Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Pulled Patellar Tendon

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Pulled Patellar Tendon

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-24, 08:21 PM
jemaleddin
New but Nice

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 3.0, 1981 Fuji S12-S Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Pulled Patellar Tendon

Hey all,

I (49M) did my first century two weeks ago, had a great time, but 65 miles in I was stopped at a light and when I started off I was in a high gear and pushing down with my left foot while trying to get my cleats engaged strained my patellar tendon.

I’m seeing a PT since it didn’t resolve itself in a week and he has me icing the knee and doing a number of exercises to strengthen the supporting muscles around the knee. I’d love to hear about other people’s experiences!

My questions are:
  • How long does this usually take to get back to normal? The PT says 2 months for full recovery, but that’s a week after my next scheduled century. 😬
  • How long before I can get back on the bike? I asked the PT of the pain was just pain or if it was hurting the tendon and he said the latter. I’ve tried some VERY light indoor pedaling but after a few minutes the pain comes back.
  • Any tips? Tricks? Home remedies, witchcraft or helpful folklore?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-24, 10:23 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 425 Posts
Well, first of all I’d think that the upcoming century you referenced is likely out of the question…for quicker recovery anyway. But you need to consult with your Dr/PT since I’m neither. In the meantime, I guess you need to stay off it as much as possible, ice frequently, and NSAIDS as prescribed by them.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 05-11-24 at 10:41 PM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 05-13-24, 01:12 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by jemaleddin
Hey all,

I (49M) did my first century two weeks ago, had a great time, but 65 miles in I was stopped at a light and when I started off I was in a high gear and pushing down with my left foot while trying to get my cleats engaged strained my patellar tendon.

I’m seeing a PT since it didn’t resolve itself in a week and he has me icing the knee and doing a number of exercises to strengthen the supporting muscles around the knee. I’d love to hear about other people’s experiences!

My questions are:
  • How long does this usually take to get back to normal? The PT says 2 months for full recovery, but that’s a week after my next scheduled century. 😬
  • How long before I can get back on the bike? I asked the PT of the pain was just pain or if it was hurting the tendon and he said the latter. I’ve tried some VERY light indoor pedaling but after a few minutes the pain comes back.
  • Any tips? Tricks? Home remedies, witchcraft or helpful folklore?

Thanks!
PTs are great, and you likely saw an MD to get a referral, but did you see an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in knees? I have knee problems (shredded cartilage in left knee and arthritis) and the diagnosis and follow-up were impressive and much better than what the PT I'd been working with had been saying.

Helpful folklore? When I shredded the cartilage in my left knee riding a mountain bike, one of my "woo-woo ish" friends gave me a knee brace with magnets in it. Since I couldn't compare it with anything, who knows? Maybe it worked miracles.
Old 05-13-24, 07:17 AM
jemaleddin
New but Nice

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 3.0, 1981 Fuji S12-S Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
I actually haven’t seen a general practitioner or surgeon, if only because it was relatively easy to diagnose from the location of the pain, the cause of the injury, and the fact that I can do one-legged leg presses pretty easily: strained, but not shredded.

I haven’t been taking NSAIDs at all until the last couple days because I was worried about masking the pain and re-injuring myself because of my innate overconfidence. But now that I’ve figured out that I can’t bike, run or sit for long periods, I’m going to focus on ice and Ibuprofen just to keep the swelling down.

I’ll be on the lookout for some magnets - maybe the ones on my fridge might help? 😀