Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Hardtail VS Road Bike

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Hardtail VS Road Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-22, 10:39 PM
AnnMa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hardtail VS Road Bike

Question to those who ride both road and mountain bikes. Is your mountain bike smaller than your road bike or is it the same size? I am 5'9 and I rode a 56 road bike for a few years. It was ok, but I switched to a 53 and it is so much more comfortable. I also have a large, 29er mountain bike that is too big, but I didn't ride it much and it was cheap so I didn't care. However due to a move, now I have a lot better options for mountain biking, so I bought a better quality Medium 27.5 hardtail. I noticed the hardtail is slightly bigger than my roadbike. So I am just curious of other people's experiences.

Ps. I wanted to add a pic, but it tells me "Alert" and nothing else when I am trying to upload it.
Old 04-03-22, 12:19 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Do you mean the MTB fits slightly bigger, looks bigger, or measures bigger?

Generally if the size of the MTB feels fine and does not cause any concerns or limitations, there’s no reason to change. Unless you don’t like the color!
Old 04-03-22, 01:57 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by AnnMa
Question to those who ride both road and mountain bikes. Is your mountain bike smaller than your road bike or is it the same size? I am 5'9 and I rode a 56 road bike for a few years. It was ok, but I switched to a 53 and it is so much more comfortable. I also have a large, 29er mountain bike that is too big, but I didn't ride it much and it was cheap so I didn't care. However due to a move, now I have a lot better options for mountain biking, so I bought a better quality Medium 27.5 hardtail. I noticed the hardtail is slightly bigger than my roadbike. So I am just curious of other people's experiences.
Ps. I wanted to add a pic, but it tells me "Alert" and nothing else when I am trying to upload it.
The 'alert' should be a notice that you can;t post a pic until you reach at least 10 'posts' (post anywhere in BF)
I'm now a hair above 5'9", and a I ride Spec. Tarmac, Roubaix and assrtd older roadies - 56 or 57cm, mostly 'square' geo dims... Spec calls them a L.
Ride the same designation for my Spec Stumpjumper FSR - L. The Stumpy is 27.5 and still physically much larger than the road bikes, but 'fit' is fine.
mtb position is much more upright and 'forward' than road, and both road and mtb feel, work, are comfortably great. The 'position' one might want for road and mtb are usually so different that comparing bike 'size' is usually not gonna result in any important info.... I tried riding a 29r mtb, and found it just too unwieldly to handle in tight, sketchy situations - very much prefer the handling of my 27.5.
I don;t do high speed flow/downhill mtb, but I do ride trails with a technical nature, at a 'survival' speed... LOL!
If you like the way your mtb feels/fits, then don;t worry about the size appearance.
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 04-03-22 at 02:01 PM.