENVE SES tires were much tighter on the rim so when I pushed on these and heard a hiss and saw sealant, it made me nervous about potentially pulling the tire off the rim in a turn. It could be totally normal and common so if it is, I am all good lol. But having never noticed it before I thought i would ask.
No, I get it and I didn't mean to come off as dismissive, but it's likely that it's a non-issue. I mean, we road tubeless users have been *****ing about the too-tight fit of tires since the beginning - now that we're finally getting tires that don't require a kung-fu grip to unseat and we're worried

I would, out of curiosity, deflate the tire and see what happens, though - I expect that, even with no pressure in the tire, you'll still have to give it a bit of effort to for the beads to pop off the shoulders and back in to the middle rim well. Mostly, in your position I'd like to know what maintenance is going to be like - having the tires auto-unseat when checking sealant levels, and then having to reseat them, is a bit of a pain. When I was running the Schwalbe, I bought some MilKit valve stems just to get around this issue - they can keep 10-20psi in the tire while you add/remove sealant.
Old 05-26-22, 06:35 AM
InvertedMP 

Originally Posted by WhyFi
No, I get it and I didn't mean to come off as dismissive, but it's likely that it's a non-issue. I mean, we road tubeless users have been *****ing about the too-tight fit of tires since the beginning - now that we're finally getting tires that don't require a kung-fu grip to unseat and we're worried

I would, out of curiosity, deflate the tire and see what happens, though - I expect that, even with no pressure in the tire, you'll still have to give it a bit of effort to for the beads to pop off the shoulders and back in to the middle rim well. Mostly, in your position I'd like to know what maintenance is going to be like - having the tires auto-unseat when checking sealant levels, and then having to reseat them, is a bit of a pain. When I was running the Schwalbe, I bought some MilKit valve stems just to get around this issue - they can keep 10-20psi in the tire while you add/remove sealant.
You couldn't be more right. The reason why I didn't buy another set of SES tires was because they were near impossible to mount, and to that end, remove when you are swapping tires lol. The Power Road TLRs were a dream to mount by comparison, but I am seeing the trade off here lol.
Old 05-26-22, 06:45 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4411 Post(s)
Liked 4,862 Times in 3,008 Posts
I've never seen this before. Only time I've seen sealant seep out from the bead is when the tyre is deflated. I did it by accident the other day when I was checking my tyre pressure. The valve released most of the air when I was attaching my track pump (it was down to below 10 psi) and a bit of sealant seeped out from around the beads. But it was fine when I pumped it back up to full pressure. I did push on the sidewall too because I was worried the deflation might have unseated the tyre.