Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bryton Rider 420 waypoints interfering with turn by turn guidance.

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-22, 04:32 PM
tubesocksFred

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I've decided to bike commute to work since we were told to start getting ready to head back to the office. I've taken the 20 mile commute. I used g00gle nav to listen to its guidance through headphones, but it constantly want to take me on bike paths, and if I go off course or ride on adjacent streets, it would constantly announce to me to turn around or go back to its preferred path. If I use stopovers to force it onto a certain street, the navigation would stop once I reach the stopover, requiring me to resume the navigation. So when I lost GPS bike computer, I decided to get a Bryton Rider 420 with their Bryton Active app to create routes.

When I started creating routes, I used as many waypoints to make sure the route stays according to the path I wanted to go, then when I rode the route, it was giving me all these crazy turn directions, including some that told me to turn right after I passed the turn. It seems to treat those waypoints like a silent POI, indicating the distance to that waypoint, then after the waypoint, the distance to the next turn or waypoint. Is that how waypoints are treated in GPS computer with breadcrumb and turn guidance feature?

My alternate approach is to add a waypoint, then add another one farther down the route, then delete the previous waypoint, if the route didn't change, I would proceed with a farther waypoint. If it did change, I will delete the latest waypoint and add the earlier one back, etc. There seem to be no way to delete or move waypoints in the app like you can in g00gle maps.

I could also import a route or use an existing ride of mine to create a route, where there are no waypoints, then having the app overlaying it with turn cues. But that requires me to have done a perfect ride, with no going wrong ways or making u-turns (the 20 mile commute involves alot of turns).